Advice on a 2005 SLT01 BMC Team Machine

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

ducakrugs

by ducakrugs

Hi I am the proud owner of a 2005 BMC SLT01 Team Machine .( or should I be....lol ).was wondering what bottom bracket it has for reference...It is the Floyd Landis model...All comments would be appreciated as to BMC as a make etc..I have just picked this up. Here is the E bay link to the image of it..... :lol:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161350702383? ... 1439.l2649

Thanks and hello to everyone...Dont know what it weighs....But it has an old set of Mavic Cosmic wheels on it and old Ultegra Groupset as can be seen in the images...Can anyone suggest improvements...?? Cheers[color=#000080][/color]

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I had it as my first carbon bike and I've to say it's a rather harsh ride compared to my current ride. Good bar tapes and maybe a move to wide rims/tires inflated to an appropriate pressure can help you make it a smoother ride.

Cheers!

by Cheers!

I'd say just give it a quick tune up (new cables and housings + new tires (25mm) + new chain). A good wash (Take the cassette off the hub and wash it in hot soapy water with and old toothbrush). Then wax the frame and go enjoy a bike ride. No need to go and strip it down right away. There is nothing wrong with old as long the components work.

ducakrugs

by ducakrugs

Cheers! wrote:I'd say just give it a quick tune up (new cables and housings + new tires (25mm) + new chain). A good wash (Take the cassette off the hub and wash it in hot soapy water with and old toothbrush). Then wax the frame and go enjoy a bike ride. No need to go and strip it down right away. There is nothing wrong with old as long the components work.

Thanks very much for the Advice ...Will be waxing the frame at the very least....cheers :lol:

Geoff

by Geoff

Old BMC's never die! Good find.

I have quite a collection of Phonak BMC's in my collection. I suspect that might be a 2004 model, but it is tough to see from those photos. When you get it, post pics!

The bike from 2004 was quite innovative and had a mixture of different tube types and shapes. The lugs, too, were made of different materials. The beauty of it's design was it allowed for full-custom. framesets for each rider! Try doing that with a monocoque. It is clearly the forerunner of the current top-line BMC product, the Impec.

From a ride perspective, the examples I have are typical of modern race bikes in the World Tour from the perspective of the pursuit of stiffness at the expense of everything else. These frames intentionally build-up into really harsh-riding bikes. If you want a softer ride, you can try to run higher-volume tires and keep the pressures down a bit (if you're the 'size' of rider who can get-away with it). At the front end, the 3T fork was not the 'Team' fork, so I can't give you any comment on how the front-end will feel.

When you get the bike, make sure you pull the bottom bracket and seatpost out and give the bottombracket shell and seattube a really good cleaning inside.

Enjoy that bike.