handlebar internal cable routing - rattle?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

The latest 3T ergonova has internal cable routing. Or, at least the carbon version has.

I was wondering if there is a trick to stop the cable from rattling? I will only running brake cable, no shifters.

I was going to just wrap the bar tape a little pass the lever and leave the top bare... Now that you don't need a piece of tape to hold the cable near the stem thanks to internal routing.. is that how you would wrap it?

Here is a picture that I found.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rmerka

by rmerka

Hey that's my picture! That's actually a Tornova bar but I suppose the routing will be similar. I didn't do anything other than run the cable through it and it has never rattled. It's actually a really tight fit and the housing will press up against the inside of the bar keeping it from rattling. The trick to routing it is to run your cable through first and then let the housing follow it through. Trying to route the housing first is next to impossible.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Oh nice :)
thanks google images.

I will only have a brake cable though so I figure the fit will be loose if I don't tape up to the second opening.
I think I can use a piece of silicone hose to cushion the cable itself.

It comes with some plastic tubes already to insert the steel cable through, the insert the housing like you mentioned.

rmerka

by rmerka

I run the brake cable as well as a Di2 (smaller e-tube wire) through there. Silicone might be a good idea though if it's not as tight as the one I have.

by 11.4

Mount little baby zip ties on the e-wire so they are clamped hand-tight on the e-wire and the tail is sticking straight out, and push them through the hole along with the e-wire. They will try to expand and push the e-wire against the side of the tubing. No noise and no wear from vibration. Do the same with frame tube noise.

PSM

by PSM

How does this work with D-A 9000 levers/levers?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com