Does this spec road bike exist from any manufacturer?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

applebaconator

by applebaconator

Hoping to buy a 2nd road bike and get a disc ready bike. Probably going to start off with mechanical and gradually upgrade it to Di2.

- road racing specific. Not cyclocross. I'm not keen on the idea on gran-fondo/endurance/relax comfort geometry marketing idea either. I am young fit racer. Race geometry, stiffness, lightweight and aero qualities are best for my type.
- carbon fiber frame + fork
- Fork with partially hidden/fully integrated routes for hydraulic cables. No zip ties.
- Rear hydraulic disc brake mount is inside the chain stream and seat stay, and not the behind the seat-stay type mount
- 15mm thru-axle for front, 142x12mm thru-axle for rear
- support for 160mm rotors
- fully integrated all cables, hydraulic brake, mechanical/electronic (Di2) set up
- does not use any integrated seat post

I will be pairing it with maybe Reynolds Assault SLG disc and 23mm Continential GP 4000S, so tire clearance isn't a problem at all. 25mm isn't any better for me anyway.

The Storck Aernario is close to fulfilling all my requirements but not close. Trek has the Domane Classic 6.9 disc edition, but its fork uses ugly zip ties, more relax/gran-fondo/endurance geometry, horrible integrated seat post, and IsoSpeed meh crap that young racers like me don't need. :thumbup:

Anyone else got other suggestions for bike/frameset+fork that I can buy off the shelf right now (in US or online with ship to US)?

Custom bike? They're not the right thing for me for now.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

You're never going to find 142x12 for road unless you go custom. Also what road wheels have you found in that spacing?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

applebaconator

by applebaconator

storck Aernario already uses 10mm in its rear, so maybe someone is doing 12mm already?

mjduct

by mjduct

Custom... Or get a time
Machine and wait 3 or 4 years when discs take over...

Only way to get what is currently a small market mountain bike option on a road frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You certainly have a very specific idea about what you want, to my knowledge no existing frame has all those features. If I may ask - why do you want these.

Some seen contradictory - "young fit racer" - these frames are not UCI legal, you won't be able to race them, anywhere until the rules are changed.
"Lightweight, aero qualities" - a disc bike is both heavier and less aerodynamic than a conventionally braked roadbike.

I would read this article about a chap you had total brake failure when heavily braking on road. He used poor braking technique and that is why the fluid boiled, but if he had good braking techniques why not just use calipers, like the pros do, descending HC climbing in the rain and snow on carbons? If you have poor braking technique buying a heavier more expensive bike isn't going to help.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/roa ... they-work/

Activate flame shield.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

applebaconator

by applebaconator

NiFTY wrote:You certainly have a very specific idea about what you want, to my knowledge no existing frame has all those features. If I may ask - why do you want these.

Some seen contradictory - "young fit racer" - these frames are not UCI legal, you won't be able to race them, anywhere until the rules are changed.
"Lightweight, aero qualities" - a disc bike is both heavier and less aerodynamic than a conventionally braked roadbike.

I would read this article about a chap you had total brake failure when heavily braking on road. He used poor braking technique and that is why the fluid boiled, but if he had good braking techniques why not just use calipers, like the pros do, descending HC climbing in the rain and snow on carbons? If you have poor braking technique buying a heavier more expensive bike isn't going to help.
http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/02/14/roa ... they-work/

Activate flame shield.

I know they are not UCI legal, so I won't be racing with it at UCI-level. I know disk bikes are slightly heavier for now. I am well-aware that lightweight race/climbing bikes with some aero qualities is not the same as buying a full-on aero bike, which tends to be heavier. OK with both of that.

I have read that article before. Nothing interesting. I race at cat-2 level, and I know I got good braking techniques, but I would like to get a disk brake road bike for kicks and spin it into a weightweenie project when I got time. You don't have to worry about my safety or anything. I've got the money and I'm not looking for cycling technique lessons from this post.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Not looking to give you handling lessions mate, nor to offend. I am just curious what advantage the people clamoring for road discs think they are actually going to get. I am yet to see any tests showing that they are non-inferior, let alone superior to callipers. But there has been a recall on the only group (Sram red) that has actually been released en masse. Not confidence inspiring. Seems like a lot to pay to be a beta tester for an unproven product that if it fails could cause serious injury/death.

I know you will likely not be racing at UCI tour level, but my understanding is that UCI technical regulations are followed by the national cycling bodies too (They certainly are by USA cycling and Cycling Australia). So you won't be able to race it locally either.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

elSid

by elSid

Does not exist.

(off the shelf)

wingguy

by wingguy

applebaconator wrote:- 15mm thru-axle for front, 142x12mm thru-axle for rear

I will be pairing it with maybe Reynolds Assault SLG disc

Not with that spec you won't.

Why do you want those particular features when they're not compatible with your chosen wheels / any road wheels and would make for horrible chainline?

maxxevv

by maxxevv

This is probably as close as you can get, it ticks everything you specified save perhaps the specific geometry portion:

http://www.saracen.co.uk/bikes/road/avro

Its geared more towards endurance riding rather than criterium type races though.

Edit: Forgot to add the Scott Solace. Similar limit on geometry though.

We should be expecting Colnago to release their disc specific version of the V1-r in a couple of months. Its supposed to be thru-axle too.

eliflap-scalpel

by eliflap-scalpel

applebaconator wrote:Hoping to buy a 2nd road bike and get a disc ready bike. Probably going to start off with mechanical and gradually upgrade it to Di2.

- road racing specific. Not cyclocross. I'm not keen on the idea on gran-fondo/endurance/relax comfort geometry marketing idea either. I am young fit racer. Race geometry, stiffness, lightweight and aero qualities are best for my type.
- carbon fiber frame + fork
- Fork with partially hidden/fully integrated routes for hydraulic cables. No zip ties.
- Rear hydraulic disc brake mount is inside the chain stream and seat stay, and not the behind the seat-stay type mount
- 15mm thru-axle for front, 142x12mm thru-axle for rear
- support for 160mm rotors
- fully integrated all cables, hydraulic brake, mechanical/electronic (Di2) set up
- does not use any integrated seat post

I will be pairing it with maybe Reynolds Assault SLG disc and 23mm Continential GP 4000S, so tire clearance isn't a problem at all. 25mm isn't any better for me anyway.

The Storck Aernario is close to fulfilling all my requirements but not close. Trek has the Domane Classic 6.9 disc edition, but its fork uses ugly zip ties, more relax/gran-fondo/endurance geometry, horrible integrated seat post, and IsoSpeed meh crap that young racers like me don't need. :thumbup:

Anyone else got other suggestions for bike/frameset+fork that I can buy off the shelf right now (in US or online with ship to US)?

Custom bike? They're not the right thing for me for now.

check my blog .... today's 1st post :thumbup:

http://eliflap.it/2014/07/21/avro-di-saracen/

they are in UK
http://eliflap.it/

bombertodd

by bombertodd

That Scott looks nice. The OP list looks nice too. I remember reading Trek was going with 142mm rear hubs also. With mountain bike phasing out 135mm hubs it only makes sense to keep things such as hub and axle standards the same from a manufactures point of view.

I've been wanting a road disc bike too, but I'm waiting for the standards war to play out.

djconnel

by djconnel

Add me to the "why disc" crowd? Worst part, I think, is they torque the entire front end, so you need beefy fork, beefy axle, stiff dished front wheel. Add in complexity and cost and I simply don't see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bombertodd

by bombertodd

That's what some mountain bikers used to say when disc came out for them.

I didn't think disc would matter on a road bike until I rode one. It was amazing at descending.