Good, light weight 29er brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning mountain bikes & parts.

Moderator: Moderator Team

muntos

by muntos

Hi,

I'm searching for a lightweight set of brakes for my 29er XC race bike and I'm wondering if somebody has some experience with the 2013-2014 brakes from Avid.
I'm tempted with some Avid XX World Cup brakes (2014 - http://r2-bike.com/SRAM-XX-Disc-Brake-W ... -from-180g ) but I can't find any newer reviews, only some older about the model before 2013 (I know that there are some big differences between models before and after 2013), and almost all are negative.
I have some experiences with Avid X0 2013 brakes and I'm quite satisfied with them.

So, what light brakes would you recommend ?
One aspect that I want to point is that I like more the feel and look of the Avid, Shimano levers over the Magura, Hope style of levers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

N.T

by N.T

Formula R1 race
Fuelled by kofein

jimborello

by jimborello

There are few people that would give a positive review of the Avid brakes, most of the people I know hated them, including mechanics ja. Ive tried Magura MT8, Formula R1 Racing and the newer shimano xtr brakes, and I think the formulas and XTRs are by far the best.

muntos

by muntos

Thanks, Formula R1 Racing 2014 looks good on paper, the weight is awesome, not sure about the polish finish if it matches with my bike..

stuka666

by stuka666

I have R1 Racing, really like them, would only change for the new ones.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cws196

by cws196

Formula R1 - I love these brakes (and my Formula T1). Light, powerful and importantly when things wear out/fail (which happens to ALL brakes) you can buy all the parts......unlike Shimano.