New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hbrown

by Hbrown

No more bike set up! I thought that I would actually miss this feature. I DON'T! Remove 1000 from bike 1, quick wrist turn. snake off tether.

YOU BETTER USE IT!!

Snake on tether, on bike 2,3 ,4 5, whatever. Hit train, swing leg over bike! touch start, and your off. I love it!

this thing finds satelites so fast its amazing!!

You have to pair sensors to 1000. I actually wonder if it is possible, if you have Multiple bikes, with multiple sensors, in one area ands select search all, will they all pair at once?

I have 2 sets of the new sensors coming. I will see if it will pair all at once.

I still don't like the power button. but I can now turn it on within the 2nd press, Just have to find the sweet spot. And I'm gold!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

HBrown... It should not pair to multiple sensors that are the same type... If I activate my wahoo kickr and my stages and power tap... it does not like it.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

coppercook62

by coppercook62

It ask you which one you would like to pair if it picks up another.

intheknowcycling

by intheknowcycling

The Garmin Edge 1000 is a big distraction riders and another mistake for Garmin. Here's my 500 word reaction to Garmin’s Edge 1000 and where the company is trying to lead cycling enthusiasts. http://intheknowcycling.com/2014/06/29/ ... straction/
Steve
http://intheknowcycling.com
What cycling gear to get next and where to get it

superdx

by superdx

Not sure your post hits the mark. The unit is large, yes, but you also control how much data you show on it. Can be as few as 2-3 data fields. It's only as distracting as you want it to be. And no one is stopping you from using an old Edge 500 instead of the latest and greatest.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

+1

What? A distraction? I do not have one yet, but the 800 I do have has never told me to look at it. I do turn off the warning beeps [because that is a distraction]. I'm certain Garmin has that option with the 1000 and does not have a feature that insists I look at it.

Someone is off the mark, but it is not Garmin.

BeeSeeBee

by BeeSeeBee

Yeah, that was pretty much a false dichotomy and not really a well thought out critique. Lots of data is fine, no data is fine, but you should be able to pretty easily figure out where on the spectrum you are and plan accordingly.

I was actually annoyed my 810 didn't have a tether, so I added one in. At least with the new new units (not just slightly re-vamped, looking at you 810) they're adding it as a stock option, these things are expensive, and the tabs have been known to break.

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Where do I begin? Todays ride was 88 deg, I took it really ez, and rode on the MUP, around the Kelley drive here in Philadelphia. It is a beautiful loop around the Schuykill river.

I am very tech oriented, but I can only remember looking at my 1000 maybe twice over the ride of 22 miles. The scenery was gorgouse! The few joggers that were out were not all over the MUP as usual. It was Beautiful!!

The beeps, I heard. i know that I was below my heart rate, so it was not unexpected. not intrusive, nor obnoxiouse. My cadence was low, a beep confirmed that, no problem, I wasn't burning calories as I should have. A beep confirmed that. A beep here and a beep there did not diminish my experience.

What I did like was that after my ride, I carried my bike up the stairs, took a quick shower, grabbed my bowl of cerial, plopped in front of my laptop, and opened my connect. All of my ride information was already downloaded from the wifi. I connected my 1000 and uploaded to Strava, no surprise there, no acheivements. Left a comment on my frame of mind and my ride. then checked this site.

I guess what I am saying is that even though we (I) harp on how great this thing is, I don't constantly look at it. I do enjoy the scenery, I do enjoy the outdoors, and live to get out there. but not on hard effort days!!

The guy that brought my 800 from me loves it!! He is like a kid with a new toy! The funny thing about it was that he had a 500, which he has now given to his girlfriend. The 1000 is like going from a 500 to a 800! Now I went from a 800 to a 1000, There is no contest! The 1000 is, I don't know how to say it, but it is the 1000!! Screen could have been bigger! Large size! Small glitches at first but have since never happened again. NO STRAVA SEGMENTS!!!!!

BUT TRY AND TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME!!!! I DON"T THINK SO!!

petal666

by petal666

If there are no bike profiles, and I have no sensors on my bikes, how do you keep a record of the kms ridden on each bike now?

coppercook62

by coppercook62

you cant

coppercook62

by coppercook62

if you use strava that can work but the unit is grand total only. I was pretty bummed about it

kode54

by kode54

Hbrown wrote:Where do I begin? ...I don't constantly look at it. I do enjoy the scenery, I do enjoy the outdoors, and live to get out there. but not on hard effort days!!

i typically don't look at my Garmin either. its really to log in my mileage and i can look back and see where and how hard i rode regardless whether its a tourist pace or business pace.
what i do look at and the largest number at top is my heart rate. that's my major concern. other than that, i enjoy getting out for fresh air and scenery.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Hbrown

by Hbrown

I wonder if I have a problem? I went to download my ride this morning. And it would not show all of my achievments on Strava. I am hoping that maybe Strava is just overloaded with rides this morning! Being the fourth of July and all. My 1000 is working fine. I just can't get it to download in to my Training Center. Does anybody have any ideas why the 1000 will not work with TC?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

mine always tells me upload failed... but when I go to GC.. it's there.. Whatever as long as it's there... I don't care. Uploaded to strava is no issue and all my achievments show ...no issues.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

tomyboy2

by tomyboy2

I am using using GSC-10 speed / cadence sensor, everything works OK until I turn of GPS.
Gradient and auto start/stop fuction stop working.
Anyone else have this issue?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com