chinese carbon saddles

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chris47

by chris47

I am looking for a new saddle, as my current one weighs the same as a ship anchor. :(
idealy it would be similiar to a selle italia slr.
so far i have found these.

I found all of these on aliexpresss, and they all cost around $30

I dont think that they will snap, or crack beneath me, as i only weigh 43kg

Do you guys have any experiences with such saddles. Are there any that are particularly good?

thank you

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stuka666

by stuka666

You weigh 43 kg?

They are ok for the price.

Martin.F

by Martin.F

They will be pretty damn hard to sit on, thats for sure. Your 43 kg's wont be able to flex them enough to get any comfort.

chris47

by chris47

yeah, that is a good point.
maybe i should opt for one with a cut out, so it will be esier to flex under my weight

MTB2223

by MTB2223

I bought this one recently. It's not carbon, but light (142 gr) and gives some comfort.

Marin

by Marin

I had one of these Chinese carbon ones. It didn't flex at all, and I'm close to 80 kg. A stripped SLR is much more comfortable.

AdyM

by AdyM

I bought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-FIT-3K-Fu ... 1c3ad7b156

But when it was at £30, not £40. It is pretty comfortable if you set it up properly, it just had a real sweet spot, but anywhere away from that I found it pretty bad. For off road it was fine but on road transfers I got uncomfortable pretty quickly. So I would recommend for long periods in the saddle.

Also at 43kg, you aren't going to flex any saddle!

kingkongsfinger

by kingkongsfinger

I weight 77 kg, snapped mine in a MTB XC race, had to retire, not worth it.
"I could have done this job myself in five minutes, but as things turned out I had to spend two days trying to find out why it had taken someone else three weeks to do it wrong."

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Don't do it man, I rode a carbon saddle on the road, a cheap Chinese one and a super duper fizik whatever they called it. Couldn't get comfy on either and the small frequency vibrations are numbing! It'd be horrific on a mountain bike in my opinion... Go get yourself a genuine SLR. No regrets
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

Or get a Smud saddle. I've been riding the same saddle last season and this season. So far so good. The shape is fine for me (like a Speedneedle).

FireSpitter

by FireSpitter

I can't agree on the Smud. Dealing with Piotr was a real pain in the ass (literally) and the saddle, although is a fine work of art, was horrendously uncomfortable to my bum.

During the 9 months that I was waiting for Smud to be repaired (Yes, 9 bloody months), I bought a Specialized Toupe and it felt really great. Out of curiousity, I gotten a Chinese made full carbon Toupe, and I actually liked it much more than the original padded one! And oh by the way, I weigh 83kgs.
Please visit my blogs:-

I'm a MILF - er blog (Help raise awareness!) http://firespitter38.blogspot.com

True tales from the dark side http://truetalesfromthedarkside.blogspot.com

the_marsbar

by the_marsbar

My point is, if the Speedneedle shape works for you, then the Smud will be great. Otherwise, probably not. I have ridden XCMs with it without any problems. My bike is more about going that showing :)

AdyM

by AdyM

MTB2223 and news on the saddle? How are you getting on with it, I'm quite interested in getting one, they are so cheap too!

Estuche

by Estuche

AdyM wrote:MTB2223 and news on the saddle? How are you getting on with it, I'm quite interested in getting one, they are so cheap too!

I'd like to hear about this too. Hylix seems like a legit chinese brand.

kauphy

by kauphy

I ordered a Hylix version of the Toupe. It's on the way right now and I'm looking forward to giving it a go.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com