15mm Axle 29er carbon fork

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

AdyM

by AdyM

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a rigid 29er fork with a 15mm thru axle for my latest build (which will be my winter bike)

Currently thinking of a Kinesis FF29 frame (or similar) - suggestions welcome. And the Kinesis IX fork to match. http://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/products/forks/mtb/ix
Any other well priced options you can think of? I think there is a ritchey one but is rather pricey.

The rest of the build will be a 1x10 set up and not sure about wheels yet (stans/hope) or some cheap chinese carbon ones, but will be hopefully in the <10kg range.

dgaddis12

by dgaddis12

Niner RDO, Whisky makes one as well.

Why do you want a 15mm thru-axle rigid fork? If you want compatibility with some wheels you already have and/or another bike/fork you already have, that's a good reason. Otherwise, IME QR's are better for rigid forks.

I had a chance to ride two Whisky forks back to back on the same frame and with the same wheels. One fork was QR, one had a 15mm axle, same geometry for both. The front hub was a Hope, so I just swapped endcaps and used it with both forks. There was hardly any difference in feel between the two. I mean very, very little - nothing like the difference with suspension forks.

The thru-axle set up was both heavier (~155g all in including hub endcaps, axles, skewers, etc) and $140 more expensive. If it were my money - I'd stick with a QR.

Here's the full article I wrote up on it: http://www.singletracks.com/blog/mtb-ge ... thru-axle/
Southern Wheelworks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AdyM

by AdyM

Thanks for that, will probably save myself some weight and money then! Always have the option for a 9mm thru axle.

Getter

by Getter

The Specialized Chisel has 9mm dropouts.

AdyM

by AdyM

So I am getting close to what my next bike will be, looking like the Carbonal Gaea, and fork, although one criticism I heard was the fork A/C length on the carbonal fork is quite long at 485mm. Does anyone know of any issues that could happen with running the 650B fork with an A/C length of 475mm?

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

AdyM wrote:So I am getting close to what my next bike will be, looking like the Carbonal Gaea, and fork, although one criticism I heard was the fork A/C length on the carbonal fork is quite long at 485mm. Does anyone know of any issues that could happen with running the 650B fork with an A/C length of 475mm?

650B 15mm thru axle fork with an A/C length of 470mm. everyone can get it from this link: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/15mm-thr ... 57146.html
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

weeni
in the industry

by weeni

AdyM wrote:Thanks for that, will probably save myself some weight and money then! Always have the option for a 9mm thru axle.

Have you found it? pls show the link of it.
web: www.xmcarbonspeed.com
Email: bellajian@foxmail.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

AdyM wrote:So I am getting close to what my next bike will be, looking like the Carbonal Gaea, and fork, although one criticism I heard was the fork A/C length on the carbonal fork is quite long at 485mm. Does anyone know of any issues that could happen with running the 650B fork with an A/C length of 475mm?

One obvious issue would be that you'll end up with a steeper head tube angle...

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have the FF29 frame and went with the Kenesis fork. Yet to assemble and ride but the fork looks good but is over 800g. Still for the money is not bad. I am going with 29er carbon tubular rims. Again hoping for sub 10kg. Good luck with your build.

AdyM

by AdyM

Thanks, any news on the kinesis fork? That does seem heavy compared to the claimed weight, but then the 15mm axle ones are quite a bit more weighty. I think I'm going to order the kinesis fork 15mm for 'future proofing' and I really love thru axles :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The thru axle fork is 816g and the Q/R fork is 710g. I have gone for the Q/R fork in my FF29 now and the thru axle fork is available for sale at a cheaper price if you want it.