Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Mize wrote:Looking for some suggestions on bars. I've been running Zipp Contours and love them but they're not clip on compatible and I really want to use the AR1 for TTs. Consequently, I'm in search of an aero, flat-top bar that accepts clip ons and has the same or shorter reach as the Contours (84.5). I'm ok with replacing my stem as long as it is with a longer one. The only options I've found so far are the 3T Aeronova (much longer reach means shorter stem, ugh) and the Enve road Aero which is heavy and only works with Enve's own clip ons.

Any ideas?

I don't have a FELT, but I use Zipp Contour SLSS bars and can clip on my Vision CarbonPro bars.. I didn't like the Enve Aero Road bars... too narrow at the top.. 42's are actually 37's.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

Porkinson

by Porkinson

Mize wrote:Looking for some suggestions on bars. I've been running Zipp Contours and love them but they're not clip on compatible and I really want to use the AR1 for TTs. Consequently, I'm in search of an aero, flat-top bar that accepts clip ons and has the same or shorter reach as the Contours (84.5). I'm ok with replacing my stem as long as it is with a longer one. The only options I've found so far are the 3T Aeronova (much longer reach means shorter stem, ugh) and the Enve road Aero which is heavy and only works with Enve's own clip ons.

Any ideas?

Bontrager XXX aero? 85mm reach, and clip on compatible.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

trilocus

by trilocus

I use enve aero road bar. You can use enve ses aero road bar clip on.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

svrasmussen wrote:I feel a lot of enthusiasm about the AR1 in this forum one of the reasons for me to invest in the frame. However, I wan to share my so far experience with the frame. I plan to post as these issues hopefully gets solved, comments are of course welcome.

1. My rear wheel is rubbing the brake. I’ve loosened the brake as much as possible it doesn’t engage before maybe 1 cm from the handlebar. There is a huge clearance to the brake pads, however it still rubs a bit when standing in the pedals. I’m 76 kg on a 56 cm frame using brand new supposedly very stiff Mavic C40’s. I’ve don’t have at hand other 11-speed rear wheels but plan to try out such wheels to rule out the wheel component. Basically I think there is something wrong with the frame but how do I prove this to Felt. I of course bought the frame in an internet shop (no Danish dealers) so there is no LBS to go to.

2. The crank is making a lot of creaking noise and I mean a lot! Later I noticed that there was also a little play in the crank. It turns without excessive resistance. When unpacking the bearings I noticed that they went pretty far into the bottom bracket with light finger pressure. My theory is that the tolerance is to big. The bike is now back at the LBS that mounted them. The LBS think that it is the bearing that are defect. That might be but honestly, less than 100 km on them and why should they lead to extreme creaking. Now I’m waiting on week 2 for them to get the spares.

As mentioned comments, suggestions, similar experiences

1: I have this issue too and I think it comes down to the wheels. I get no rubbing when using my training wheels (Mavic Cosmic Elite) but when my race wheels are on (Reynolds Assault Tubs) I get some rub. I need to slacken the brakes off when using the race wheels to limit the amount of rub. I'd try some different wheels first before you go to Felt blaming the frame.

2: I'd suggest using some Loctite bearing retaining compound when fitting the bearings. It's well documented that this can eliminate the creeks associated with BB30 bearings. This would take up any slight tolerance issue with the fit of the bearings.

Good luck!

Mize

by Mize

Thanks guys. I need to find an Ergonova to try out. Can't tell how flat the top is. I love the look of the Enve but one reviewer felt it was overly harsh/stiff. Trilocus, aren't you replacing your Enve bars also? I'd wager my local Trek store has a bontrager they'd loan me for a ride or two...

Porkinson

by Porkinson

SuperDave wrote:Yes. Your local Felt Dealer can order them through the Felt distributor in the UK - Saddleback who can access these parts through our global distribution center in Germany.
-SD

Dealer has just told me that Felt can't do a replacement seatpost? :cry:

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Porkinson wrote:
SuperDave wrote:Yes. Your local Felt Dealer can order them through the Felt distributor in the UK - Saddleback who can access these parts through our global distribution center in Germany.
-SD

Of course you can replace the seatpost. Who did your dealer talk to?
PN: 910306 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP11 (3T) - “Vibration Reducing Module”
PN: 910308 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP12 (teXtreme) - “VariMount”

-SD

Porkinson

by Porkinson

SuperDave wrote:
Porkinson wrote:
-SD

Of course you can replace the seatpost. Who did your dealer talk to?
PN: 910306 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP11 (3T) - “Vibration Reducing Module”
PN: 910308 - Seatpost AR 2014+ FESP12 (teXtreme) - “VariMount”

-SD

Southwest Bike builders, who CC'd me into a follow up email with David @ Saddleback. I will try them again with the part number.

Many thanks.

Mize

by Mize

Does anyone know if it's OK to use a carbon rails saddle with the Felt (non 3T) AR1 saddle clamp?

Finally cured my creaking post by the way. LBS had put grease, not carbon assembly paste, on the inner metal pieces that clamp the post. Figures.

A good cleaning and some paste and all is quiet.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Mize wrote:Does anyone know if it's OK to use a carbon rails saddle with the Felt (non 3T) AR1 saddle clamp?

Finally cured my creaking post by the way. LBS had put grease, not carbon assembly paste, on the inner metal pieces that clamp the post. Figures.

A good cleaning and some paste and all is quiet.

Yes, this is exactly how the AR FRD is equipped (VM post and carbon rails).

-SD

Mize

by Mize

Oh, cool. Thought the FRD used the 3T clamp.

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

Mize wrote:Oh, cool. Thought the FRD used the 3T clamp.

No, the FRD bike has a unique post that uses TeXtreme76 30T instead of 100FAW UD. The VM is a bit lighter than the VR post and the AR FRD is a bit more lively of a frame to boot so we opted for the VM post for the AR FRD.

-SD

upside

by upside

I see the AR5's are now available and had some thoughts to buy one. Do the AR1's through the AR5's use the same carbon lay-ups. As far as the frame goes, is the stiffness, compliance, etc. the same between those models. :up:

SuperDave
in the industry

by SuperDave

upside wrote:I see the AR5's are now available and had some thoughts to buy one. Do the AR1's through the AR5's use the same carbon lay-ups. As far as the frame goes, is the stiffness, compliance, etc. the same between those models. :up:

The AR5 does not use the same material as the AR1 and the gap between the AR1 and AR5 is a bit bigger in 2015 in terms of the material.
The AR1 and AR5 have the same stiffness and aerodynamic qualities. They use the same molds. It isn't like the S-series from Cervelo or the Propel from Giant. The wind doesn't know what materials or group you're running or how much you spent on your frame.

-SD

vedro

by vedro

Hi Guys,

I own an AR4 since march and was offered for my birthday a stage power meter.
My friends found the matching shimano arm that perfectly match the 6800 installed nativelly but they did not think to check if the rear brake would leave enough space for the stage left Crank arm to rotate.
As many on this post know the Tektro/trp 750r should be installed to leave enough space.
I managed to order the rear break directly from tektro usa it will be delivered early next week - I am not a huge technical guy and was wondering if the installation was tough - could someone who did it advice?
Thanks in advance

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com