Trek Emonda SLR 10, Thoughts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dunbar42

by dunbar42

andy2 wrote:'So this new material has a density 1/10th of regular clear coat? Or maybe 5ml will cover a full frame? Just asking.

It's matte black so you could theoretically use a powdercoat type application (static charge) to get just enough product on the frame to mask the bare carbon fiber look. Even the press photo on Trek's site makes the finish look sort of ghetto/stealth bomber-ish. I'm guessing clear coat can't be applied that way without looking like crap. 5 grams does sound awfully light though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spartan

by spartan

parlee also has a superlight frame finish.. don't recall the weight though..

btw most impressive is the integrated bar/stem... bonty's claimed weights are pretty accurate. nothing on the market currently can match these.

reach is missing from the spec ?
Attachments
2014-07-01 18_16_50-Bontrager_ XXX Integrated Bar_Stem (Model #12500).png
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

wkwt

by wkwt

MNX1024 wrote:
1415chris wrote:Before we go overexcited lets wait for the frame's weight confirmation.
On the other side, as somebody mentioned above, if 100g is added for normal paint, that will put this frame alongside R5vwd.
Still quite impressive for Trek.

Frame weight confirmation would be nice, but according to wkwt, that claim weight is without U5 Vapour coat.

wkwt wrote:The Emonda will not be available in Project One at launch. The 690g weight on the SLR frame is without the U5 Vapor Coat, amazingly.

Forgive me, Velonews says the SLR frame does use a new form of Vapor Coat. Given that its a $1000 Project One option, the frame is a pretty solid "value."

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

and the fine print..

"it has a weight limit of 275 pounds" : )

It is great that they carbon layup and finish that light and cheap, big step forward for the industry ..... love competition the other manufactures have to scared... I have always said that if the UCI didn't change the rules to two triangles in 98/99ish we would all be riding Treks they were years ahead of anyone...

I think the production thing is kinda funny what is the definition production? Cervelo said 300 Rca so that kinda sounds close to production to me.. is that 300 a year or 300 total? but they don't consider it "production"

Will Trek make much more than 300 SLR 10? I don't know I would guess that they do but I don't think they will make as many as everyone thinks they do... I don't think there is a "large" market for 4,000$ frames ....

I still haven't seen a Cannondale black on the road or in a shop and I have only see on Rca and one 2014 R5 ... and I live in NorCal that has to be one of the top bike Markets in the US...

C

deek

by deek

CharlesM wrote:I wonder what EE Cycleworks will have to say about the new Bontrager brakes...

I wonder what WTB has to say about eeBrakes?

ichobi

by ichobi

So, it's still heavier than the RCA (a bit) but managed to get to production level (and hopefully make profit) Cervelo said they lose money every RCA they sell. Overall solid design but I think their marketing material is quite misleading. The pro said it's light bike and all but they still has to race at the 6.8kg marks.

justkeepedaling

by justkeepedaling

It's still significantly heavier than the RCA since the RCA's weight includes front and rear derailleurs, seatpost collar, and water bottle bolts. That being said, impressive weight for a production frame, and I am considering getting one

ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

by ProEvoSLTeamHighMod

I mean, it's definitely NOT the lightest production frame - Nano, RCa, etc...

but it is definitely the most baller spec on a "production" bike... and honestly that Red crank is heavy, if only they'd give up on BB90...

Wouldn't pay 15k for it to still say Trek on it, but that's just me..

Ozrider

by Ozrider

What's wrong with Trek? Just as good as Cannondale, Specialized, Giant, Scott etc etc etc

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

donald

by donald

I don't have a bar/stem combo but my individual 44 cm. bar and 105 mm. stem are 197.5 grams total. Much lighter than this new Trek combo. It is good to see more frames and components going lighter and I look forward to seeing some real world weights.

eric01

by eric01

what bar/stem are you using?
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

Ozrider

by Ozrider

@ Donald - wow 197g for a bar and stem, that is featherweight, as most bars are around 180-220g and most light stems from about 85-120g. Tell us more.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ozrider - Western Australia
Parlee Z5 XL (6055g/13.32lbs) Trek Madone 5.9 (7052-7500g)Jonesman Columbus Spirit (8680g)
Chase your dreams - it's only impossible until it's done

beeatnik

by beeatnik

uraqt wrote:
I still haven't seen a Cannondale black on the road or in a shop and I have only see on Rca and one 2014 R5 ... and I live in NorCal that has to be one of the top bike Markets in the US...

C

Few weeks ago, there were two Black Inc Evos and 3 Rcas (well 1 Rca and 2R5cas) on the big San Gabriel Valley Saturday group rides. A lot more money on the Westside, South Bay, Orange County and Simi rides. So there must be a lot of the uber light production bikes out in the wild. Surprised you haven't seen more in the land of tech riches.

wingguy

by wingguy

uraqt wrote:I still haven't seen a Cannondale black on the road or in a shop and I have only see on Rca and one 2014 R5 ... and I live in NorCal that has to be one of the top bike Markets in the US...

They're definitely out there. Our shop has seen a couple of Black Evos, couple of Black Synapses (+ a couple of limited Synapse 72s) and a black F29 - five R5CAs, two RCAs, several current R5s, and when they were still frame only at £3500 it put out 40+ R5 VWDs in one year. And that's in rural England, which probably isn't a top bike market by anyone's standards.

So while the top end bike market isn't as big as a lot of people think it is, it's probably bigger than you think it is as well. :noidea:

Stats

by Stats

Anyone else thought it was weird they seemed to just jumble up the 'Madone' name to come up with 'Emonda'? ...will the next model be called the "Daemon"? ...then "Nomade" ....then "Manode"...then... ok, i'll stop now. But the 'jumble' doesn't seem to have stopped there - now the brakes have moved up to where they're supposed to be and at least the fork no longer looks like it's hard a hard shunt into a truck.

I think it's good they've effectively gotten rid of the 4 and 6 series, they had too many levels of bike before... It also makes it an easier choice (more financially distinct) for those who can't afford an SLR, to just get the way more affordable SL... in Australia at least, the SLR frameset is $6k - whilst the SL frame is less than half the price at $2,200... but I can't seem to find the frame weights for the SL frame?

I saw the red Emonda SL6 the other day, actually looks really nice in person. With a complete groupset too, I think that Cannondale have a bit of a contender when it comes to their second tier Evo frames now (which due to BB30, unfortunately miss out on the crankset).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com