New Garmin Edge 1000

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Hbrown

by Hbrown

I sold my 800 friday night. Picked up my 1000 saturday morning. The hardest part was returning my 800 to factory settings. all of that back up information just wiped out. It has been a flawless 3 years. I Will miss it greatly!

Upon the unboxing I lifted the lid, and there before me was a thing of beauty! Larger than I expected, who am I kidding, It is big! But when installed on the bike stem with the rubber bands it doesn't seem that big. I actually like the look. The power button takes some getting used to. The functions are all different, but somehow the same, but I am getting use to them. Its an all new learning experience.

Honestly, at first after trying to go through it, I was a little upset. It wasn't as ez as my trusted 800. Then the screen froze. I turned it off and turned it back on. Nothing worked! Then all of a sudden it worked again. Maybe I was responsible for the freeze. I was going through every file that I could find and checking every box that I saw. I synced my phone, I did the wifi, i used every screen , I made everything show. I then did the smart thing. I RESET IT! I left everything as it was set at the factory, all three sensors. (I got the bundle). I just loaded my information in it. And took my first ride with it this morning.

It was glorious !! All of the numbers and letters were clear. I found myself staring at the MPH. Just watching the numbers change. Riding with my head down on a MUP! It was hard to stop staring at all of the information. Clear and crisp! I noticed a little green as I was looking down (grass), and quickly remembered that tree's don't move, and came to my sensess.

When I got to the half way point of my ride, I sat on a bench and added more screens, along with the auto functions. That screen scroll thing is big! You miss it badly! First thing I started was that. Now I get to stare at more things crisp and clear. The little guy on the bike that you race against. Mezmorizing!! Maybe I was just lucky, I made it home, no meeting between me and a tree! No crashes into Joggers, No running over furry little critters!

I am loving this thing more and more!! Apprehension gone! Hooked it up to my computer, went to Garmin express. and found out there were 2 updates. One for the screen freeze (1 min) and one for the maps( 3 hrs). guess which one didnt get updated!

I finally Put it down a hour ago. Cant wait for my ride in the morning! The information that you get from a ride is staggering, The wifi upload works! It smokes the 800!

Oh yes, The most important thing that anyone who gets a 1000 should know. Is this. Are you ready? Because if you ignore it, it could be life changing! Ok Here goes. The 1000 comes with a tether (strap), Use it! My stem cap for my fork tube sticks up above the 1/4 turn mount, so that the 1000 rests on it. It doesn't sit as it was designed. I will cut my steerer tube eventually, just never felt like doing it. I guess I have to do it now. I Looked down after doing a nice climb, I guess my knee hit it, But it was a millimeter from being lost. I think I might have screamed a little (a manly DAG), not high pitched scream. No witnesses! My story! $600 head unit!

This thing is nice!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

used mine for the first time today too... flawless so far. Numbers are easier to read then the 810... Beeps at me when I went off course.. bluetooth drops in all the normal places (cellphone drops too ) so not unexpected in the boonies ( aka hills )
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

coppercook62

by coppercook62

I really enjoy mine. I hope they fix the lock screen bug soon. I bought the di2 transmitter. Pretty slick. My next purchase will be Brim Brother PM excited to see how that works.

Tillquist

by Tillquist

coppercook62 wrote:I really enjoy mine. I hope they fix the lock screen bug soon. I bought the di2 transmitter. Pretty slick. My next purchase will be Brim Brother PM excited to see how that works.

There is A new firmware now, version 2.3
See all my bike h e r e

2old4this

by 2old4this

I tried my friend's today. Used it this weekend for two short rides (each is about 25 miles.) First impressions
- My God this thing is big :-)
- Wait, the actual screen isn't that big from 810 ??? :-(
- The screen is much more responsive than 810 and it looks nice :-)
- Dang! The Garmin Out Front mount isn't big enough to hold this thing. Ask your friend. He says "oh yeah It comes with Extended Out Front". I have three bikes I use regularly :-(
- The Garmin remote is nice. I do not have to move my hand to the screen to get rid of "tap to go back" message. :-)
- Did they have to make the remote this big ??? :-(
- No more bike profiles. Once it learns the sensors. It automatically switches from bike to bike. Nice :-)
- The battery definitely drains faster than 810. :-(

There are small differences on the UI here and there but 1000 is very close to 810. I am not sure if I want to buy it yet.

