Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Look a couple of pages back.

YmOeU

by YmOeU

LoL thanks thuekr I should have looked at that first huh LoL

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tharmor

by tharmor

I'm anxiously awaiting your ride report @thuekr

Please flood this thread with pictures too. If you need someone to post the pictures for you, I will be more than happy to do it myself, just let me know.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

My build is for a track bike - so my experiences are somewhat limited regarding a roadie-build. Anyway - I will share my experiences. BTW found another picture of the rim I haven't seen before.

rijndael

by rijndael

That's the Yishun rim, the metal bit at the clincher bead is the giveaway.

Thuekr

by Thuekr

Yup should be the WU6C I've ordered and is on it's way.

seanblurr

by seanblurr

Any first hand experience with the VeloBuild 40 or 50mm, 25mm wide wheels?
Instagram @seanblurr

jamesaus

by jamesaus

Done a fair bit of reading and it's all got a bit daunting. So I'll stick a question out there and see how I go...

Looking to put together a shallow depth carbon-clincher-rim with disc-hub wheelset. Sticking them on my cross bike for wet-weathr-commuting and wet-weather-road-training duties.

Who should I be speaking to... hongfu, light bicycle or someone else?

Weight is not so much the concern as best build quality. They are replacing a wheelset that would have to be over 2kg... whatever I get, it will be a major improvement.

Thanks all.

thegunner

by thegunner

i've had great luck with farsports, their rims have always been pretty spot-on in terms of weight, build quality (although they're not the cheapest anymore...)

pushstart

by pushstart

When you say "put together" are you planning to build the wheels?

I am really happy with the quality of my Light Bicycle U45 rims. Those obviously aren't shallow, but they have 29er MTB rims that might fit the bill. (My rims weighed 450g/pc so pretty light for wide rims.) Quality of the carbon finish, smoothness of bead/bed was all very nice. The ERD on both rims was identical and matched claimed numbers. The weights of each were within 2g of each other (and claimed). They seemed to be much better-built (at least the aspects one can see) than the Farsports clinchers I had previously. They also claim to be tubeless ready, though I have not tested that yet.

I just bought the rims and built the wheels; I had a poor experience with build quality from Farsports (I had to rebuild those wheels), so decided to build myself -- though that is not cheaper. I also wanted to use a front hub they did not have available -- the Novatec XD711 hub that is convertible to 15mm thru-axle (and 9mm thru-axle, which is what I am running now).

Anyway, very happy with these wheels. I have only ridden these ~1800 miles, buy they have sustained a lot of abuse (potholes, gravel, a crash a couple weeks ago) without flinching.

jamesaus

by jamesaus

pushstart wrote:When you say "put together" are you planning to build the wheels?

I am really happy with the quality of my Light Bicycle U45 rims. Those obviously aren't shallow, but they have 29er MTB rims that might fit the bill. (My rims weighed 450g/pc so pretty light for wide rims.) Quality of the carbon finish, smoothness of bead/bed was all very nice. The ERD on both rims was identical and matched claimed numbers. The weights of each were within 2g of each other (and claimed). They seemed to be much better-built (at least the aspects one can see) than the Farsports clinchers I had previously. They also claim to be tubeless ready, though I have not tested that yet.

I just bought the rims and built the wheels; I had a poor experience with build quality from Farsports (I had to rebuild those wheels), so decided to build myself -- though that is not cheaper. I also wanted to use a front hub they did not have available -- the Novatec XD711 hub that is convertible to 15mm thru-axle (and 9mm thru-axle, which is what I am running now).

Anyway, very happy with these wheels. I have only ridden these ~1800 miles, buy they have sustained a lot of abuse (potholes, gravel, a crash a couple weeks ago) without flinching.

Yeah sorry when I said put together I used the term pretty loosely. I meant I'm going to spec a road rim with no brake track to mtb disc hub.

Any indication of build quality by light bicycle?

pushstart

by pushstart

jamesaus wrote:Yeah sorry when I said put together I used the term pretty loosely. I meant I'm going to spec a road rim with no brake track to mtb disc hub.

Any indication of build quality by light bicycle?

I don't know; hopefully others can comment. You might want to look at reviews at MTBR too, as I think these guys are known (more?) for their MTB wheels. They use Pillar spokes (not Sapim) and they do offer the standard D711/D712 Novatec hubs, which seem just fine. Dunno if LB stocks a thru-axle hub option.

The only negatives I have seen on LB had to do with clearcoat on the brake tracks / poor braking, but obviously that was not a concern for the disc-brake build.

Anyway, good luck with the disc wheelset project.

ToffieBoi

by ToffieBoi

Any recent comments about the wheels?
Me and my friend are looking for 2 sets, and it will be either U45 or wide wheels from Hongfu.

Dingleberry

by Dingleberry

pushstart wrote:I am really happy with the quality of my Light Bicycle U45 rims. Those obviously aren't shallow, but they have 29er MTB rims that might fit the bill. (My rims weighed 450g/pc so pretty light for wide rims.) Quality of the carbon finish, smoothness of bead/bed was all very nice. The ERD on both rims was identical and matched claimed numbers. The weights of each were within 2g of each other (and claimed). They seemed to be much better-built (at least the aspects one can see) than the Farsports clinchers I had previously. They also claim to be tubeless ready, though I have not tested that yet.

Pretty much my thoughts on my 45mm LB disc rims! Also bought the rims separately and got them built up on Hope hubs by a local wheel builder - about 1300 miles so far, over some quite rough roads at times, and no problems whatsoever. Really impressed! I'm running them tubeless too, which also works fine.

LouisN

by LouisN

I finally bought some 40 mm 27 wide tubulars from Carbon Cycle.

Very nice finish (UD matte with 3K brake track), one rim weighed 371g and the other 375g.
Roundness isn't perfect, but it built nicely to a well balanced wheelset.
I put Sapim CX Ray spokes, BHS SLF71W and SL190 hubs ( 20/24h ) with alloy 12mm nipples.
The set came in at 1225g.
Glued some Corsa CX 23mm on them and delivered them to its (very happy) owner.

Louis :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com