CX1 vs WifLi

The spirit of Grav-lo-cross. No but seriously, cyclocross and gravel go here!

Moderator: Moderator Team

weenie

by weenie

I'm tempted to get a SRAM CX1 rear derailleur (220usd) + a 11-32 PG1170 cassette with my dual ring so that I can switch to full CX1 later if i feel like it vs getting a WifLi rear derailleur (120usd) + the same cassette

basically theres a 100bucks diff. im also suspecting the cx1 shifts better.

Anyone knows if that combination works properly or if the CX1 will require a single ring/not work with the crossing?

(basically i suspect that if this doesnt work with the XX1/X01/X1 it doesnt work with the CX1 either, but I havent found anyone trying that)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jooo

by jooo

Are you trying to say you'd use a CX1 RD with a double front chainring?

It doesn't work like that. The RD is not designed to handle such a large amount of chain movement, single ring only!

Marin

by Marin

It will probably work fine, but the chain will not be properly tensioned when running anal/small.

jooo

by jooo

So you won't have proper chain tension but you think that it will be fine :hmm:
People have tried this when XX1 came out and it doesn't work properly, simple as that.

This picture is a reasonable explanation of how the cage moves:

grover

by grover

As said, the horizontal movement of XX1/X01/X1/CX1 derailleurs prohibit the use of more than one chainring. They rely on correct chain length for the chainring size to position the cage correctly in order to shift. Think about what would happen to the offset upper pulley if the chain was too long (pulley would touch cassette) or too short ( large gap to cassette).

If you want to use a dual ring setup now and potentially swap to a single ring setup later I'd suggest a standard type 2 rear derailleur (X.0 or X.9). The short cage will accomodate a 31 tooth spread (so 36/46 ring with 11-32 casette). You'll need to use the medium cage version if you want larger than a 10 tooth spread between your chainrings with an 11-32 cassette.

Type 2 mtb derailleurs will work with 10 or 11 speed road shifters. They add the extra chain retention of a strong cage spring (with cage lock). They don't have a barrell adjuster so you have to use inline adjusters. Prior to CX1 realease I used this setup with a narrow/wide single chainring and experiences zero chaindrops for the season.

The only issue with using a mtb derailleur is that they are designed for a minimum of 32 tooth large cog on the cassette. If you ever wanted to use smaller say 26 or 28 you may struggle to get the jockey wheels close enough to the cassette which will cause poor shifting.

weenie

by weenie

Thanks for the detailled explanations!

voodoojar

by voodoojar

weenie wrote:...vs getting a WifLi rear derailleur (120usd)...

May I ask where you're getting wifli RD for $120? is that for a Force?

vcnz

by vcnz

I would get the WifLi RD
You save money and weight at the same time... which is something that doesn't happen very often :thumbup:

Spinlikemad

by Spinlikemad

I just converted my cross rig from a 2x10 with Rival WiFli to a 1x10 with the CX1 chainring, rear der, SRAM 1070 chain and cassette. I am really impressed with the improvement in shifting and the total silence of the drivetrain. Shifting with my prior setup was decent, but the shifting with CX1 is flawless.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weenie

by weenie

voodoojar wrote:
weenie wrote:...vs getting a WifLi rear derailleur (120usd)...

May I ask where you're getting wifli RD for $120? is that for a Force?

yes, sorry didnt notice the msg. 115 in fact
competitive cyclist, force 22 wifli med cage