Wahoo Kickr Calibration

A light bike doesn't replace good fitness.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Teletori

by Teletori

I have Wahoo Kickr and Power2Max crank based power meter on my bikes used on the trainer.

Tried doing different ways of spinning down the trainer to "trick" it and getting it to align to the P2M meters, but seems to always track around 10% off.
This again means that the files from Trainerroad is off, and I have to use my Garmin anyway.

Since the Kickr is Open source, I would imagine a bright mind could make a calibration app that syncs to both power meters. you would then pedal through a sequence with different power levels and a spindown, and then it could give the Kickr a calibration number so the Kickr align to the Power meter of choice.

Is this even possible?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

Are you using the TrainerRoad Kickr spin down routine to calibrate your Kickr? If not, what app are you using? When are you doing the spin down? I've found that if I use the Trainer Road Kickr spin down routine at the end of a ride, the calibration is good for a couple of weeks.

fcabot

by fcabot

A lot of the stuff that I read before I bought my KICKR said that you should calibrate it after it warms up every ride. I have PerfPro set up to do that automatically after 10 minutes into the warmup of every workout. Takes exactly 1 minute.

Teletori

by Teletori

Have done spindown after warmup, but will try after a workout, to see if that matches better.

But does your Kickr's have approx same readouts of power as your Powermeters?

nefariousintent

by nefariousintent

Why not just control the resistance usung your power meter as the strain gauge ;)
Using Tapatalk

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

First of all they are not measured at the same place (crank was basically rear wheel) so they may never match. I gave up trying to match my wahoo with my stages, but I'm generally within 5% or less and over the course of a longer workout even closer.(average)
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

AlphaDogCycling

by AlphaDogCycling

My Kickr and Quarq Cinco S976 are close. My Quarq usually reads a little high. For example for a 12 minute interval where my Kickr is set to 209 watts, my Quarg average will be 211 - 213. So about 1 - 2% difference. Well within the expected difference given the expected accuracy of the Quarq and Kickr

by 11.4

Basically the same experience here. About a 1.2% consistent variation between a calibrated SRM and the Wahoo.

I love the Wahoo. It's been stable, reliable, it stays calibrated even when I carry it around a lot, it's quiet, it's a great workout, and the data integrate with all kinds of useful apps. Overpriced, and little bits like cadence sensors are out of stock too much, but they have no equal. One of my best purchases ever.

jan erik

by jan erik

Some of the Kickrs seem to have left the factory in an uncalibrated state. In addition to the regular spinndown rutine they have to have slope&wattage recalibrated. If you have a seperate wattmeter(di2-Stages) this is an advantage..You also need an special app. Contact Wahoo for support they will gladely help you out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com