Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Thanks for the reply Greg, for some reason I thought Dengfu sold only wheelsets, can't find rims only on the site... :noidea:

Louis :)

HeluvaSkier

by HeluvaSkier

Message them and ask for rims only. They sell them.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trillo1111

by trillo1111

I've only bought 1 set but have been happy with the 40mm carbon clincher (27mm wide u shape) from carbon-cycles (think they might be the same as deng fu hungfu). I seemed to get a much better price by just e-mailing Rae directly at carboncycles@163.com, rather than buying on e-bay. I have to say, I was considering just buying rims, but for the price of a set with nice novatec hubs and sapim cx-ray spokes - there was just no way for me to justify a more custom (and much more expensive) build. I have to say Rae had great communication, fast build, great shipping (no tax/duty - which saved me probably over $60 in Canada), and the build has held up very well (though I haven't put huge km into them). That said, carbon-cycles sells rims separately (if you happen to have a nice set of hubs around).

Kurt

by Kurt

trillo1111 wrote:I've only bought 1 set but have been happy with the 40mm carbon clincher (27mm wide u shape) from carbon-cycles (think they might be the same as deng fu hungfu).

I can echo what trillo says here. Rae and carbon-cycles is either DengFu or sells the same product. I got the same build of 40mm rims, the good Novatec hubs, and cx-ray spokes. Rae was easy to communicate with, good price, and the built wheels arrived safely in WI, USA, a little over a week after I paid. They came out of the box in perfect shape and have held up perfectly over their first few hundred miles. If you just want rims, email him and I'm sure he'll outline your options.

LouisN

by LouisN

For reference, what kind of riding do you guys do ?

Ideally, I'd like to have some reviews by guys who have raced these rims hard.

Louis :)

Kurt

by Kurt

Louis, I ride about 200mi a week in rolling, northern WI, USA, terrain. I race occasionally but have not since I've gotten these wheels. My next race isn't for about a month, and it's a short, flat TT, so I'm not sure how much feedback that will give beyond training rides. I will say that I've done some fast, twisty, longish (~2mi) descents, and the rims performed beautifully. They seem fast, and the wider profile definitely helps them track well, and there have been zero braking issues for me. I actually got caught out in the rain on Saturday, and it didn't seem like the braking was impacted too much at all, even on some moderate downhills. Sorry I don't have better, more specific feedback for you yet, but if there's anything you want to know, I'll try my best to answer.

BmanX

by BmanX

What is the concensus on brake pads. I have a pair of the old EDGE/ENVE 45 rims which I like but the Yellow Swiss Stop pads suck with these rims. I would like something that works much better.
BIG DADDY B FLOW
AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT for 2 decades

upside

by upside

I have been pondering a wheel build with some White Industries hubs. I am looking at the 23 wide or 25 mm wide 24 clincher rims. They show to be about 360-380 grams which is uber light for a clincher rim. I have looked at the Light Bicycle offerings and have some prices in hand. They have the UD finish in a gloss, kind of like the Enve rims. I also have had two sets of FarSports wheels and have had great luck with those and I know the quality was fine. I haven't heard much of the Light-Bicyle rims or wheels in any of the forums, so I am fishing for some info from anyone.

eric

by eric

The Light-Bicycle rims have a good rep on mtbr, for disc mtb use.

eric

by eric

Try enve pads with the enve rims.

Different rims work best with different pads. The rim makers all have one or more recommended (or required for warranty coverage) pad. That's the first place to start.

upside

by upside

Thanks Eric, you are always very helpful. :beerchug:

YmOeU

by YmOeU

Hey guys I've been following the thread and decided to buy from carbon-cycles. Like people previously said Rae is great always a quick response. What I bought was
56/86mm Clincher wheelset/27 wide/UD Matt
Black Pillar 1420 spokes
Black hubs NovatecA291/F482SL
Black nipples
Shim10/11s
Cost was 460 which seems to be a little higher that others posted. Maybe it is because of the deeper rims? Hope this was a good buy. Will post more when they are delivered.

Carrots

by Carrots

I've just priced a few rims only and they've been $250 - $300 price range between 40, 56, and 86mm tubs. Carbon bike, Deng Fu and Hong Fu all within $20-30 of each other and from what I can gather they're all the same rims or extremely similar. So that pricing doesn't seem too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thuekr

by Thuekr

My 60mm 28mm 24/28 has been shipped.

YmOeU

by YmOeU

Where did you get that 28mm wide rim?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com