Why isn't there a German manufacturer of a road group set?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ahillock

by Ahillock

This is not meant to turn into a nationalistic topic to debate. So please don't go there.

My question stems from some great advancements in road cycling that have come out of Germany. SRM power meter. Lightweight wheels. Just two companies that come to the top of my mind in terms of completely leading and changing the industry. Not to mention other industry leaders like ax-lightness and others. I can only think of a high quality German engineering producing a road group set. Maybe one day?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

Maybe someone will. Shimano own most of the market and are hard to go up against tho.

Some of the best composite tech comes from German companies so it could be interesting if mated to Di2 type reliability.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

gravity

by gravity

Probably it cant be manufactured at a cost that could be competitive to the existing brands. Dont think "Design in Germany, Made in China" would sell. All of German offerings have always been a premium product at a premium price.

Also I think it will be a high entry barrier for this segments.

Ahillock

by Ahillock

True. But this is a sport and hobby where some people spend $3-6k on a set of wheels or $500 on a saddle. I think there would be riders willing to pay for a Germany made group set. I don't have any data to back that up, but plenty of people already do that with other components (paying a higher premium over other brands). Just an interesting thought that I had. I don't expect anything in the near future, but hopefully one day.

deleted the quote. please read this: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=126225

wingguy

by wingguy

It's just a very difficult market to break into - more than anything else in cycling it's dominated by OE sales and Shimano and SRAM have got that tied up (and without so much history on their side I think even Camagnolo would be struggling as a company) - and SRAM only got their start through suing Shimano and receiving a sizeable investment and guarantee of a chunk of the OE market.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

ACROS is German, and they have been working on a Road version of their hydraulic drivetrain group. A working prototype was on display at last year's EuroBike and InterBike.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

CBJ

by CBJ

Wasn't Sachs German before SRAM bought them?

motormouth

by motormouth

prendrefeu wrote:ACROS is German, and they have been working on a Road version of their hydraulic drivetrain group. A working prototype was on display at last year's EuroBike and InterBike.

I was about to mention this too! ACROS' hydraulic system is my holy grail, what an awesome system.

vdrey

by vdrey

The op asked about road groupsets, not mtn ones.

tibikeboy

by tibikeboy

I think Sram, Shimano, and Campagnolo probably has their stuff patented. As a result, coming up with a new road group set, you have to design something different to avoid infringing on those patents, causing more R&D.

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

Lightweight did their derraileurs briefly

grover

by grover

As said ACROS is going to launch a road group soon.

SRAM do most of their road design and R+D at their German office, that's probably the closest thing at the moment.

ichobi

by ichobi

Watch out for Rotor Hydro group coming this Eurobike. Lighter than Red 22.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ichobi wrote:Watch out for Rotor Hydro group coming this Eurobike. Lighter than Red 22.

I am also curious on how Rotor can stand up to the big brands. Tiso had 12 speed electronic wireless but could not release it due to patents (my guess Sram is holding this).
Sad since the prototype was ready 2012.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

soracabana

by soracabana

Rohloff is on the way...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com