And finally , BORA get fat?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eurperg

by eurperg

A little bit more rounded but nothing radical. I don't like the external nipples... Anybody ever had to true their Boras?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Was wondering when they'd update the Bora II's. Can't tell if they're actually wider at the rim, but I hope they didn't go too much wider, they are tubulars after all so just give enough width and rimbed shape to properly glue a wider tire and all is good. Hubs look a little less sexy than the current version imo, but i'm sure they'll be just as smooth. I do prefer the outboard nipples for a couple of reasons. 1) easier to true if you need to (I've only ever broke one spoke on a Bora but it's still a pain to have to remove the tire to replace it. And 2) Even though you can't see the rim bed in these photos I would guess it's the same as the Bora 35's... meaning no holes, which makes it a breeze to brush the glue over without trying to go around the holes and avoid getting globs of glue inside the rim. So even though hidden nipples would undoubtedly test better in the aero department, I'm glad Campy is giving the nod to practicality over aero in this case. I really like the overall shape too.

I had a pair of Bora 35's to look over for a few days and they just felt so so solid. Very impressed.

Geez... with the new 2015 changes to the group, and a set of these new Boras... Campy looks to remain the sexiest group on the road.

Can't wait to try a set and see if the wider rounder inner profile really makes that much of a difference to the stability in cross winds. According to the ENVE folks and others, it seems to. I found that merely going from a 23mm tire to a 25mm tire also increased the stability... so now I just want to know which has the bigger effect.

And although this has nothing to do with the wheels, if you want to go with direct mount brakes and get them aero... then the way depicted on this Canyon is the way to go, as opposed to hiding them under the bottom bracket. Just a much better functional placement.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

LionelB

by LionelB

Anyone has the actual dimensions ?

Irish

by Irish

The reason the brakes are seatstay and not b/bkt/chainstay mounted is because pro team mechanics don't like the under chainstay style as it's slightly akward to readjust "on the move" during races.

sawyer

by sawyer

eurperg wrote:A little bit more rounded but nothing radical. I don't like the external nipples... Anybody ever had to true their Boras?

Yes - but only after a crash. They are stout.

Anyone know if the 35mm rim is fattening up. We need that fatter with the Ultra hubs pls.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

xplaza

by xplaza

Looks like not only Boras will get upgrades for 2015, the Fulcrum Racing Zero have a new braking surface treatment so expect at least some new Shamals too :D

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/fulcrum-racing- ... t/?lang=en

The specs list them at 25mm wide, nice!

Permon

by Permon

Intresting: Carbon brake pads must be used on the aluminium Fulcrums....
It looks good.

The Valverdes set up is weird:
- Campa groupset with Dura Ace brakes (I understand why....I am just surprised Campagnolo allowed them to use it)
- Boras rims with Scirocco hubs! (the oficial ULTRAs will definatelly have the carbon ones used on Bora ultra 35)

9x12man

by 9x12man

More information on the Fulcrum Racing Zeros for 2015:

http://blog.wiggle.com/2014/06/29/win-a ... wheelsets/

sawyer

by sawyer

Permon wrote:The Valverdes set up is weird:

- Boras rims with Scirocco hubs! (the oficial ULTRAs will definatelly have the carbon ones used on Bora ultra 35)

Those are not Scirocco hubs.

As stated further up thread they are Bora One hubs (or very similar). They look identical to the hubs on my Bora Ones

Incidentally these also look very similar to the hubs on Zondas, Scirrocos etc etc ... It's the internals that are different to everything below Zondas where you drop into cartridge bearing land rather than cup and cone.

Having owned tons of the Campag range of wheelsets there is a big step up/ down at that point

Permon

by Permon

I have Bora ONE wheels and my hubs are definatelly different from the ones on the pictures above!

BOra One hubs:
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/wheels ... tid_10.jsp

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The blog say the Zeros are 25mm deep on the front and 30mm at the rear but the link you posted xplaza has a different spec. One is wrong or both who know until they arrive.

sawyer

by sawyer

I stand corrected if they are not Bora One hubs ... though that doesn't make them scirroco hubs either - which would be very weird as they are low end cr@p.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I think they've messed that zero description up a but, I reckon they're 23mm wide with height being 25/30. I really hope they make a tub version!

Looks like Campy saw all the money that Mavic have been raking in w SLR. Ran my R-SYS SLR tubs in horrid conditions at Grand Bo on Sunday and easily out descended everyone, they are a massive advantage in bad weather. My skilz were about equal to the othes.

As for the hub debate earlier, I had a pair of Bora special edition zero.7 off the Wilier w ceramic bearing and that same hub shell. They were still insanely good despite the ugliness.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

I think they've messed that zero description up a but, I reckon they're 23mm wide with height being 25/30. I really hope they make a tub version!

Looks like Campy saw all the money that Mavic have been raking in w SLR. Ran my R-SYS SLR tubs in horrid conditions at Grand Bo on Sunday and easily out descended everyone, they are a massive advantage in bad weather. My skilz were about equal to the othes.

As for the hub debate earlier, I had a pair of Bora special edition zero.7 off the Wilier w ceramic bearing and that same hub shell. They were still insanely good despite the ugliness.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

Would've expected the blog to highlight the fact that they are now wider.
Pics don't look like they're 23 or 25mm. I expect they are the standard 20.5mm width.

I'll be pleasantly surprised if I'm proved incorrect!