Where to get accurate scales??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kevosinn
in the industry

by kevosinn

I currently use both the park tool scales but they seem cheap and I doubt they are very accurate. Where can I get a better scale for weighing the bike and a small one for parts? Thanks!
Www.crypticcycles.com Custom carbon frames, bar/stem combos, repair and component tuning.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Any scientiufic scales should do. Just because a scale is cheap just not mean it is not accurrate. Have you weighed a known mass on it yet, like 100 ml of water. You will need to measure the volume properly using a burette but that simple.

neeb

by neeb

For small parts any LCD digital kitchen scale will work fine. Even the cheapest ones are surprisingly accurate, usually to within a gram or two. Mostly the accuracy is close to the unit increments displayed, e.g. if it measures in 2 gram increments it is probably accurate to within about 2g.

martinSL
Shop Owner

by martinSL

Bought this one a week ao two ago and it works perfectly. ~$17 shipped. 0.1 gram accuracy and up to 2kg. Perfect for ww stuff
----------------------------------------------
Racing and Training Cycling Tires
www.tiremaniacs.com

TheWizard3000

by TheWizard3000

For the small parts Ive always used this and has been consistently accurate and then some baggage scales for the bike as a whole if need be from amazon. Effectively an accurate set of kitchen scales will do for the small bits. I have used the park tools one and agree its not brilliant.

Rick

by Rick

I work in a place with lots of often-calibrated scales. So I can compare my Park very easily. My Park has remained very accurate.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I call all these types of scales scienftific scales, probably wrongly.

Jackwil

by Jackwil

You can use a small hanging scales for weighing because they are accurate and available in low price. I also use a hanging scales for weighing bike parts and other weighing that i need.
Last edited by Jackwil on Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Park tool scales are inconsistent but it gets the job done. I use a My Weigh scale that i got from Fairwheelbikes a few years ago....it's pretty good.

by 11.4

Food service scales are regulated by law as to accuracy and are often both more durable and less expensive than lab scales. The only issue is that they typically don't measure below a 0.1 gram precision which I know for some of you is nowhere near enough.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

I have both Park Tool scales, and they do feel cheap, but they are accurate for me.

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

There is also a cheap and easy way to test the accuracy of your scale using coins - just about every mint will list coin weights (which vending machines among other things rely on).

Just weigh a few coins and compare it with the posted weights:

http://www.usmint.gov/about_the_mint/?a ... ifications

http://www.coinscan.com/technical/canasp.html

http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/ ... 028_en.htm

http://www.royalmint.com/discover/uk-co ... ifications

BRM

by BRM

kevosinn wrote:I currently use both the park tool scales but they seem cheap and I doubt they are very accurate. Where can I get a better scale for weighing the bike and a small one for parts? Thanks!

On BOTKIN, 6 in the city Tashkent in Uzbekistan :wink:

(maybe it is handy to mention where you live when you ask for where to buy) :?

stl516

by stl516

(I can't use search function there is an ad on top of it) Which scale to weigh complete bikes accurately?

hurri

by hurri

Hi all,
I've been lurking for some time, and now I've actually built a bike that isn't so heavy, I'm trying to weigh it.
Now, that might seem a bit of an obvious/easy thing to do, but with my beautifully crafted Chinese luggage scales my De Rosa King RS weighs somewhere between 6.4 and 7 kilos. What seems to be happening is that every day it is putting on weight :) .. which may be true for me, but not for the bike, unless a family of mice have taken up residence in the down tube. This is somewhat perplexing as I've been fitting successively lighter components in the final part of the build which is why I've been obsessively weighing it to see what effect they have! The scales also seem to think that the bike is 14.4 - 14.9 lbs which doesn't correlate with the kilos either (?)

Can anybody point me at the thread that discusses how to calibrate your scales, and which ones are best? I have some new ones on order that will max out at 25kg which should improve resolution from my 50kg scales I have now, but I think I'm going to have to make a reference weight to figure out how accurate they are... any clues welcome!!!
thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com