'13/'16 Supersix Evo Black-Inc (5.42kg)

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

by 573

EDIT: This thread starts off as a build of my '13 Supersix Evo Red and then covers the swap over of components to a '13 Evo Nano Black-Inc. 'Finished' bike pic:

EDIT: Photobucket has knicked some of my early pics, I'll update where possible and host the missing ones elsewhere...
------------------------

I've been using a 2009 Trek 1.7 since late 2008. I got it down to 7.6kg - thread here: Trek 1.7 Project. The original aim was to get it below UCI weight of 6.8kg. Calculations told me that swapping the groupset for SRAM Red would get me there. However, I spotted this Evo for sale at not much more than the groupset would cost me, so with added man-maths I had to have it.

I'd wanted this bike in this colourway when I saw it new last year, but couldn't justify it - so I was really pleased to find a shop that had one left, in the correct size at a large discount. I'd debated whether to get a 54 or a 56. My Trek is a 56, but I used lots of geometry comparison tools and realised I could get into exactly the right geometry I needed on the 54 by just adding a longer stem - I have one on order.

Quick phone snap after building it up as the factory intended:

I then swapped some parts off the Trek onto the Evo: Ti stem bolts, 3T Dorico Ltd post, Fizik Arionne R1 saddle, Mavic R-Sys SLR wheels with Veloflex Corsa tyres and Vredestein latex tubes and SRAM Red XG1090 cassette. I also dropped the bars but haven't cut the steerer yet as I want to ride it a bit first - although I think I'll probably need to lose the conical spacer too and can go lower.

I then fitted a set of Look Keo2 Carbon pedals and then weighed it. It came in at 6.38kg, which has to be a good starting point? No Garmin mount fitted or bottle cage, but still with steerer to cut, heavy topcap expander and Cannondale bar plugs etc.

I think it looks fantastic. It rides really nicely too - just nipping around the block with ordinary shorts and t-shirt on. I need some Mavic Exalith specific brake blocks for the wheels I've fitted and it needs a Garmin mount. Can't wait to get out on it properly though.

The Trek has had some of the hand-me-down bits. It looks a bit sad compared to its glory days. Not as bad as I'd feared though. It now tips the scales at 8.1kg. This will become my wet / winter bike and the Specialized Allez will be sold on to recoup some of the outlay.

I took some better pics on the DSLR - will pop then up when I get chance.
Last edited by 573 on Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 17 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Looks beautiful mate. What saddle is that (model I mean)??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

by 573

Thanks dude - it's a Fizik Arionne R1 saddle.

by 573

I needed to swap the 100mm stem for a 110mm one. I was surprised to find the Cannondale C1 weighed in at 103g (without bolts).

I replaced it with a 110mm Kalloy Uno that I weighed at 114g.

Graphics stripped with acetone and with the bolts removed it was 94g.

Swapping the bolts to Ti bought the total weight to 106g (C1 with bolts was 122g).

Adding a Bontrager Racelight carbon bottle cage added 22g. Total weight is therefore now 6.39kg

I must have made an error previously, the 6.38kg was without a bottle-cage or pedals. I've put the Look Keo carbons back on the Trek.

Pedals and Garmin mount should hopefully be here tomorrow.

by 573

Thanks!

The crankset is SRAM S951. If I understand correctly this is basically a set of un-branded SRAM Force cranks with Red chainrings? Switch to Full Red Exogram with aftermarket rings or Hollowgram SISL2 should make a sizeable drop in weight.

Other plans are a lighter topcap/expander, cut the fork steerer and lose the spacers, lighter bars, lighter tape and bar plugs, Ti spindles for the Looks.

argus

by argus

Looks great!

by 573

Thanks.

Anyone able to answer my question about the S951 crankset? Is it essentially a re-branded SRAM Force set of cranks with red rings?

by 573

Gave up trying to get another set of Carbon Look Keo Max and despite the issues some people seem to be having with them I got some Look Blade 2 Ti. They weighed in at 93g each for the 16nm. I lowered the saddle 2mm to take account of the 2mm lower stack height. So far they seem good and I have none of the clipping in issues others describe due to the pedal not falling to a natural position. In fact I like that they stay wherever they are when you unclip from them.

I chopped the steerer too so it's now just on the conical headset spacer. I feel it will go lower and I'll probably lose the conical spacer. Will wait until I get the lighter Cannondale expander and top cap.

I must have weighed it without pedals to get 6.39 kg as reweighing it with the Look Keos, bottle cage and Garmin mount it was 6.69kg. Now finally have a proper weight with bottle cage, Garmin mount, Look Blade2 Ti pedals and some bolt tuning of of 6.59kg.

I took some pics but they weren't so successful, particularly of the whole bike profile. Here's what I did get:

rheosibal

by rheosibal

Duuude, sweet ride! Makes me miss my Evo (same color), yet I love my CAAD.

As for the S951 Crank arms, I'm pretty sure they're the same arms as Sram's Quarq line, as well as the Sram Force.

:thumbup:
Instagram: joserheo

|| Mosaic RT-1 || Cannondale Evo || Cannondale CAAD10 ||

by 573

Thanks dude. Your build was one of the inspirations to me wanting this black/grey/red colourway. I'd love a CAAD to sit alongside this.

paradawt

by paradawt

Sweeeet! Very nice.

Congrats!
Berria Belador 7

superdx

by superdx

That isn't a HM frame right? Impressive you got it down to just 6.38kg!

by 573

No it's not HM - I didn't like the paint and graphics of the Red HM so took the weight hit for aesthetics - I'm a self confessed tart. :D

6.39kg was without pedals, cage or Garmin mount - it's currently at 6.59kg with those. To be honest though - the Reds are light bikes pretty much out of the box other than the wheels and some of the finishing kit. The 10 speed Red is a light groupset. I've only really changed the wheels, tubes and tyres, cassette, saddle, seatpost and stem and swapped a few bolts and chopped the steerer. Nothing I've fitted has been weenie either - it's all dependable stuff I can stick miles in to. I learnt my lesson running a stupid seat post on the Trek and was lucky not to crash when it snapped, I think my days of bare carbon saddles are over too and I had no end of squeaks that drove me mad that I chased to a super-lightweight set of carbon/Ti skewers that had plastic bushes that wore. I now have the heavy stock Mavic ones on as they're absolutely rock solid and I can trust them.

The C2 handlebar is heavy as is the older top-cap and expander, bartape and the metal Cannondale barplugs. Easy weight loss there without getting into really expensive weenie bits. I'll fit a 3t Rotundo Ltd to match the seatpost. With lighter tape and plugs that could be nearly a 200g drop alone.

I could drop a chunk with a swap to Hollowgram too. Probably enough to be getting near to the 6kg mark.

I'm really enjoying riding it - position is nice and low at the front (14cm headtube) and the wheelbase is quite short so it's agile and makes you want to attack everything. I'm not at full fitness at the mo but I'm still smashing Strava segments from when I know I was in much better condition (and about 7kg lighter).

superdx

by superdx

Kudos on the effort regardless! I have the same 2013 bike, though with the Ultegra Di2 groupset. It's an inspiration to see what you did to get it to such a low weight. Mine is like 8.1kg with Ksyrium SLR wheels, and I have no idea why it weighs so much. All my components are C1 as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com