CX tires for MTB mud.

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

I am currently planning a 29er MTB build and I am thinking about getting some CX tires for when it gets really muddy as I have never had great experience with mud tires as my rides have some road riding too and mud MTB tires suck all speed on the road. And I could save around 300-400g per tire!

Anyway It'll be a 29er carbon and rigid, but I know nothing about CX tires, so any advice would be great :) tubeless compatibility would be best too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CXTony

by CXTony

If you want tubeless, I would recommend the Clement Crusade PDX

AdyM

by AdyM

Thanks, do you know what rim width (internal or external) that would work with these? As most XC rims are a 21mm internal, but I was considering some with a 28mm external and 23mm internal. Mainly for a stronger wheel to cope with being ran as a rigid.

CXTony

by CXTony

Not sure of a max size. The tire is a 700x33 claimed, have seen a lot of folks using them on Stans Iron Cross without issue (wider rim). You might send them an email or call to see if they have a suggested max rim width.

ITTY

by ITTY

I used Stan's Crest rims with Clement PDX tires for most of cross season last year. My experience trying tubeless was miserable, and I had multiple DNF's due to burping or complete failure. I don't recommend the combo (for tubeless). However, I am very fond of the tires and rims as seperate components, and have very good experience using latex tubes. YMMV

By the way, my PDX's measure at about 35mm on the Stan's rims.
Moloko Plus 6.24 kg

"We haven't located us yet"

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I have a couple of friends running the wire bead Challenge Grifos as tubeless (the black in wall ones). You could also try the Maxxis Mud Wrestlers or Michelin Mud 2 - not sure how they go as tubeless though but would be great with Challenge latex innertubes. Maybe even the Vittoria XL mud tire, also the Shawlbe Racing Ralph and Rocket Ron would be good but they are kind of a race tire more than anything

philipBer

by philipBer

From my experience Schwalbe Racing Ralphs are not good for muddy conditions as they do not clear mud very well. They have also relatively small volume, so you have to run them with a little more pressure. I have them currently set up as tubeless on Iron Cross Rims. I am currently also searching for options with a Grifo like tread, more volume like the Schwalbes and Tubeless capable...

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

The Vittoria XG is like a Grifo tread but not sure how it would go as tubeless

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com