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Tillquist wrote:
coppercook62 wrote:I really enjoy mine. I hope they fix the lock screen bug soon. I bought the di2 transmitter. Pretty slick. My next purchase will be Brim Brother PM excited to see how that works.

There is A new firmware now, version 2.3

Thanks !

coppercook62

by coppercook62

Just ordered a couple of mounts, those look sweet

aerozy

by aerozy

Hbrown glad you liked your garmin but that was perhaps a little too much information :unbelievable: Hope you used protection :thumbup:
Factor O2 Rim / Winspace 1500 Disk / Yoeleo R6 Rim / Cervelo S2 Rim

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Thanks, I always practice (ahem) safe relations. But seriously, Has anyone had problems with adding new pages to their screen? I had a severe DUH moment. All of the pages that I added did not cycle accross the screen as I rode this morning.

What I did find out was that just checking the box at the bottom of the page does not turn the page on. You have to turn on the page at the top of the screen. I didn't see it before. Because it was in grey scale. Now I am at information overload.

I had to find the battery level under the general actions. I have now added all of the actions that I had on my 800 and much more.

Now for a gripe that a few of you have brought up, but , Thanks to you people ,every time I look at my 1000, I also ask why?

WHY DIDN'T THEY MAKE THE SCREEN BIGGER!! They could have taken it right to the edge, and if not to the edge pretty close to it. I know it was probably a financial decision, but can you imagine maybe another inch of screen? The 1000 is already probably the best Bike computer out there , that would have put it in the untouchable range!

Now, just if they can work with STRAVA so that we can import STRAVA segments to the 1000. I can dream can't I?

coppercook62

by coppercook62

After downloading new firm ware the bluetooth works well

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Has anyone noticed how fast the 1000 finds new sensors? I wanted to wait for my new sensors to arrive before riding a particular bike, but I kind of missed it and decided to ride it this morning. I mounted the 1000 and went to the new sensor page and hit the find all new sensors and it found my GSC10 instantly. I am impressed.

Now as before, can Garmin and STRAVA please talk? Please find a way to download STRAVA segments. Please.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Hbrown wrote:Now as before, can Garmin and STRAVA please talk? Please find a way to download STRAVA segments. Please.

I agree.. but that is a hugemongous pill of pride Garmin would have to swallow. I have no interest in even using garmin segments..until it's more strava like.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Hbrown

by Hbrown

Just noticed the pull down page at the top of the screen. Just like a Android based phone, It shows you WIFI and Bluetooth status as well as sensors and other information. Not just the blinking icons. Another cool thing on the 1000.

The heart rate graph is especially nice, I keep it at the top of my page devoted to heart info. as well as Max percentage and other things. I can at a glance know if I am pushing to hard, or need to back off.

I am finally getting used to having to save my rides when done, I wish that it had a conformation button afterward, just in case, i hit the discard button by mistake. Can you imagine throwing away a 53 mile ride, like the one I did today, because I wasn't paying attention and accidently hit the Discard button?

I know that some of the things that I am posting about is beneath most of you, but, some, might find it interesting.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Can anyone comment on these "Cycle Maps"? Are you limited to one country/map?
How do they compare to City Navigator NT maps?

I'm still using my old Edge 705 with US and Europe maps loaded into it... is the 1000 is worth the upgrade?
As I don't own an iPhone, I'm missing out on a lot of the features (realtime tracking, call/text notifications., syncing, etc). I'm hoping to pair it with a powermeter at some point, I think both units should provide that fairly well but I'm just reading the spec sheet to derive this info.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

cwilli15

by cwilli15

HBROWN- Please keep the comments coming, I'm trying to justify an upgrade from my old 500, what you are posting is very helpful! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com