SRAM DoubleTap failsafe "ghost" lowest gear..?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

n808

by n808

In this video Art's Cyclery shows how to adjust the low limit failsafe on an SRAM rear derailleur so it won't switch to a higher gear if you accidentally try to shift to a lower gear while already in the lowest gear. You need enough movement to activate the 2nd "ghost" click (DoubleTap), but not enough to move the cage into the spokes.

Can someone verify if this information is [still] accurate? I have SRAM Red 2012-2013 10-speed, and it seems if I adjust the low limit much inwards I run the risk of moving the cage into the spokes, or the chain fall off on the inside of the cassette.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

Rick

by Rick

THat video seems correct.

However, when I was adjusting mine, I wasn't really thinking about leaving a little extra room for the "fail safe click". I was just adjusting mine so that it would have enough travel to get up on the biggest cog very reliably without going over the cog and into the spokes.

It seems about equivalent and my fail-safe click works as advertised. I am actually using 2013 RED shifters with a FORCE WIFLY rear derraileur. 10 speed.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

n808

by n808

Thanks - I will carefully adjust it a little at a time.. I have the 2013 10-speed shifters with a regular Red derailleur, 12-27 cassette.
(2012/2014) Scott Addict R1, SRAM Red 6.6kg | 2012 Scott Scale Pro, SRAM X0, 9.4kg

eric

by eric

Thanks for posting that. Now I know why my setup sometimes shifts up when I try a downshift while in the large cog and sometimes does not. I'll set it up right now.

PoorCyclist

by PoorCyclist

Yes, overshifting will make cage will nudge slightly but the will remain in the same cog.
never had to do anything special to get this to work except lining up the cage and pulley and chain somewhat.
I've done that too many times trying to ride up a big hill :)

n808

by n808

Yeah, I need to get this fixed. I thought I was really good at keeping track of which gear I am in, but just when I need it to be right, I am wrong and end up shifting to the smaller cog at the exact wrong spot. I guess my old 2004 Dura-Ace gear indicators (both on wire and on Flightdeck computer) were used more than I thought.

eric

by eric

On Shimano (at least 7800 and older though I doubt it's changed) you can hit the downshift lever as much as you want when in the lowest cog and nothing will happen.

One of the advantages of having seperate levers for up and down shift.

n808

by n808

Yes, I am fully aware, having used nothing but Shimano since the 90's. This year I built my first SRAM DoubleTap equipped bike. The issue discussed here was easy to fix once I verified the method. Thanks for the advice.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

PoorCyclist wrote:Yes, overshifting will make cage will nudge slightly but the will remain in the same cog.
never had to do anything special to get this to work except lining up the cage and pulley and chain somewhat.
I've done that too many times trying to ride up a big hill :)

Same here. Did nothing special. Just lined up the pulley with the largest cog and the failsafe just works. The shifter clicks, but it won't move the chain past the largest cog.

tedh

by tedh

Just did this myself via micro adjusting the limit screw until the fail safe kicked in. Took 1min to do on my road and cx bikes by simply shifting beyond the low gear until the cable could pull far enough.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com