Open mold wide profile carbon wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pushstart

by pushstart

I would just ask Farsports for tension specs. My rear wheel was under tensioned (I ended up rebuilding it). Specs for mine were 135kgf rear and 90kgf front.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thuekr

by Thuekr

tharmor wrote:I was just looking at Yishun's website to check for an update on the 2015 u shape rims we were discussing on the previous page(s), and to my surprise it would appear that they have changed the design. Now all of the various depths list a maximum width of only 25mm, whereas before they were being advertised as having a maximum width of 28mm.

Seems a bit weird, and I know a few of you had placed orders with them. Any feedback on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

The 25mm wide market seems saturated to me now. The 28mm wide market wasn't, and I was intrigued to see the shape/profile to compare it to Easton's new offering.

Life is like a box of chocolate.

I see your concern and hope [<-- haha] that me 28mm arrives like I ordered.

thegunner

by thegunner

is the only way to get the FS rims (the new design ones) to email them directly? they don't seem to be listed on the wheelsfar site... also any discernible difference with the FSE wheels vs. the non?

kulivontot

by kulivontot

As far as I can tell, the fse rims are the same, they just use the crabon straight pull hubs and have specialized logos

thegunner

by thegunner

along the same lines, it says that the FSL50-CM is 20.5mm (but has a U shaped rim) - does anyone own this / have a firsthand account of whether or not it's a blunt edge with a wide profile? i tried emailing a couple of days ago, but they sent me a rim profile that seemed to be the old 'v' style rim...

kulivontot

by kulivontot

I don't think it is u shaped.

pantelones

by pantelones

I received a set of 45mm Carbon wheels from light bicycle:
UD, matte, front 20H/rear 24H
Red Novatec A291/F482 Hubs
Black pillar 1420 aero x-tra
Red alloy nipples

Front weight (w/o Rim strips or skewers): 613g
Rear weight (w/o Rim strips or skewers): 794g
F+R Skewers: 114g

So far I am very happy. They look great and appear to be well built. The red hubs/nipples really pops with the red/black/white paint of my cervelo s2. I've not checked spoke tensions or measured radial/lateral trueness. My plan is to just ride them and see how they perform real world. In NZ i'll be doing a bit of wet riding so I am anxious to see if the wet braking is better than my first generation narrow far-sports carbon wheel.

I have been running 23F/25R tires on "narrow" rims for a while now. Moving these tires over to the wider light-bicycle rims and the lower pressures associated has made the ride heaps more comfortable. It is also my perception that they are cornering better. I have a race this weekend so I will find out then how they perform in battle.

pushstart

by pushstart

pantelones wrote:I've not checked spoke tensions or measured radial/lateral trueness. My plan is to just ride them and see how they perform real world.

I would recommend checking the tensions. "Real-world riding" likely won't reveal any problem with tension imbalance until you break a spoke out on the middle of nowhere. It is worth taking a few minutes. If you don't have a tension meter, at least use tones to ensure they are all the same (or buy the iPhone app spoke tension meter).

thegunner

by thegunner

kulivontot wrote:I don't think it is u shaped.

so they apparently make 20.5 width U shaped wheels (as well as 23's and 25's).

I ended up getting a set of 23's... so we'll see how that goes.

tharmor

by tharmor

Thuekr wrote:Life is like a box of chocolate.

I just received this email from yishunbike. I'm going to assume that the wheels will max out to 28mm but that they are experiencing and Chinese to English translation error on their website or something to that effect ::

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Could you share their e-mail address? Cant find these rims on their website.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

Thuekr

by Thuekr

tharmor wrote:
Thuekr wrote:Life is like a box of chocolate.

I just received this email from yishunbike. I'm going to assume that the wheels will max out to 28mm but that they are experiencing and Chinese to English translation error on their website or something to that effect ::

Great!

tharmor

by tharmor

rainerhq wrote:Could you share their e-mail address? Cant find these rims on their website.

I am on their mailer, and so I am not positive if this email address will yield a great result ::

info@yishunbike.com

The best way to get info from them is to hit the "contact us" button next to each product and ask your question that way.

*edit -

And this is the URL to the 2015 range ::

http://www.yishunbike.com/2015-rims-wid ... 2_734.html

tharmor

by tharmor

Just wanted to add these two things ::

1. I've been going back in forth via email with Jason@yishunbike.com

2. I asked about a complete wheelset build and this is the info I got ::

We recommend that CP series. it is $569/pair built with WU6T.
Spokes: pillar x-tra1420
Hubs: Chosen hubs
Free gift: a pair of skewers and spare nipples and spokes.

$569+shipping is seriously steep compared to FlyBike's wide wheel offerings which come with Sapim CX-Rays for $435+shipping.

Bummed about the difference in cost.

tharmor

by tharmor

**Update**

Today's email from Jason at Yishunbike. Didn't take any pressure to get him to come down this far ::

Rrims: WU6T
Spokes: Mac aero 494 spokes
Hubs: Novatec
Free Gift: A pair of skewers and spare nipples and spokes

It is $419/pair for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com