ADA's Finally Arrived!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martin

by martin

spytech wrote:what is the price on the lightweight wheels? what is the price on the ada wheels?

can be found on their websites
LW's list price: ~900 front, ~1100 rear (depends on hub used)
ADAs ~3200 for the set, +400 for kevlar braking surfaces, + alot for shipping

all prices Euro

Martin
curr. Vienna, Austria
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Geoff

by Geoff

Further to your recent post, I cannot verify the current cost of the Carbonsports version of the Lightweight wheelset, but when I looked into the cost in June of 2003, I was quoted the equivalent of 2.122 euros, plus 150 euros shipping and handling, for a total of 2.272 euros. By comparison, my cost, delivered, for my ADA's was a total of 1.625.

CarbonSports

by CarbonSports

Geoff wrote:Further to your recent post, I cannot verify the current cost of the Carbonsports version of the Lightweight wheelset, but when I looked into the cost in June of 2003, I was quoted the equivalent of 2.122 euros, plus 150 euros shipping and handling, for a total of 2.272 euros. By comparison, my cost, delivered, for my ADA's was a total of 1.625.

Hello,

You can find all actual prices on the German Version of our homepage (look in the shop). The international version of the shop will be online in approx. 4 weeks.

Any frontwheel is 950 €
Rearwheels are between 1.105 and 1.195 € depending on the hub
Shipment in Germany is 10 €, Europe 23 € and most other countries worldwide 35 €/set.

All payments will be charged 10-14 days before delivery, not when you are ordering.

All prices are for new wheels, including full guarantee and other services like no-cost repairs and the 30% offer which was mentioned.

Best Regards!

Stefan Behrens
Head of CarbonSports

martin

by martin

Geoff wrote:By comparison, my cost, delivered, for my ADA's was a total of 1.625.

I believe you wrote yours were used and w/o warranty?
i refered to the list price for new wheels.
Martin
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

spytech

by spytech

martin wrote:
Geoff wrote:By comparison, my cost, delivered, for my ADA's was a total of 1.625.

I believe you wrote yours were used and w/o warranty?
i refered to the list price for new wheels.
Martin

yes i was also intrested in new prices, and i am also intrested to know how long it would take if i ordered a set of lightweight now that carbon sports owns them.

Geoff

by Geoff

Unfortunately,I have no idea what the prices are for the current wheelsets are. All I know is what I paid and what I have been quoted in the past. :)

martin

by martin

Geoff wrote:Unfortunately,I have no idea what the prices are for the current wheelsets are. All I know is what I paid and what I have been quoted in the past. :)

The ADA website (http://www.ada.prorider.org/Prices.html) states
2950E for the Basic set, 3200 for the version with kevlar and 3600 for the "pro" version.

Martin
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

Geoff

by Geoff

Further to the posts that have been forwarded recently regarding this topic, most of which appear to have centred around price, I have now had the time to glue tires and can comment on another issue.

I had read a post somewhere (it may even have been on this forum, but I'll be damned if I can find it) provided by an individual who has both ADA's and Lightweights. In the post, the individual mentioned a problem that was generated by a longer Campagnolo axel being fitted with a Shimano freehub body. I am using a Record set-up on all my bikes.

Upon installing the ADA rear, I found the tolerances to the rear dropout extremely tight. Shifting appeared to be only slightly off, with the high and low limits needing slight adjustment. Barrel adjustment for tension appeaed OK. After throwing a dishing tool on the wheel, it was clear that dish was out by better than 1mm.

As an interim measure, I have placed a spacer under the drive-side axel end. This instantly solved the problem of the freehub body being uncomfortably close to the dropout. The hub spacing is now out-of-spec by a small amount, but still easilly fits into dropouts of all of my bikes.
I will need to precison-machine the non-drive end on a good metal lathe in order to complete the operation and put everything back to the 130mm hub spec.

The long and the short of our combined experiences is: I suspect that the issue of dropout clearance and dish is not related to Campagnolo versus Shimano, but, rather, is symptomatic of a manufacturing issue. In the event that the individual who had both sets of wheels is reading these posts, I would be interested in hearing of your solution to your dishing issue, aside from the fact that a Lightweight set was purchased, of course. In the event that other ADA owners have experienced a similar issue, it would be interesting to hear from them, as well.

userdeleted

by userdeleted

the issues you have with your adas are interesting. they echo what we have all heard on this forum before. I really want to know how your wheels ride though. Keep us posted for whenever you ride on them outdoors! I'm really interested in ada's prospective 800 gram wheelset. If it's stiff enough.....damn. I'll be lining up for a pair.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I haven't really handled the dish problem. The adas have not seen any use in two plus years and the lightweights see all the action!

I treat it as a lesson, albeit an expensive one, to deal only with operations that have some semblence of legitmacy. If it smells funny then it is.

I have also come to an increasing realisation that all the trick stuff is nice but it is a lot more work. A lot of this stuff is very finicky and somewhat more fragile than the bog-standard part it will replace. Is it worth the hassle? Most times I think it isn't. I was thinking of getting a Parlee carbon frame like Tyler H used in the 02Giro but at the same time, my alu Strong works great and it is simple and gives no hassles.

Sure the trick stuff is nice but what's most important is to ride and enjoy it.

Having said all that, the LWs work really well with the shimano hub internals and ride quite nicely. They are lovely.

But I would stay away from Ada.

Geoff

by Geoff

[/quote]

Thanks for your reply, I haven't looked at this thread for awhile.

In the end, the dish was really only out by about 0.8mm, which is enough to cause Record 10 some heartburn. A smaller shim solved the 'problem' and the wheels now run fine.

Although I was sceptical about the claims of better braking with the kevlar surface on the ADA's, I have to say that they are markedly better than my X-Carbos. Do your ADA's have a kevlar braking surface? If so, how do the Lightweights compare?