Xiamen Far Sports Experiences

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

addictR1

by addictR1

Yea that quote I hit was shipping with ems. China post takes forever. Williams racing seeks their blue pads for $15, but not sure if the same or not. My guess it's it probably is the same.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

trychle

by trychle

Last week I broke one of the Sapim XC-Ray spokes on the NDS of my FSC38-CM rear wheel..
Taking my cautious riding style and 59kg body weight in consideration, I am quite surprised that this happened.

Anyhow, now I need to get the wheel fixed.
Therefore I was wondering if anyone (Kyle?) here knows the spoke lenght of the NDS spokes that are used for lacing the 38mm rims to the Edhub.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

Easiest way is to measure the broken spoke.

trychle

by trychle

Great idea! There is, however, one little problem: I lost one of the two parts of the spoke.. :wink:

eric

by eric

My spokes always break at the elbow so they can still be measured.... unless I bent the spoke around other spokes so it would not flop around while finishing the ride.

You could ask the FarSports sales person you bought from. Or remove another spoke and measure it.

You will want re-tension the wheel after replacing the spoke. Both sets of wheels I've gotten from FarSports have been under tensioned.

What hubs? Was yours built with spoke washers?

pushstart

by pushstart

+1 what eric said: your wheel was almost certainly under tensioned. I would just ask them about the lengths, though to be fair the spokes they used on my rear wheel were a little too long (rim must have been undersized) and bottomed out in nipple when I was trying to get them up to tension. I added nipple washers and that added enough extra erd to make their spoke lengths work.

trychle

by trychle

Thanks for the advice guys. The spoke did indeed have a nipple washer (the wheels are the 38mm V-shape version with Edhubs).
I will send an email to Mae at Farsports in a minute!

Vortice

by Vortice

Can anyone report back on the new 220 degree brake track compared to the old basalt track?

eric

by eric

I have some of each. The new surface seems about the same in braking feel. There's more of a whirring noise when braking, not unpleasant.

rowdysluggins

by rowdysluggins

Unless I'm wrong the newest brake track surface is 220 degree with basalt fibers in the mix. Check the specs. 220 degree and basalt (They go together, I think).

pushstart

by pushstart

My 220 degree was not basalt, but that was a 2013 model. I never had the basalt to compare it to; I think the 220 braking surface was bad (terrifying lack of braking), but others say it is great / as good as bigger-name wheels. So I think carbon braking just sucks -- and I switched to disc brakes, problem solved.

addictR1

by addictR1

On my Addict, I got the v shaped with basalt, which stops great even on steep descents. The u shaped I got for my redline CX it has the 220+baslat, it stops very poorly, but probably cuz it's canti (avid shorty ultimate) it feels very squishy.

eric

by eric

pushstart wrote:My 220 degree was not basalt, but that was a 2013 model. I never had the basalt to compare it to; I think the 220 braking surface was bad (terrifying lack of braking),

what pads were you using? They make a difference.

Even so, with blue pads which are the best I have tried, braking is not as good as aluminium.

upside

by upside

Does anyone have any experience with the Farsports 24 carbon clincher. The weight seems great at 360 grams per rim and wheelset at 1199 grams. The one I was looking at is laced up with the ED hubs. I do live in a hilly region and do quite a bit of climbing. I have had 2 sets of the 38's without any issues, but remember someone saying that the smaller rims do not get rid of heat build up as fast. Any help is appreciated. This is the model I was looking to purchase.

[b][b]24mmx23mm Clincher with Edhub Model:FSC24CM-23 Light Weight[/b]

pushstart

by pushstart

eric wrote:what pads were you using? They make a difference.

Even so, with blue pads which are the best I have tried, braking is not as good as aluminium.

I was using the blue pads they provided; it seemed that people thought those were as good/better than other options. Yeah, maybe better (than Rival) calipers would help too, dunno. Wasn't a great experience, though, especially in wet. Just rollers around here, but sometimes need to stop quickly due to traffic, which was a frightening proposition with that setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com