Dura Ace di2 + Hollowgram Sisl2 vs. Campag SR RS mechanical

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I'm in the process of planning a new build - Parlee Z5Sli (updated model, likely due in September). I've always been a Shimano fan, but been curious of Campag - it just looks so much more refined.

With SR RS on the market and the updated 2015 version due soon (September?) - is now the time to move? I do like the electronic shifters (EPS is probably too much of a stretch), but there's a lot of clutter under the stem, and not to mention the charging, etc, etc... the thought of going for the very best mechanical groupset on the market is very enticing. Not to mention the potential for weight savings (which could be offset with a Cannondale hollowgram sisl2 chainset...).

Any thoughts / advice would be very welcome!
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

Stefano

by Stefano

I may be a bit biased but... Campy mechanical just won the tour!!

As far as real criteria-- I have campy record 11 and have ridden a rental with di2. I never really cared for it (not enough feedback), and the brake lever on their mechanical group drives me crazy. That said, it did have smooth shifting and braking and was pretty nice. Campy is just as high performance, just way nicer IMO. You can really feel/see the quality and care taken in producing the parts.

You can also probably get a good deal on old 11s now that the 11+ is coming out. You could then spend that saved money on ee brakes or wheels or something.

Stefano

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ITTY

by ITTY

I've always preferred the ergonomics of Campy gear over anything else. It also works really well. Shimano does too. It all comes down to what you think feels the best and looks the coolest. I agree with you that Campy looks more refined, aka elegant, compared to Shimano's boring style.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

morrisond

by morrisond

What did they update on the Parlee Z5Sli?

greentimgreen

by greentimgreen

I agree with you both - Campy is probably the way forward. RS most likely which is 11+ compatible as I understand.

I'm told the Z5 SLi is being updated (released at Eurobike in late August) to allow more clearance for Firecrest type wheels and 25mm tyres. I'll be using 202 Clinchers and 25mm GP4000s so I need the update (or so my LBS tells me).
2014 Parlee Z-Zero DADi2 & ENVE (6.2kg)
2015 Colnago C60 RSWH Campag Chorus & Mavic SLR (c.7kg)

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

"I agree with you both - Campy is probably the way forward. RS most likely which is 11+ compatible as I understand. "

Sorry, no - Rev 11+ levers and mechs MUST be used together, changed cable pull ratios F and R, etc.

We did try a set-up on the "old" levers with the 2015 mechs at the factory a couple of weeks ago - no go (& I mean NO GO .... not even slightly).

You could probably bodge something up and no doubt a million posts will follow that begin "Well, I took the oojamaflip out of the whotsit and ground 0.00656 mm off it" .... but out of the box it's a case of zero compatibility.

Shifting on the front won't be optimal without the new chainset - it's pretty much the same as 2014 (so still darn good, just *not as good as it could be*) if used with the previous chainsets incl. RS.

HTH
Graeme
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC
Pls contact via velotechcycling"at"aim"dot"com, not PM, for a quicker answer. Thanks!

supermidget

by supermidget

Still prefer mechanical to electronic shifting, so a vote for the SR RS here!

OrPe

by OrPe

2015 record (or chorus, or SR) methinks. If you can afford the wait (and though current rev of campy is superb) - why not get the latest?

I really don't like how shimano shifts - it lacks the feedback you get on a campy group.

Oren (riding 2010 chorus happily).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

I would wait for new Campy groups or buy DA9000 mechanical.

I don't think it is logical to buy the older one, while you know that the new one will be soon. And also I am not a big fan of electronic groups.
so DA9000 and few better components with the money saved.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com