Exploding Powerdome cassette

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I noticed some play in my rear wheel after a short ride yesterday. I thought, perhaps, the hub bearings were failing or that the cassette body had come loose. When I began removing the SRAM Red Powerdome cassette, it came apart into its three component pieces... machined cogs, inner sleeve, and back plate. The cassette had basically separated on the freehub. This was what was causing the play in my drivetrain. While I have owned the cassette for 2 years, it is not ridden daily... perhaps 2 or 3 times per week at most (I have multiple bikes). I'm really disappointed as this what not an inexpensive part.

Is this why these cassettes were discontinued?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hi Ted,

I moved this from Chat to Road. as this is about a road part.
From an inside source I understood that the backplate of the first gen powerdome cassettes could come loose. You can try to claim this at sram through your LBS. Or you can repair it with some epoxy like i did. Just glue the back plate back on.

cheers,
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

odin99

by odin99

pics?

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I believe the back plate may be bent....

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Scratch most of the old glue away and smear epoxy all around the edges of the cassette. Place the center ring and put the back plate back on. Cover it with a metal plate or a piece of wood and use a vice to clamp it while it dries.
That way the bent back plate will be perfectly fixed on the cassette ;)

And, who uses a 11-26 cassette in northern Holland?
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

I'll try it. I run what I brung... hahaha

Geoff

by Geoff

Are you saying that SRAM told you to...scram? I'm surprised that they would not replace it. Thanks for the pic, though. I have always wondered what they looked like.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Or do the smart thing and just throw it away and buy another cassette.

If Sram says nada, well, what are you going to do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bricky21

by bricky21

This happened to me too when the cassette became stuck on my ORC freehub body. Basically, I had to take the cassette apart to remove it. I reassembled without gluing it back together and used it until it wore out. Perhaps your lockring worked it's way loose somehow, and that is where the play came from. I had an issue with a loose lockring a few years ago and seem to recall it being with this cassette. Have tried just reassembling?