Alchemy Hub Recall -- Stop using every ORC-UL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

Like Ergott, we've had quite a few people asking about which hubs to choose as a replacement and we're making a couple of suggestions.

I've discussed the T11 as an option with a couple of people and in most cases users are hesitant to not only take a 60 gram weight penalty, but also at the same time accept a hub which is $120 less without a refund for the difference.

Most of our customers have gone with either DT240 or Tune. Those who are chasing grams have generally gone for the Tune which is about 20 grams lighter than the UL and close in price. Those just after a reliable everyday hub have tended to go with the 240 which can have it's decal removed to match the front hub pretty nicely and when mixed with the SL ratchet the weight of DT is within 10 grams of the UL weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

^Thanks good info. You described my situation...not going to accept a White T11, if I'm not going to get my $150 premium I paid for the Alchemy back ever.

So, a Tune 170, or the DT240s. I already have a Tune 170 on my other set of race wheels in black. So, kind of either going with DT240s or the Tune 170 as a comparable/light hub.

All of my hubs were bought through Fairwheel. But, local builder did the work. So Alchemy/Jeremy says they would like to talk directly with the builder to work out the details of replacement and rebuilding the wheel.

ergott

by ergott

I think it's wiser to choose components by what works best for you, not by price.

asv

by asv

I sent my Enve 3.4 Alchemy ORC-UL back to Alchemy when they thought it would just be a fix. Now that its a swap, I opted for a Tune 170 hub since its probably the closest in terms of spec, and I already have a tune/pacenti build that @ergott did for me. It looks like its going to be awhile for the tune hub to come in, but I'm happy ride my pacentis for nows.

I hope Alchemy continues to make hubs, I never had an issue and I really like their product. Their customer service is obviously second to none when you see how they are resolving this issue compared to others in the industry.

drmutley

by drmutley

Grrrrr I've just bought a set of secondhand ENVE 6.7s with Alchemy hubs... Arrggghhhh!

Rush

by Rush

Check it is an ORC-UL, not an older ORC. The recall only applies to the later UL model.

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

So far Jeremy has been very responsive and trying to work with my builder to sort all of this out. Although it is a hassle and I haven't had wheels for awhile to ride for training, the fact they are footing the bill to cover the costs to replace/rebuild the wheel is commendable.

I'm going with a DT240s hub along with my CXRays. Hopefully I will get the wheel back in the next few weeks to ride/test out and move on with my life.

mambo
in the industry

by mambo

Is Alchemy covering the cost of the wheel being re-built as well?
Owner Cicli Schiavona - hand made, custom Italian carbon frames at prices you won't believe!

www.ciclischiavona.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cicli-Sc ... 8745538716

Nebby

by Nebby

From some of the posts on another forum it looks like they'll cover up to $60 of the labor cost to rebuild it. I do have to say I haven't seen that email myself, so I don't want to state it as fact...

twoyacks

by twoyacks

WOW....and here I've been lamenting owning the older version of this hub. Now I'm not so disappointed,

KWalker

by KWalker

I chose the WI not based on price or b/s weight savings, but because it will build a (marginally) stiffer, better performing wheel. The Tune hubs save weight in some places that don't necessarily make sense (to me) and do not build a better performing wheel.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

tjwallace

by tjwallace

Has anyone gone with the Chris King hub for a replacement? It was recommended to me by my local builder.

KWalker

by KWalker

I see no reason to use a King over any other option. Geometry isn't that great, its fairly heavy, and has a lot of seal drag due to the bearing choice/size. Maybe I'm full of shit, but my wheels that were built with Kings always seemed a bit "slower" and the end product, despite using several different spoke patterns and types, never built all that great of a wheel.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mythical

by mythical

My experience with CK rearhubs dates back to 1997. The postman delivered the package and within 15 minutes we had it apart. I parted with CK hubs long ago (in the previous millennium) because I suddenly found myself without propulsion as the RingDrive didn't engage. Sure, it was cold but no excuse. Seal drag has been a problem since the beginning. I don't know what has been done to improve the hubs since then, but they gained a lot of popularity. No doubt CK's finish is very high but their engineering isn't the most cutting edge.

When I read that all ORC-UL hubs got recalled, my world was shook. Knowing Jeremy personally, and toying with hub ideas back in '07, I thought his stuff was bulletproof. I sincerely hope he has this engineering issue eliminated real soon and may he then have production and sales increase significantly to vindicate this setback.
Viva Alchemy Bicycle Works! :beerchug:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

Zigmeister

by Zigmeister

Nebby wrote:From some of the posts on another forum it looks like they'll cover up to $60 of the labor cost to rebuild it. I do have to say I haven't seen that email myself, so I don't want to state it as fact...

I think if you have a local builder, he is working the details out with the builder. Cost to ship parts/purchase etc..

The dream is I asked for a specific hub, dropped my wheel off with the builder, and I will magically get a phone call that the wheel is ready to pickup.

We will see.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com