The Canyon love thread

Moderators: maxim809, Moderator Team

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

Juggler wrote:
nathanong87 wrote:tape to tape. not tape to bars.

Could you specify this? Doesn't make sense to me...

tape the tape, to itself. The tape sticks to the bars on it's own and if done right will not move or shift. The finishing tape is just for sponsor logos and keeping it from unraveling. Taping to the bars is messy looking and does actually end up more prone to stretching after moisture / sunlight bakes it.
http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/file ... CF0567.jpg

super glue is next level.
http://cdn.triathlete-europe.competitor ... IK8390.jpg

anything else aesthetically is amateur hour
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-VXAKOW8fgxo/T ... de+012.jpg

bombertodd

by bombertodd

Juggler's tape job looks good to me!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Juggler: Your bike looks great and the taping job is good, obviously ignore the pedants who think it has to be done their way.

Dick

by Dick

Above motion seconded; my taping is completely different to the other guys I ride with and I get a lot if stick for how "bad" it is....

It's never come loose, covers my bars and is more than comfy - what more do you need (apart from lighter variants :))

joec

by joec

or use string...

bit retro though....

joec

by joec

at the risk of derailing the tread onto another subject...

I was having a driunken chat with some guys a while back about handlebar taping, it was a whats better to work from the bar ends in, or the stem out...
it cuminated with a bar end in result as if your on the top of the bar its nicer to slide down to the brake levers as it can ruck if its the other way.
then somone chips in with 'nah your all wrong, you work from the brake levers out, then its nocer to slide up to the levers on the drops, and down to them from the bar.

i taped my last set this way and I do like it.

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

I also got linked cables (Jagwire) installed on my CF SLX

RRsport

by RRsport

RRsport wrote:

Still got my Aeroad, and I still love it, great bike in anyway.
I was thinking of changing to something else (colnago, but I don’t like their new frame, to bulky) for next season, but think I will stick to Canyon and go for the new Aeroad, any one that knows when it will come for sale?
Alexander Kristoff has been using one since TDF.

Juggler

by Juggler

Canyon have already shown some of their new 2015 bikes on their website... however the Aeroad is not one of them. But it must be "just around the corner".

Don't know anything about when they will be up for grabs though.
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

RRsport

by RRsport

Thanks Juggler
Juggler wrote:Canyon have already shown some of their new 2015 bikes on their website... however the Aeroad is not one of them. But it must be "just around the corner".

Thanks Juggler, I am also considering the Ultimate CF SLX, in team edition, I like Campa but not sure on the movistar edition, its a bit much in my taste.
But I see that you have both, do you feel a big different between Ultimate and Aeroad? I live outside Geneva, and do mostly hilly trips, so naturally the Ultimate should fit well.

Juggler

by Juggler

I fully understand you, RRsport... I wanted Dura Ace Di2, but not the Katusha Team Edition. Ended up buying the frameset, and then all the other parts on the side. Might have been a bit more expensive, but in the end I got the bike that I wanted :)

Since it is the "old" Aeroad I have, it is not fair to make a 1 to 1 comparison. But with regards to stiffness they feel the same. In your case (living in a hilly area) I would go for the Ultimate CF SLX. Fantastic finish on that frame... and the weight penalty on the Aeroad is a tough price to pay for an aero advantage you might never get. However the new stem/handlebar combo on the Aeroad looks awesome.

Tough choice... :)
2012 Canyon Aeroad CF 8.0 Di2
2014 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2

RRsport

by RRsport

Thanks Juggler, as you say I will never fully use the aero advantage you get, no mater how flat it is where I am biking.
And I have one today, so if I keep that one and get an Ultimate I can swap around depending on the trip/race. The Ultimate looks great, wonder how the 2015 model will look.

the 2015 is a good looking bike, but not sure about the rear wheel going "into" the, a bit to TT for me maybe. Kristoff used it on the mountian stages as well, so I am sure I can use it there as well....

http://cdn2.coresites.mpora.com/rcuk/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/KristoffBike.jpg

tomtom

by tomtom

RRsport wrote:Thanks Juggler
Juggler wrote:Canyon have already shown some of their new 2015 bikes on their website... however the Aeroad is not one of them. But it must be "just around the corner".

Thanks Juggler, I am also considering the Ultimate CF SLX, in team edition, I like Campa but not sure on the movistar edition, its a bit much in my taste.
But I see that you have both, do you feel a big different between Ultimate and Aeroad? I live outside Geneva, and do mostly hilly trips, so naturally the Ultimate should fit well.

I think the SLX is the better option too. I own both and feel that the Aeroad (although much prettier :D is less stiff and more heavy. For straight and flat it's better but the SLX is (far) more around!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

amey

by amey

The current winter/daily commuter/trainer bike I have is steel and custom made (not for me) its amazing; has wide tyre clearance (long drop brakes) and mudguard mounts. Not THAT heavy for steel (with steel fork) given its Columbus Max.

BUT its getting a bit upright for me with 120mm 10 deg stem slammed.

So I am toying with an idea to get Ultimate AL SLX for these purposes and to start racing next season. The things I will gain is an entry level alu race bike for next season; lighter (?) and not as upright. I will shift everything from the current bike to this; 10sp ultegra with rotor 3D 24 cranks with P2M and kinlin XR200 on novatec wheels.

What I want to know is what are the tyre clearances? Can I fit 25mm (on narrow rim) and Raceblade Long mudguards? Is this a good idea?

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

jsprbcn wrote:I also got linked cables (Jagwire) installed on my CF SLX

I did a first ride with the new brake cables and they run silky smooth 8)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com