Cervelo R3 build help

Who are you (no off-topic talk please)

Moderators: MrCurrieinahurry, maxim809, Moderator Team

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

I have just gotten my 2014 R3 105, have 100 miles of continental divide climbing on it and decided I'd like to put it on a diet and also visit the style salon. I'm having my lbs (Great Divide Cyclery) order up the following: I'd love your suggestions and comments before I pull the trigger.
Cogset: Ultegra 11-32
Crankset: Rotor 3D Plus 50/34 or FSA SL-K Light Compact 50/34
Chain: Dura Ace
Rear Derailleur: Ultegra 6800 long cage
Front Derailleur: Ultegra 6800
Shifters: Ultegra 6800 STI
Brakes: Ultegra 6800
Wheelset: Roval Rapide CLX 40 (1375g)
Skewers: Zipp Titanium Road
Seatpost: ENVE 25mm setback
Saddle: Fizik Antares VS Braided
Stem: 3T ARX II Team Stealth
Handlebars: 3T Ergonova Stealth

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Thanh

by Thanh

Look like you've know what you want to upgrade, that is a lot improve from you stock kits. Would be nice that up load some pics before and after, of course weight as well.

derailer

by derailer

I'm curious why you are going from 105 to Ultegra. That seems like a relatively small but costly upgrade. Why not just go "whole hog" to dura ace? I ask only because the r3 105 is a bike I'm considering purchasing and upgrading piece by piece. Looks like a great upgrade spec otherwise.

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

derailer wrote:I'm curious why you are going from 105 to Ultegra. That seems like a relatively small but costly upgrade. Why not just go "whole hog" to dura ace?

I chose Ultegra over Dura Ace primarily based on the ROI. The Ultegra 6800 components are very similar in build and function to the DA with a small weight penalty. I have to make some compromises along the way to keep the budget reasonable. My lbs is going to set me up with the 6800 shifters, brakes, cables, derailleurs and cogset along with a DA chain and install for a super sweet price (I just bought an Ultegra equiped Roubaix for my wife and the R3 for me, also buying the Rovals and other upgrades from them). If you ride the Shimano 105 and 6800 Ultegra bikes you will see a significant performance jump and weight drop between the two groups. My wife's Ultegra 6800 bike is velvet compared to my 105.
BTW, I am loving the ride of the R3; fast, surprisingly comfortable and nimble.

Antoine

by Antoine

looks good but is the Enve seatpost necessary ? It's nice but expensive and seatposts don't make much difference.

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

Antoine wrote:looks good but is the Enve seatpost necessary ? It's nice but expensive and seatposts don't make much difference.

Honestly, the ENVE seatpost is pretty much an esthetic add and will only drop 30-35g which figures out to about $10/gram!

shoopdawoop

by shoopdawoop

Looks like a great upgrade to a great frame although matching stem, bars, post, etc. always looks better in my opinion. Maybe look to a 3T seatpost as well?

Oswald

by Oswald

Following rule #5, I would suggest putting your 105 on your wife's bike. Then putting her Ultegra on your bike. :mrgreen:

Thanh

by Thanh

Oswald wrote:Following rule #5, I would suggest putting your 105 on your wife's bike. Then putting her Ultegra on your bike. :mrgreen:

Sound cool but you might end up sleeping in the garage :-D

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

Going with the ENVE carbon stem, saw it at my lbs today and it's sweet.

rma

by rma

As a Cervelo owner, I really tend to use 3T parts. Is this a bad thing?

vtspot

by vtspot

Thanh wrote:
Oswald wrote:Following rule #5, I would suggest putting your 105 on your wife's bike. Then putting her Ultegra on your bike. :mrgreen:

Sound cool but you might end up sleeping in the garage :-D

lol, that's definitely a bad ROI. :D

SilentG

by SilentG

judging from your want list, you probably should have just bought the ultegra r3 and a set of wheels. but since you didn't, i would suggest you just swap out the wheels, crank, handlebar, and get a light weight set of brakes. it would also be cheaper to just buy ti bolts for the stem instead of buying a 3t team stem. the enve stuff is very nice, and if you want to plunk down the coin for it, by all means do so, but you're not going to save much weight. if it were me, i'd out that money towards a thm crank.

Cookiedds

by Cookiedds

SilentG wrote:judging from your want list, you probably should have just bought the ultegra r3 and a set of wheels.

I was able to buy the R3-105 and have the shop install the full Ultegra 6800 groupset (minus crankset) for $1000 less than buying the R3-Ultegra. Since I would have been replacing the wheel set, handlebars, saddle, stem and seatpost anyway it really made $1000 more sense to buy the one I did and build it the way I wanted. I get it this afternoon all built up including the Roval Rapide CLX 40 wheel set. I'll let you know the before and after weight.

YoKaiser

by YoKaiser

Since you mention the R3 105 and R3 Ultegra is it true that the frames are different? R3 105 being last years frame and Ultegra beign this years( with trickle down R5 tech)?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com