That is a stunning bike. Congrats

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Martin1977

by Martin1977

It is sad, but true. My bike was destroyed by car :cry:
It happened nearly 6 months ago and I was not able to ride bike untill now. Last week I started to ride bike again and though my knee still is not 100% OK, it is getting better and hopefully I'll be able to ride my bike as before accident in a few months.
I was really upset about loosing such a beautifull bike and at first I did not want to buy new road bike. But as time passed, I changed my mind and last week I ordered new Zero7 in custom colour :D
Wilier offered me great price for new rameset, so I decided to buy new Wilier again and this time with custom paint.
At first, bike will not be as light as previous one, but in the end I hope it will be even lighter.
I do not know how long it takes to get new custom frameset from Wilier, but they confirmed my order last week.

Now few pictures:

Broken Berk combo :cry:

Broken Schmolke TLO Bars:

Broken Top tube :cry:

Broken seat stays :cry:

Damaged shifters :cry:

And finaly color of new frameset that I ordered :P
Last edited by Martin1977 on Fri May 23, 2014 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

JackDaniels

by JackDaniels

Sorry about your old bike. The light that burns twice as bright...

Berk
Carbon Cowboy

by Berk

Hi,
sorry to hear about that accident :(!
Have a look at your PM, we might do something regarding that combo. Hope you'll soon completely recover!

P.S. if I remember right that combo was made with a Schmolke tube that was sent to me? It snapped exactly under the carbon reinforcements? Please let me know, you can also write to my PM or email, thanks!

BWO

by BWO

Sorry to hear about your accident but the new frame looks sweet

Crashtest

by Crashtest

Not sure if there are similar options in Europe, but these guys work wonders:

http://www.ruckuscomp.com/services/repair/

Martin1977

by Martin1977

There are several great guys who are able to repair damaged carbon parts. But I'm not sure if it is good idea to have this frameset repaired. Top tube is completely broken, seat stays too and there are several other places where it was hit. Fork seems to be OK, but it has about 5 visible chips as it was hit by something. I hit metal fence directly at about 40 km/h and than fell about 4 meters down under the bridge with my bike.
Would You ride the frameset again? I think I could use Clavicula crank and AX brakes again because they have no scratches or chips and it seems that these parts were not hit.
But I must thust my bike and those damaged parts I would not trust anymore. I hate the idea that one day it breaks under me.

oakes2004

by oakes2004

Midas touch.. Nuff said!

kgt

by kgt

The 'ghost' color is even better IMO.

Doyler

by Doyler

Ooof, never nice to see a rider hurt or a bike like that damaged. The new frameset looks fantastic and is something that I love. Best of luck with your new build.

Martin1977

by Martin1977

So new frameset arrived about 3 weeks ago. It looked like this:

But I did not like shiny logo and fork on otherwise all matt frameset:

So I lightly sanded Wilier logo and fork and clearcoated these parts again with matt clearcoat:

Now it looks much better, all the frame and fork are matt:

I ordered "whole matt" frameset and those two parts were shiny, so I decided to sand it down lightly and reclearcoat it with matt clearcoat to have nice matt bike. Sanding really was light and just cosmetic. I lost something like 1-2 gramms by sanding frame and fork and than by clearcoating it again, frameset is at its original weight. Maybe few tenths of gramm difference. However the custom paint is quite heavy. Old frameset was just under 800g, the new one is just under 850g in large size. I think, that it is like that because most of the graphics on new frameset are stickers under paint and clearcoat. They look great and all the graphics is a little raised, but I would expect this expensive frameset to be really painted instead of "stickered". Standard Zero7 really was painted and when I tried these modifications on old broken frameset, I went through the paint at several places by using just 1200 grit sandpaper and light wet sanding.

So this is all for now and I'm still waiting for few new parts to complete my build. But as soon as I have all the parts I'll add more photos, weights and I'll start to build it.

Be prepared for a lot more sanding :-)

Martin

Martin1977

by Martin1977

So here is what I've been playing with lately :-)
After the accident, I was thinking about having all the parts custom painted again, because they had a lot of scratches and I didn't like the damaged look. But in the end, I didn't like the idea of delivering all the parts to paintshop and waiting for the result, so I started to sand clearcoat off by myself. I started with shifters, because they were "damaged" the most. Than I continued with RD and as I was happy with the result, I continued with other parts to unify the look of all components on new bike. Here are the pictures:

The shifters:

RD:

Brakes:

Caps and spacers:

Crank and rings:

All the components together with brake shoes, cages and FD not shown previously:

Few quick pictures of new stem and bars even though they will not stay like this :D

Frameset during sanding: fork sanded:

Frame and fork sanded (You can see unsanded details between TRESTINA and ZERO7 letters), but I did not want to sand it too much and go through original paint. I just wanted to sand it lightly, so that I did not need too much matt clearcoat:

And finaly three more details of frameset:

This is all for now, more pictures will come once I have more parts ready to be used in the final build :-)

Martin

CGT

by CGT

This build is going to be awesome! How have you recovered since the crash?

Martin1977

by Martin1977

Fortunately, my knee looks OK and it seems that I recovered from crash without any long term problems. The only problem is, that after the crash I could not ride my bike for about 6 months and I need to put down some weight now :-)

For new bike, I plan to use two sets of wheels. The first one consists of my older Archteks rim and Tune hubs. I only switched rear spokes from Superspoke to CX Ray to incerase stiffness and durability. With my weight it definitely helps and I don't recomend to use Superspoke to any heavier rider. But after about 2 years of using Tune hubs, front hub was not so smooth as it used to be. So I had bearings replaced with Enduro standard bearings (no ceramics). I think that problem of front Mig45 hub is, that there is no protection or sealing and bearings are exposed to water and dust. But spending something like 15 Euro for new bearings after 2 years isn't that big problem in my oponion. In local shop they also replaced rear hub's bearings for Enduro, so I saved nice 5g by this in total :-)

Here are the wheels:

Though I didn't want to use any alloy cassette anymore, I could not resist and I bought Recon alloy cassette to give it try :-)

I'm going to use my old Tune U20 QR:

and on these wheels, Vittoria Crono Evo tubulars:

And because I was really happy with my old ZIPP 808 and I liked them (OK hubs were crap, but rims are great), I bought new 808 Firecrest and I replaced stickers with custom ones to match my new bike:

Rim detail:

and I'm going to use standard Campagnolo SR cassette with ZIPPs:

together with Vittoria Corsa CX tubulars:

So this is for wheels.
Package from Jure Berk is on the way and I should get some small parts like seatpost collar and jockey wheels in about a week. New update will come once I have them, just before I start to build the bike.

Martin

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com