The wheelbuilding thread

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
eric

by eric

Asymptotic wrote: And what do people consider an acceptable tolerance vertically?

If it's annoying you when you ride, it's too much.
0.6-0.8mm is probably not that noticeable. 2mm would be.

Smokster

by Smokster

So I pulled the trigger on getting a set of carbon rims from good ol China and hoping they arrive tomorrow. 32 hole rear (to fit power tap) and 24 hole front. Planning on using thm for both road and the tt bike.

Anyhows, I'm now in the process of sorting the build and hence purchasing a front hub and spokes.

I'm thinking of this hub for the front: http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUOOLF/on- ... etrack-hub Seems very cheap! Any thoughts!?

With regard to spokes I'm thinking of going for CX Ray spokes. Cheapest I can find are @ £1.99/spoke - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSSACXR/sapim-cx-ray-spoke - although they don't appear to have a good range of length.

Does anyone know what spoke length I would need for both the rear and the front given the rims are 50mm deep, the front has the above hub and the rear will have a cycleops powertap?

Appreciate any thoughts guys!

Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eric

by eric

That front hub is cheap all right. But that's all that is going for it. It's heavy, large and has no QR.

Why are you getting a cheap inappropriate front hub and then using expensive bladed spokes? Makes no sense. Round Sapims cost 1/3 what the CXrays cost.

To get the spoke lengths you need the ERD of the rims and the diameters (@ the spoke holes) and spacing of the hub flanges. Then you plug the values into spokcalc or DTs on line calculator. It's best to measure the ERD yourself just to be sure.

TheDarkInstall

by TheDarkInstall

-Measure the ERD yourself.
-Choose hubs. Get dimensions from manufacturer, or measure yourself.
-Decide lacing patterns
-Put all data in online spoke calculator

Job done

Smokster

by Smokster

Thanks both.

As to hub choice...being a bit uninformed at bike stuff, was led to believe negligible gains would be achieved by going above that hub in terms of spec. I'm thinking that may be BS though!? What about this one - http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/HUPXPRO/planet-x-pro-hub - would you guys say it is more 'appropriate' for a set of aero spoke?

Cheers.

eric

by eric

Those hubs are appropriate for road wheels. No one builds road wheels with high flange track hubs anymore. It'd be extra silly for aero wheels.

The specs they give for those road hubs re: flange diameter etc are what you need (along with rim ERD) to calculate spoke length. Nipple washers are probably a good idea. If you're using Sapim nipples then you'd use Sapim Poly-axe washers.

To measure ERD cut the elbows off two straight spokes and cut the spokes to exactly a nice round length like 200mm or 250mm. Thread on nipples until the spoke is flush with the bottom of the slot. I use thread locker on the nipples. To measure ERD put your measuring spokes in opposing holes and measure the distance between the ends, adding or subtracting from the total length of both spokes as appropriate.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ignore hop at the weld because its at the weld. Truing that out will lead to uneven tension which is bad. If the rim is not reasonably round when tensions are even you have a bad rim never try to true the hop out. It needs to be 2mm out to be really bad. anything less than 1mm will not even be noticeable when riding.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

I have a stupid question that is a bit off-topic, but don't want to make a new thread just for it. Will a 42mm valve length work on a 34mm rim, specifically the November Rail 34?

thprice

by thprice

MNX1024 wrote:I have a stupid question that is a bit off-topic, but don't want to make a new thread just for it. Will a 42mm valve length work on a 34mm rim, specifically the November Rail 34?

Will most likely need 60mm valve length for 34mm rims.

pushstart

by pushstart

MNX1024 wrote:I have a stupid question that is a bit off-topic, but don't want to make a new thread just for it. Will a 42mm valve length work on a 34mm rim, specifically the November Rail 34?

Yeah, probably not, but may depend on your pump. The threaded Lezyne pump heads, for example, don't require much valve stem. Just make sure your portable pumps/co2 heads won't leave you stranded!

For reference, I used a 60mm stem on my 50mm rims and could only use my threaded pump heads. I use 60mm stems on my 45mm rims now quite comfortably.

Marin

by Marin

BTW; if you are using valve extensions and a Lezyne/threaded head pump, make sure your extensions have theads at the end - some of the non-removable valve types don't, which means you don't have to carry your pump since it won't work anyway :(

pushstart

by pushstart

Good point. And if they screw in at the core, you might want to Loctite them too!

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Now you guys are just bringing in more things I did not think of, haha. Thank god I didn't place my order yet.

So damn hard to find light tubes with long valve stems that aren't expensive. Talking about light tubes, anyone got recommendations? Also, how are Vittoria Ultralite's?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

conti supersonic's are pretty reliable but I have taken to using Vittoria latex tubes.

Marin

by Marin

I ride Panaracer r'air (which don't have removable valve cores...), since they roll as good as latex but still hold air for more than 3 hours.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com