Look 596 / Internal DI2 Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BikeTech

by BikeTech

Hello all,

I've searched this forum and found another WW member who has a Look 596 / DI2 gruppo. However, his thread doesn't really answer my question.

I'd like to run DI2 internally. Because of the nature of the 596, I'll have to make a custom wiring loom that must fit inside the downtube cable guide sleeve in order for everything to work.

The question I have is; should I purchase the external wiring kit, part number EW-7970? The internal wiring kit only seems useful if the frame holes are wide enough.

I was thinking I could use the junction box at the bottom of the BB shell as usual, and cut and splice / solder the cables back together at the entry and exit points along the downtube. Additionally, I was hoping to shorten the battery mount (the part that sits underneath the bottle cage). I would then then re-route the battery wire up inside the seattube / seatpost in order to mount the battery underneath the saddle.

Any information would be appreciated!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mlchang

by mlchang

If you like solder and heat shrink then there is no reason you can't do any of those things. As far as I can tell, the only difference between the external wiring kit and the internal kit, is that the plugs on the internal kit are a little smaller (to fit into the frame holes) and the cable has zip ties attached to it to keep it from rattling inside the down tube.

My bike has the external wiring kit, but I am also thinking about embarking on finding a new mounting position for my battery. Likely in the seat tube.

paddlemyowncanoe

by paddlemyowncanoe

The internal wiring kit has a much small junction box which will be easier to fit inside the frame. As above, the wiring plugs are a smaller diameter too.

Cutting and splicing is not a problem if you are handy with a soldering iron. If cutting control cables, as distinct from the power cable, make sure that the heat shrink is the adhesive type to keep ANY moisture out.

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

I know this is a really old thread but I am just wondering how the OP got on with his solution? I am looking at purchasing a 2010 Look 596 and want to run Ultegra di2... I would be relatively clued in to the technicalities involved and do all my own mechanical work but have not worked on any electronic stuff. I don't particularly mind if its takes some work to get a sleek build but I suppose my main question is are there any issues / pitfalls that just dont lend the 596 to di2. I would be looking to mount the battery beneath the saddle.

Any info on this build would be greatly appreciated.

Omiar

by Omiar

If it is the TT frame, then you can't run the RD wire internal, else seems doable. I didn't get from the pictures is the seat post is removable, but I assume it is.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022

AntonChigurh

by AntonChigurh

Thanks for the reply.

Yes it is the TT frame. So the RD is my only issue. What is the best / only solution as a route to power source? apologies I am not hugely familiar with the electronic groups.. just getting my head round it all at present.

Yes seat post is removable.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Omiar

by Omiar

The RD wire will be external, unless you are absolutely sure that the chain stays are hollow and are willing to drill a completely new hole near the dropout (the exact spot also has to be figured out. One option would be to remove the cable stop from the chain stay, which is probably riveted to the frame and then enlarge the rivet hole so you could pass the wire through. No going back to mechanical in that case.

Else seems like a no brainer. You probably have a hole underneath the bottom bracket. You wire the main wire from the handlebar, the battery wire through the seat post, the RD and FD wires to the hole. You connect all wires to the junction box and fit it inside the frame through the hole.
The FD wire could probable be routed through the FD cable hole, but you have to enlarge the hole.
Cannondale SystemSix R8170
Trek Checkpoint SL5 MY2022