The holy grail of skewers

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Hi

I own a few different sets of skewers;

-Mavic ones which came with my Cosmic Carbone SR from 2010/11.
-Shimano Dura Ace 9000
-Weight Weenie Far Sports ones
-Weight Weenie Token ones (which look suspiciously like the Far Sports ones)

Well...

The Far Sports and Token ones died, on the front. I do a lot of sprinting and they just don't stand up to the leverage handed out to them when really going for it in the drops. The place they both went wrong was at the cup which the lever parts cams against; the leverage I handed out to them causes dents and scoring to the soft metal, and this unevenness causes creaking / cracking noises.

I currently use the Mavic skewers, and sometimes the Dura Ace ones, depending on how I feel that day, and I can go mental on them without so much as a whimper.

Well, I was thinking; does there exist anything which have been verified on here as definitely being up to punishment, which are a bit lighter than the Dura Ace / Mavic skewers, but not quite as ballerina-like at the Far Sports / Token ones...

Looking to get something a bit lighter but tough enough and thought I would ask.

Cheers

kaaos

by kaaos

Tune DC14
Tough, light and looks great.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Not sure on your specific (weight, etc) but i have some KCNC Ti skewers that have done 25,000 k and not missed a beat. I am 72kg. Also Tune make some internal cam skewers, the AC14 @ 48g which are probably what you looking for (both mavic and shimano use internal cams on their skewers, the token are external cam as are almost all weight weenie skewers)

I have also put 8,000k on some extralite streeters @ 29g and have never had squeaking loosening.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

Thanks a lot.

I am 68-69kg.

Yeah, the skewers that went arse-up were external cam indeed.

I will have a look at the skewers you mention and see what the deal is.

tinozee

by tinozee

I like the Tune AC14 best, DT and dura ace after that.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

You might want to consider these http://www.boldprecision.com/skewers.htm. They are external cam, and do not allow as fast and mindless a wheel install as Shimano or Campy internal cam, but they handle what I dish out*, and are quiet if greased (or Phil Wood Tenacious Oiled) every several thousand km. There are a fair number of threads from several years back http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/search.php?keywords=bold+precision+skewers&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

* Disclaimer: I'm not the rider I used to be**

** Actually, I never was

KB

by KB

I also like the Bold Precision, which in turn are identical to Heylight Titanium. Both work perfectly.

aaric

by aaric

I've settled on tune spin stix as a compromise. ~55g for a set, but real good clamping force. I actually prefer the screw on style for the front, as its actually quicker to get past the lawyer tabs.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

Since the front wheel doesn't see any torque you really only need the ultra-secure skewer for the rear. Use the Shimano or Mavic skewer on the rear, and a light one on the front.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

Not sure if you need quick release version, but I have the Control Tech Race-SL which are bolt-on and only 29g for the set. I'm a big dude and they feel solid. Can't comment on their durability, though, since I've only done 3 rides on them.

Rush

by Rush

Where do people grease their skewers to stop them creaking? I have KCNC Ti skewers. The rear creaks. I presume you don't grease the face of the clamp which mates with the drop out.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

jpanspac wrote:Since the front wheel doesn't see any torque you really only need the ultra-secure skewer for the rear. Use the Shimano or Mavic skewer on the rear, and a light one on the front.

Eh? The front gets a massive load of leverage applied to it when winding up a sprint; if anything, I would say the front needs to be more burly that the rear.

jpanspac

by jpanspac

No it doesn't.
My favorite components are the ones I never have to think about.

by 11.4

Hope are every bit what Dura Ace or Campy are, and a lot cheaper. And they come in colors. Very high quality engineering.

The Bold Precision are also very nice -- not as convenient, and more a creation by a CNC operator than by a cyclist, but they do work well.

In the end, skewers are like stems -- they are one of only two or three things on the bike that you absolutely positively don't want to fail. They don't have to be sexy for me. They have to be absolutely reliable. I'll save my grams or install my bling elsewhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

EvoUltimate

by EvoUltimate

Tune skewers are great.