Oahu Riding

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

musanoadsaba

by musanoadsaba

I have done some searching, and couldn't find much on Oahu road rides. I will likely talk to one of the shops out there, but I wouldn't mind some weenie input. I will be on the west side of the island for 10 days. Are there any areas to stay away from, any must do's...? Thanks.
mur

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

range
Shop Owner

by range

Hi,
That will be a great trip. You can ask Frayed Laces about tips. She's a budding triathlete and she lives there.
Range || range.wordpress.com
Asterisk*Cycles
'10 Velocite Millennium Elite SRAM Red
'11 Velocite Geos w SRAM Red || '08 Giant Anthem X0 w SRAM X0 || '93 Pinarello w Shimano 105

petepeterson

by petepeterson

OK I am going to Oahu in a few weeks for a wedding. Want to take my bike and ride. Any recommendations? I know Maui is better but I have no choince on this one....

musanoadsaba

by musanoadsaba

Best ride I did there was the loop starting in Waikiki, going clockwise over the pass, south along the coast and back to the beach.
mur

kya

by kya

If you're renting a car, I'd say you should just drive to Haleiwa (north shore) and ride east from there along the north shore. It's pretty much just one country road for a good 35+ miles which makes for a nice out and back ride along the more scenic side of the island without having to worry about getting "lost". Be sure to stop at one of the many shrimp trucks/stands along the north shore for lunch.

If you want some nice views and don't mind a little cyclocross action (it's doable on a road bike), you can instead go west from Haleiwa to Kaena Point (the western tip of the island). However, Kaena Point is not paved, it's mostly dirt and gravel. This can be made into a 60ish mile ride if you do a loop coming back up through central Oahu.

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Riding on the North Shore can get pretty hairy with only one lane on each side for traffic along King Kamehameha Hwy. The roads are also not as properly maintaind as the Waikiki area.. A ride up Diamond Head and around the right side of the Island will probably be nicer in terms of scenery.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

kya

by kya

I've had FAR more close calls in the Waikiki area than the north shore, and I do ride both pretty regularly. There is just a whole lot more traffic in general around Waikiki. True that "the right side of the island" (Hawaii Kai) would likely be safer as there is a good bike lane the whole way, but there's a million stop lights and the scenery consists houses for most of the way.

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Thanks all.

Anyone know anything about the climbs from the north shore?

There looks to be some nice roads from google earth but most seem to be restricted access only for military use?

Mt. Ka'ala Road looks AMAZING.
Same with Kaena Point Satelite station road.

And then there's this one.

http://www.strava.com/segments/2668522

There also appear to be some roads up Kaumala Ridge... anyone done any of this?

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

Wow, that does look nice though judging by the military installations nearby, I'd be a bit cautious on leaving my car parked around the area. If you do go and are able to successfully ride these climbs, let me know. I'm heading there in September.
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

musanoadsaba

by musanoadsaba

Petepeterson:

Please give us all a review when you get back. It would be great to know what is ridable and where/why not to go.
mur