Canyon bikes on eBay...dodgy??

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Lewis

by Lewis

Has anyone else noticed how there appears to be a fair amount of brand new boxes canyons appearing on eBay with "cash only" as a payment option? Some of the sellers have good feedback and appear to have sold other high value items but it seems so suspicious to me. How would they happen upon several brand new bikes like that when you can only buy them from the factory? If you search Ebay (uk) for canyon bikes you'll see what I mean. Mostly based in Sheffield/Yorkshire too.

Discuss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

I have a load of mates in Sheffield. I can send them round to check things out if you want...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lewis

by Lewis

Well I was thinking of viewing one of the bikes but i just get a bad feeling about it and am also curious about how someone would obtain several new boxed bikes like this and simply resell them. I asked why he was selling and he simply said 'I don't need them anymore' - WTF??

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

53x12

by 53x12

Any amateur teams in that area sponsored by/or riding Canyon? Selling off excess stock of bikes no longer needed?
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

mjduct

by mjduct

Someone who would ship them to USA at a premium cause we can't get them here?

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Often when an eBay Seller does not actually have what he professes to be selling the sale description can contain a certain amount of outlandish-style text. Things like ... 'No time wasters' or 'No stupid questions' or 'Serious buyers only'. Often the quality of the English in the listing is not that good, as if written by someone whose mother-tongue is not English, like an Asian. The sale is often by a relatively new Seller with only 3 or 4 previous sales, and these tend to be high value ones in order to show credibility, ie. bogus. Often there are no deliverey prices given because the fraud is a lazy one and they have no idea how much it would actually cost to send. If you fall for the fraud and pay, they tell you something like: "Oh, I will meet you on the ASDA car park at the edge of town where I will hand over the bike" type of thing. And in the case of Canyon bikes they are factory sale only and the fraudster is perhaps not clever enough to realize this or is perhaps hoping to fool someone in North America where Canyon Bikes are not sold.

Dov

by Dov

An Asian FFS?

Is racism ok now is it?
Brooklyn Gangsta V4 with DXR
Cannondale CAAD 10 Track
Cielo Classic Sportif U8000
Cinelli Supercorsa DA9000
Colnago C64 R12
Concorde DA7800
DeRosa Nuovo Classico SR12
Eddy Mercks Corsa Extra Ch12
Felt F1 DA9050
Trek L500

Long time supporter of Rapha
Strava

weightLight

by weightLight

Nothing racist about a person 2nd language being poor, how many round eyes have poor Mandarin.

fras23

by fras23

I rang up about one, it was about 11.30 in the morning and it sounded like i'd woken him up or he was stoned. He was polite enough though.

My feeling is that they are Canyon factory outlet and they are being resold at a small profit. The reason for the cash only/phone number and auctions being pulled is just to avoid ebay fee's which you either agree with or you don't.

I thought about it and couldn't be bothered to drive to get one, i'm also not sure if/how the warranty would transfer so I ordered straight from Canyon.

irongatsby

by irongatsby

weightLight wrote:Nothing racist about a person 2nd language being poor, how many round eyes have poor Mandarin.

It's still an obtuse thing to say. It associates a certain ethnic group to this type of fraud and adds nothing to the thread.

Lewis

by Lewis

fras23 wrote:I rang up about one, it was about 11.30 in the morning and it sounded like i'd woken him up or he was stoned. He was polite enough though.

My feeling is that they are Canyon factory outlet and they are being resold at a small profit. The reason for the cash only/phone number and auctions being pulled is just to avoid ebay fee's which you either agree with or you don't.

I thought about it and couldn't be bothered to drive to get one, i'm also not sure if/how the warranty would transfer so I ordered straight from Canyon.

Ah I see. Thanks. I just wish people would be more open as I sent him a message asking why he was selling and he said he didn't need it. Wtf!

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

Lewis

by Lewis

2020 Canyon Grail AL 6.0

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

fras23 wrote:I rang up about one, it was about 11.30 in the morning and it sounded like i'd woken him up or he was stoned. He was polite enough though.

Factory Outlet? Not a chance! Best guess is its been stolen in transit, hence the cash only demand. Less chance of a trail to follow once sold.

As for the warranty. It would not be transferable. I can't think of a single bike brand I have sold that has such a facility. Warranty is offered solely to the original owner.

VeloScaper

by VeloScaper

cash only on ebay...bwahahaha

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

That's usually stolen goods..