Do I need a new shifter (more Campag woes)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lewis

by Lewis

As above. Had a funny one the other day and it now seems to be persistent. When changing down from say the third or forth cog up from smallest on the rear block, the chain jumps all the way to the smallest ring. I have re-indexed the gears and they change perfectly otherwise, but the shifter seems to clatter and pop down the smallest cog from the 3rd/4th one as detailed above.

Think the rear mech is fine, but I suspect it's an issue with the ratchet mechanism inside the shifter. I have adjust cable tension etc, but any tighter and it puts the gears out of sync and they rasp like hell. So like I said they are indexed perfectly.

What do we think?
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

What model and year of shifter?

Obviously a serious problem, but more info would help for suggestions.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kode54

by kode54

i had a few mishaps with Campy SR11 shifters...but i found that i didn't make sure the hoods were on correctly. a little misaligned and it could throw the shifting off a bit. there's a little rubber nub that protrudes out that i didn't secure. just a thought.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bontie

by bontie

Without stating the obvious, are you not shifting down through all of the ultrashift range i.e. 4 cogs, rather than one?
I would be very surprised if the shifting is good on the upshift and bad on the downshift.

Lewis

by Lewis

bikerjulio wrote:What model and year of shifter?

Obviously a serious problem, but more info would help for suggestions.

Well I got the bike in 2012 so I'm guessing sometime then. It's Athena 11 speed. It was working perfectly last week and for two years it so. It's rab fink developed this issue in the past week :(

kode54 wrote:i had a few mishaps with Campy SR11 shifters...but i found that i didn't make sure the hoods were on correctly. a little misaligned and it could throw the shifting off a bit. there's a little rubber nub that protrudes out that i didn't secure. just a thought.

I will look at this but I haven't changed anything of fiddled with the hoods of late...

bontie wrote:Without stating the obvious, are you not shifting down through all of the ultrashift range i.e. 4 cogs, rather than one?
I would be very surprised if the shifting is good on the upshift and bad on the downshift.

Not sure what you mean? I think you mean this - I am clicking it once rather than pushing it all the way across to multi shift, yet it's still jumping down four cogs or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Ok the mechanism is called an "escape" system with one click at a time for upshifts.

Yours sounds to be broken.

Campy's answer is to replace the body. This is $76 + shipping.

http://www.bikeman.com/LD8527.html

One.

Lewis

by Lewis

Thanks. Mine is the downshift that's broken. Also thinking of it, it only clicks once per downshift anyway it's not possible to 'multi downshift'. You can multi shift up through the gears but not down. I am thinking it's an internal issue with the ratchet mechanism inside which affects the downshift. Unusual how it changes down the first three/four biggest cogs ok, but then the next *click* it jumps the last few cogs all the way to the smallest ring.

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

dayne

by dayne

Sounds like shifter but you can tell by
Shifting into the biggest cog on the rear,
Backing off the derailleur cable and pulling about as much cable through the shifter then nip up on the mech,
Now you will have the excess hanging out of the shifter body,
Now tie a 1kg weight on to this cable,
if the weight cant be lifted while pedaling the bike and wont shift in to the 11 then it is the rear mech spring.
If the rear mech has the strength to lift the weight then it is shifter.

bontie

by bontie

Lewis wrote:Thanks. Mine is the downshift that's broken. Also thinking of it, it only clicks once per downshift anyway it's not possible to 'multi downshift'. You can multi shift up through the gears but not down. [snip]

Yes you can.

"EXCLUSIVE ULTRA-SHIFT™ MECHANISM: 3-sprocket upshifting, and 5-sprocket downshifting in one single stroke."

Anyhow, if one click downshift results in 4 sprocket move, there is probably something wrong.

5 8 5

by 5 8 5

bontie, Athena 11 speed is Power-shift. It was only Ultra-shift in 2010.

Lewis, it's still under warranty.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Lewis wrote:Thanks. Mine is the downshift that's broken. Also thinking of it, it only clicks once per downshift anyway it's not possible to 'multi downshift'. You can multi shift up through the gears but not down. I am thinking it's an internal issue with the ratchet mechanism inside which affects the downshift. Unusual how it changes down the first three/four biggest cogs ok, but then the next *click* it jumps the last few cogs all the way to the smallest ring.

That's an upshift. Like when you go to a higher gear. It's called upshifting.

One.