Aluminium Frames/Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

digger

by digger

Hi,
Haven't been on this forum in a very long time. Finally getting back on my bike after a long layoff.
Anyway, on to the question. Aluminium seem like its going out of fashion, however they would fit my budget for a new build - I now have to buy my own bikes.
I have been looking at CAAD 10,Canyon Ultimate AL SLX and Kinesis Aithein frames. Does anyone have experience of these frames? Are there anything else similar on the market? Carbon seems to be out of my price bracket.

Ideally like something light but robust. Always liked to ride my bikes hard. Would ideally like it to be abit of a Crit racer.
Thinking of building up with a dura ace/ultergra mix and some decent hand builts. Not exactly a weight weenies bike.

Thank you
David

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mannymerc

by mannymerc

I wouldn't consider aluminum going out of fashion, aluminum is requested by a very large group of riders, riders that can afford much more expensive bikes, anyway the caad10 is really one of the best out there, you really cant go wrong with one of those, now, be prepare to see it much more often than, lets say, any other aluminum bike out there, at least where I live.

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

The Canyon Ultimate AL SLX seems like a perfect choice with the 1220 gr frame and sub-300gr fork.

I know the german sites are a bit biased, but here's a review of the plain Ultimate AL.
http://www.tour-magazin.de/technik/test ... 30467.html

SLX is just an upgraded version of it. Would not hesitate to get one.

digger

by digger

Thank you.

yashkatsumi

by yashkatsumi

Just built up my aluminum build. Own carbon, Ti, and steel, but always ride the alu bike the most. Love the way it rides.

This is my brand new 2014 Falco Saker. It is everything I want a road race bike to be. Stiff, light, and really stable. I can't wait to start doing some fast group rides and races on it. This is the kind of bike that gets me in trouble. The bike feels so good to ride, I end up pushing myself harder than I normally would because I just want to hammer up every hill, bridge every gap...

I will put some more specs later in the gallery/intro section.

My bikes:
2014 Falco Saker
2013 Tonic Fabrications road disc
2011 Seven Axiom SL
2011 Cannondale trail sl1 UK
2009 Zanconato Team cross
2008 Bianchi Milano Cafe racer
2008 Bianchi 1885
2002 Lemond

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Wow that Falco is sweet!

mgordon

by mgordon

I just ordered a Gaulzetti Corsa to replace the last in a long line of CAAD10s - I love my aluminum rides.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

You can't go wrong with a CAAD10. I love mine. It's one of the lightest aluminum frames out there, and it's built like a tank. I'm a big dude 6ft/208lb and it feels really solid under me. Have a look at my build, link in my sig.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

CAAD 10 has BB30 which I hate. the Kinesis has a BB86 shell which superior in every way. I would go with the Kinesis damm nice bikes light stable and not expensive.

yashkatsumi

by yashkatsumi

ultyguy wrote:Wow that Falco is sweet!

Thank you! I am really happy with it so far. The finish on it is very cool, like this slightly gummy material.
My bikes:
2014 Falco Saker
2011 Seven Axiom SL
2008 Bianchi 1885
2002 Lemond

Bridgeman

by Bridgeman

Any reports on aluminium failure? The bottom bracket area failed on an aluminium frame I rode. I'm 6'3" @195lbs.

LouisN

by LouisN

Maybe one for every zillions carbon ones reported on the net....

Allez OSBB maybe ...?

Louis :)

mannymerc

by mannymerc

I would do a falco saker before a caad 10, cant wait to see full details on this one ^^^

Fatbiker

by Fatbiker

That Falco is a stunner!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yashkatsumi

by yashkatsumi

Thank you guys for the kind words. I wish I could take more pictures as it is a great looking frame, but the movers came yesterday and now it is on its way to Beijing. In about four weeks, I will build it up again and report back.

I initially wanted to buy a sub 1KG carbon frame (scott foil, tcr advanced, ridley helium) but just couldn't afford it because the import tax and luxury tax is so high in China. Then I saw my friend who is a world class triathlete riding on a Falco V. I was so impressed with it that I went to their website, spoke with the CEO, and in less than 24 hours, had the Saker frameset in my apartment.

My all time favorite frameset was the Canyon Ultimate Al. I like this frameset just as much. They ride very similar. No nonsense racing bikes.

I recently noticed that during the spring cobbled classics, some riders are choosing aluminum frames over their regular carbon bikes. Aluminum is not dead yet, and many great deals to be had if you are ok with your frame being 2-300 grams heavier.(Falco Saker, Bianchi Impulso, Felt, Giant Tcr, Caad10, allez, all under $1,000).

Also David, I was able to buy the canyon ultimate frameset at a small discount because I had a UCI racing license.

http://www.canyon.com/_en/service/sponsoring.html
My bikes:
2014 Falco Saker
2011 Seven Axiom SL
2008 Bianchi 1885
2002 Lemond