Lightest Road Wheels

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zoro

by Zoro

TheDarkInstall wrote:Well, 'race ready' is an entirely subjective concept, isn't it...
As is Lightest Road Wheel

I did try to reduce the subjectivity in my original post:"(50+ profile, 25mm wide, 25mm tyre, glue, skewers, freewheel)"

Maybe implied/maybe not but I would want any "Lightest Road Wheel" to be able to be approved for / pass inspection for UCI Road Races and be safe and relatively "good" enough to really race on.

A bit more blabbering on...the concept of the whole system being judged is something I find more valuable than looking at components that require compensation someplace else. Specific example with these Mercury M5s/25mm rims: A few teammates were saying the M5s were too fragile and they were breaking/denting them. I asked what tyres they were using and all were using something smaller than a 25mm. At least for RR a tyre should be as wide as the rim.

I remember Hi-E in the late 70's http://www.classicrendezvous.com/USA/Hi_E.htm had a sub 200g alloy rim we were debating building and determined none of us would be willing to use it. So we hung it on the wall. It was very cool. Lightest alloy rim I know of to date. But unlike the SRT24s it needed more spokes, so it would not have built the lightest wheels. Hi-E had some 80g front hubs at the time that were 36 hole.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zoro

by Zoro

TheDarkInstall wrote:Is there not a set list of wheels approved by the UCI?
Yes. There is not a "set list" of wheels approved by UCI. It represents a fraction of UCI legal wheels - my guess is 10%.

In most cases it would not have the Lightest Road Wheels on it. The SRT 24 is not on it.

UCI specifies rules about material and profile etc for wheels to be used (not so subjective). Then they have the list for exceptions to those rules. The SRT24s meet the rules, so they are not on the list. The M5s are on the list as they do not meet the general profile rules. The older Reynolds RZR 42s (non team) do not meet the rules and are not on the list and therefore may not be used in UCI races.

I submit to be called the Lightest Road Wheel, a wheel must be acceptable for UCI events (meet rules or on list).

Then I like the properly glued tyre not less than the rim braking area width, skewers, cassette.

Here is a new "production" set at 780g http://www.extralite.com/Products/HyperClimb%20A24.htm

Zoro

by Zoro

TheDarkInstall wrote:Do you work for / are sponsored by Mercury wheels?

We are moving teams, so no more.
So what do I really think? Mercury are the best for the money wheels you can buy. We will un-badge them and use them next year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiFi_F3 ... e=youtu.be

DennyCrane

by DennyCrane

I realize that I am resurrecting a 9 month old discussion, but I think it's still relevant.

Zoro - were you able to "un-badge" the M5s? I read that the logo was under the clearcoat.

As for the lightest wheels, I think the discussion ignores two important considerations:
1. Where is the weight located? Rotational weight has a greater effect than absolute weight. If the weight were mostly in the hub it would be a faster wheel than a wheel of equal weight but comprised of a steel rim on a very light titanium hub.
2. Do I really want to be going downhill at 40 MPH on the absolutely lightest Chinese wheel?

Thanks (to all) for an interesting discussion. It is very helpful as I approach buying my first set of carbon wheels.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

So what are the light productn road rims today.

Zoro

by Zoro

DennyCrane wrote:I realize that I am resurrecting a 9 month old discussion, but I think it's still relevant.

Zoro - were you able to "un-badge" the M5s? I read that the logo was under the clearcoat.

As for the lightest wheels, I think the discussion ignores two important considerations:
1. Where is the weight located? Rotational weight has a greater effect than absolute weight. If the weight were mostly in the hub it would be a faster wheel than a wheel of equal weight but comprised of a steel rim on a very light titanium hub.
2. Do I really want to be going downhill at 40 MPH on the absolutely lightest Chinese wheel?

Thanks (to all) for an interesting discussion. It is very helpful as I approach buying my first set of carbon wheels.

Acetone un-badges them just fine, the decal is over the clearcoat. We left the badges on except on side of each wheel has one of the 3 missing - as they got smudged in glue cleanup.

To 1: Most of the weight is in the rim/tyre. Most of the savings are in the hub/cassette. But the Rims are very light 330-360g - 50mm/25 wide. Tyres were 180g 24mm, but I went back to the (normal) silk 25mm FMBs at 250g not the custom ones Francois made me at 220g. Still it is the hubs and cassette that get the weight really down. I understand the rim weight matters more. The rim is just real light, the hubs and cassette - lighter yet.

To 2: On these - Yes. The rims are made in Taiwan near where our S-WORKS Venge and our MASI was made. This is great stuff and I don't buy cheap stuff, I buy the best lightest stuff. I have ENVE SES bars, Extralite stems and hubs, S-WORK Venge and Tarmac (Pro), MASI and FELT and Cannondale and Campy and both generations Di2. This is on par with that. I also put my child on them. His Garmin said 57MPH on Laguna Seca raceway where they were used to win both the Sea Otter circuit race and the road race. This is the same rim brand are what the 2014 USA pro road champion used (see link above).
Last edited by Zoro on Sun May 17, 2015 11:02 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Zoro

by Zoro

bm0p700f wrote:So what are the light productn road rims today.
I have not seen lighter than the ax-lightness SRT-24. But they are for special use, not general racing.

This thread is about the entire wheel - rim, tyre, skewers, glue, cassette.