Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

For those interested: the Emonda SL 6 weighed 7.64kg in size 58, claimed weight is 7.39

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

MisterNoChain wrote:For those interested: the Emonda SL 6 weighed 7.64kg in size 58, claimed weight is 7.39

Weight between 56cm and 58cm frame is marginal but 250 grams delta isn't so marginal per se.
If its not too much trouble, could you please weight the seatpost?
Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

:arrow: CBA = Chronic Bike Addiction
:arrow: OCD = Obsessive Cycling Disorder

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

mpulsiv wrote:
MisterNoChain wrote:For those interested: the Emonda SL 6 weighed 7.64kg in size 58, claimed weight is 7.39

Weight between 56cm and 58cm frame is marginal but 250 grams delta isn't so marginal per se.
If its not too much trouble, could you please weight the seatpost?

On the SL 6 they use their normal seatpost, not the SLR version. The normal one i have on my own Domane, 148gr for the 175mm version.
It's a shame Trek keeps using their Bontrager wheels, those Bontrager race wheels weigh more then 1800gr :noidea:

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

MisterNoChain wrote:It's a shame Trek keeps using their Bontrager wheels, those Bontrager race wheels weigh more then 1800gr :noidea:

That's why there are always a couple dozen posted on ebay. They're boat anchors!

Ozrider

by Ozrider

The RXL wheels weigh 1440g and are tubeless compatible.
Right in the ballpark weight wise for alloy clinchers

The cheaper wheels are heavier, found on cheaper bikes, much the same as any other manufacturer does, ie Cervelos with Fulcrum Racing 5 or 7s on most their bikes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yes, I ordered my wife's Domane with the RXL wheels, but my Madone 5 came with Race wheels (which were later sold). The RXL's are a very nice, solid wheelset.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Racing is a three-dimensional high-speed chess game, involving hundreds of pieces on the board.

mythical

by mythical

That the Émonda is now available in Project One configuration is probably the best news for people wanting only this frameset or customizing its finish. The Vapor Coat option can be chosen as well, and IMO looks better than the one on the SRL 10.
Suddenly, building an ultralight bike with this frame got a whole lot more interesting, even though you'd probably have to buy the cheapest configuration and dump a bunch of components on a another cyclist or bike! :popcorn: :beerchug:
Too bad it's still Trek's stupid BB90... :noidea:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

105, Race wheels, aluminum bits all around... yeah!

djconnel

by djconnel

mpulsiv wrote:http://cyclingtips.com.au/2014/07/test-riding-the-new-trek-emonda

Away from the SLR version, the SL frame comes in at 1,050g (56cm) and the fork at 358g (240mm steerer tube). This build uses 500 series OCLV carbon where the SLR uses 700 series. The direct-mount brakes are replaced with standard calliper brakes and the fork, unlike the SLR, isn’t of the asymmetric type. But that’s pretty much where the differences end — both have a BB90 bottom bracket, a new ride-tuned seatmast and the DuoTrap S speed sensor that has been updated to make it slimmer and more integrated.

A step further down the range is the S model which, with 300 series OCLV carbon, weighs 1,220g on a painted 56cm frame with a fork of 518g.

Users unwilling to spend $$$ for top end model think they're trading worse aerodynamics for lighter weight?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I think that Pinarrello has that symbol trademarked already. Sorry.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Also Vittoria Crono tyres don't sound very flat resistant to me. Nothing like an expensive light bike pulling over on the first ride because of a flat. I am going to give a sub 5kg project ago but on a budget.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

Users unwilling to spend $$$ for top end model think they're trading worse aerodynamics for lighter weight?

Emonda was tagged with the worst aerodynamics already? Here's the splash on aero data.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

The S and SL's are just plain heavy. Starting with a 690g frame, you almost have to ask where in the hell did they add the 330-550~g?

518g fork? That's not a typo? Bizarre to have that much disparity.

mpulsiv

by mpulsiv

SLCBrandon wrote:The S and SL's are just plain heavy. Starting with a 690g frame, you almost have to ask where in the hell did they add the 330-550~g?

518g fork? That's not a typo? Bizarre to have that much disparity.

Perhaps disparity is in the carbon layup?
SLR layup - Ultralight 700 Series OCLV Carbon http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ro ... a_slr_h1/#
SL layup - Ultralight 500 Series OCLV Carbon http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes/ro ... frameset/#

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com