Roval Clx users - braking pads advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Omcannondale

by Omcannondale

Hello,

I ve got a Roval Clx60 wheels and I m not getting the braking modulation and power that i would get. I know that this whels have a carbon brake surface and never will be the same of an aluminium ones. I ve tried Corima Red and Swisstop Black Prince. Anybody has experience with this wheels (or clx40) and differents pads combinations? In this moment i m wearing swiistop on front and corima rear.

Thanks for your time and sorry my bad English!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yeah I have a set of CLX40. I am currently using sram red 2011/CLX40/black prince. The braking is certainly not as good as my ee/meilensteins/black prince. I wasn't sure if my sram red 2011 brakes weren't getting the leverage due to the wide rim but apparently it isn't an issue with other wide rims. I find sanding the pads and cleaning the braking surface with alcohol helps a lot as the pads seemed to get glazed easily. Will keep an eye on this thread.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Have you tried the Specialized pads? I think that some of the pads mentioned above will void the warranty.

swiftvelo

by swiftvelo

The stock Specialized pads are great. They wear a little quick , stopping is great. I'm using eecycleworks brakes. That might help.

Omcannondale

by Omcannondale

I ve tried Corima because was sell by an specialized supplier. Here in Spain i can't find the Specialized pads. Do you know where can i find it?

NiFTY

by NiFTY

What specialized pads are you talking about. The wheels came stock with swissstop black prince pads when I got them?

Someone has recommended the Koolstop carbon black for improved power.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

I have both 60's and 40's and use the factory supplied (they are black princes) pads and Enve pads with Ciamillo and Red22 calipers. The braking isn't as good as either my Enve 6.7 clinchers or my 3.4 tubulars but the difference isn't major.

IMO, Black Prince pads are the best, readily available pads you can get for carbon wheels.

Omcannondale

by Omcannondale

Thanks for your coments, i will mount black prince. If anybody has more experience with other combinations (for example Reynolds crioblue) please let ne know. Now i m using sram force calipers, is there to much diference with new sram red aerolink?

eric

by eric

SLCBrandon wrote:IMO, Black Prince pads are the best, readily available pads you can get for carbon wheels.

I found the Reynolds blue pads to be a bit better, and cheaper than Black Prince pads, on FarSport rims with the basalt brake surface.

But it depends on the rims. I would not make a blanket recommendation for all carbon rims unless I had experience on a wide selection of rims.

SLCBrandon

by SLCBrandon

Hmm, well first off, I prefaced with "In my opinion".......so.......its my opinion. Secondly, I have used ENVE, SwissStop Yellow, Black Prince and Reynolds blue on ENVE, Specialized, Reynolds, Zipp and 3 pairs of chinese hoops over the last 3 years or so.

So, I feel comfortable making that blanket recommendation. Your results may vary, my friend.

Permon

by Permon

Campagnolo red brake pads are the best pads at the moment.
Why?
A lot of non-campagnolo sponsored teams are using them on Shimano and Sram callipers

Omcannondale

by Omcannondale

Are Campagnolo pads compatible with Sram callipers¿?

Wotan

by Wotan

I use also the campy pads on my dura ace 9000 brakes- best braking performance of all tested pads for the Rovals (blackprince, yellow)!

Campy produce the pads also for shimano/sram Standards - here are the products numbers: Campagnolo: BR-BO500, Shimano: BR-BO500X

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

taylorpetie

by taylorpetie

Omcannondale wrote:Are Campagnolo pads compatible with Sram callipers¿?

Yes, there's is a Shimano/SRAM fit model of the campagnolo pads.