tiplet lacing problem

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I am trying to build up my royce hub with a 2:1 pattern on a Pacenti SL23 24H centre drilled rim and I have hit a snag.

The 3x pattern on the DS should require 286mm spokes fine but 286mm does not work it needed to be 286/288mm in a alternatiing pattern on the DS, how odd. The result in when tension and dished, and no matter how many times I even tensions out the pairs of spokes have different tensions. I am talking a 20% difference. I have now unbuilt the wheel to scratch my head. What is going on why won't it lace with 286mm and why do I end up with alternating tension pattern even after evening out in pairs. It makes no sense.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

Are the tire side spoke holes down the center channel of the rim or staggered alternating DS and NS a little? sorry if this is obvious but only thing I can think of. I did one last month with a BHS SL210 hub and didn't have this problem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Orfitinho

by Orfitinho

Deleted: i think that was not helpfull.

istigatrice

by istigatrice

Don't know how helpful this is, but what happens when you build it 2x on the DS?
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

monkeyburger

by monkeyburger

How is the NDS laced? I built a 32 on 24 triplet using a Mavic 571 Hub. In order to double check the spoke lengths I drew the whole assembly in CAD and found a similar problem arising. When I changed the NDS to 1x everything sat properly together.

Similarly I have had this issue when lacing 3x DS, 2x NDS on 32 hole hubs. I need to shift the entire NDS side one hole "forward" relative to its normal position for everything to be in proper relation.
...finding my inner Onoda-kun...

ergott

by ergott

Can you post some pics of it laced up? Also what are the dimensions of that Royce hub?

The drive tangential spokes should pair up like this. I never had to use two different spoke lengths on the drive side for a triplet build. Something doesn't sound right.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

spoke length issue resolved sort off. Relaced with 286mm DS and it is fine.

spoke tension issue resolved. There is an issue with the hub. What I was seeing with tensions evened out and a round straight wheel was a significant tension difference which would not go away. Looking at the wheel though the cause is obvious (should have stood back and looked at it before) the NDS flange has been glued to the carbon shell 15 degree the wrong way, it needs to be advanced clockwide when looking from the DS by 15 degrees so a radial laced spoke is perpendicular to the hub. I suspect the slight angle now to the hub is causing the tension inbalance on the DS.

I hope this is the cause and it can be fixed the NDS flange will have to be removed and regluded maybe to a new shell in its new position. Looks like I will have to wait some more for these wheels. Maybe by then I will have changed my mind about the rims again.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The problem is with 3x DS lacing! The hub was meant to be laced 2x DS! So how do you calculate spoke lengths for 2x lacing DS in a triplet pattern not ideal but I want to ride these wheels not have the hubs rebuilt for 3x DS. Royce do not normally make 24H triplet pattern hubs. The only one they have done before is a 24:12 pattern and this drilling pattern works for that. That was the mistake.

So how to calculate spoke lengths for 2x.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I guessed the DS spoke lengths correctly so no need to calculate them now. All built and ready for the first ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com