Campagnolo Zonda cracked rim

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Hello everyone, last week when I washing my bike I note this big crack in my rear campagnolo zonda 2013.
2 days before I see that, I had a incident with my jacket. It fall in my rear wheel and get in the brake caliper (not in spokes), immediately locking my wheel. So I'm thinking if this can make my rim crack or is this wheel is not for me. I have approx. 100kg and the roads here in my region isn't exactly good, some section remember me a sectour of paris roubaix, I ask this because I have a historic of parts and frames broken. I previously use another zonda for about 4 years without any trouble. Anybody already see this kind of crack in this wheels?
Said this, in your opinion the crack is cause by my incident, my weight + bad roads or just wheel?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LionelB

by LionelB

Send it back for warranty

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

If you are 100kg, then the Zonda should be quite a good choice actually for a relatovely light weight all rounder wheelset.
If the jacket catch involved in that rim crack, how did the jacket end up looking?
I assume you managed to stay upright, which is a good thing.
Talk to your dealer about it, as LionelB mentioned.

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Yes, I managed to stay upright, just let a long black line on asphalt, so much so that my first reaction was to look at the tire to see if was possible to continue my ride. The jacket survive relatively well with just some stretch lines in sleeve, I think this is because it was folded in my rear pocket.
About warranty, I live in Brazil, bought this wheel in chainreaction, so with the money I will spend to send it back and the time this will take, I think my best option was buy a reposition rim, already I know how to make the substitution and have the correct tools to make this.
But my biggest question is: I could have this trouble again? I make a graphic below to explain what I think happened, but I don't know if its possible.

Geoff

by Geoff

Yikes. That is a big crack. I still doubt that your jacket had anything to do with it, but just the same, I would not 'muddy the waters' in any warranty claim.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I was wondering how the cost of a new rim and rebuild would compare to a new wheel. Ribble only look to be selling wheels in pairs, but they do have a rear Fulcrum with Campy freehub that looks similar to a Zonda for $200.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-track-bike/wheels-factory-built-wheels-factory-clearance-fulcrum-rear-whl-racing-3-2way-fit/fulcwhcl036

Although I like Campy wheels, this does illustrate the problems of repairing them.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

marcio riva

by marcio riva

rim cost 138 USD, shipping cost 54 USD rebuild cost 0, just my time to do that.

BRM

by BRM

1] Don't mention weight or other issues when you bring it in for warranty.
You did nothing abnormal, issue was there out of nowhere/unexpectedly without a known cause.

2] Sending back to UK is expensive but Campagnolo has worldwide service centers. Also in Brazil. Think in this case that will be the better route.
look on the Service pages.
http://www.campagnolo.com/jsp/en/service/index.jsp

Maybe first contact Chainreaction and ask them if they can arrange for you to send it in to the Service centre in Brazil. (You have a legal contract with the shop and not with Campagnolo. The shop has much more obligations to you than Campa. Therefore the shop is the first point you contact when having issues)

3] Although there are people with your weight using Zonda's without problems its not a recommended wheelset for your weight. For your weight and conditions (bad roads) A wheelset with more spokes in it will suit you better.

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Some updates.
My new rim arrived and I dismounted the wheel.
Here are some pics with the weight of the parts.

And suprise!!
The new rim is about 40g heavier then the old one.

BRM

by BRM

So you did nothin with warranty? or was it expired?

The 40 gr increase is maybe because its 2way fit rim vs clincher only?

marcio riva

by marcio riva

No this is the clincher only, 2 way fit is more expensive.
I buy a new rim because I think this is more fast and cause me less trouble.

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Big surprise 2!!
The new rim is heavier, have a much rough finish and is MADE IN CHINA!!
I thought I'd never see this on a campagnolo label.

kavitator

by kavitator

wake up people :)

good weight - almost same as fulcrums 1 /shamals
i weight rear at 480g

marcio riva

by marcio riva

Hi people, I still sufrering of the same problem with this zonda wheelset. The first replacement rim cracked and now the second replacement too, both exactly the same way, so this is third cracked rim. Every time a assembly the wheel with the same spoke tension that I measured before I replace the first rim, even a litle lower to try prevent this problem. What to do now, buy a new zonda c-17, try a fourth rim, buy other wheel model/brand. I realy like campagnolo hubs/bearings, but now I dont know what to do.

wwnick

by wwnick

I think you might have some faulty scales. even if you are 100kg, add to that, rough roads on a wheelset that ways 1.5kg, really, what do you expect.
100kg, how tall are you, 210cm? probably not, so you should loose some weight. it's the best thing you could do for your wheels, cycling and life. i say this as an earnest gesture of goodwill.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com