Removing Faceplate from Di2 "Climbing" Shifter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jbrandt

by jbrandt

Anyone else see the hack Sky did to Froome's Di2 satellite/climbing shifter. Looks pretty clean, less bulky, and there has to be some weight savings. Has anyone on this forum tried this? I might give it a go. http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/pro-bike-chris-froomes-pinarello-dogma-f8/309986

jbrandt

by jbrandt

I also wonder how weather-proof this option is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aaric

by aaric

Couldn't you just mount a set of sprint shifters in the same area instead? I've also heard some people can reach the sprint buttons in the drops with their pinkies from the tops...

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

it looks like it would not be very weather proof. i use sprint shifters instead. however, the placement of the sprint shifters only allow limited placement due to the length of the wires (use of pinkies or other smaller fingers for shifting versus the thumb)

the climbing shifter provides better placement options.

Dammit

by Dammit

I got the climbing/Pave shifter so I could guarantee hitting the button in bulky winter gloves- i.e. that the shifter resembles nothing so more as two doorbells side by side is a positive advantage.

TedStriker

by TedStriker

Dammit wrote:I got the climbing/Pave shifter so I could guarantee hitting the button in bulky winter gloves- i.e. that the shifter resembles nothing so more as two doorbells side by side is a positive advantage.

Yup!

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Saves 1 gram by removing faceplate and is running a k-edge, the heaviest out front garmin mount? I don't get the sky mechanics.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

grover

by grover

His bike is 6.82 with a c35mm front wheel and c50mm rear wheel. Surely on a climbing stage he'll be running c24 front/rear, or at least c35 front/rear. No way he'll run the c50. That change alone will have him under 6.8. There has to be another reason for removing the cover.

Carrots

by Carrots

aaric wrote:Couldn't you just mount a set of sprint shifters in the same area instead? I've also heard some people can reach the sprint buttons in the drops with their pinkies from the tops...

Friend of mine has this on her Propel. Sprint shifters are glued onto the underside of the flats of the bars. Brilliant idea and location really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rma

by rma

Carrots wrote:
aaric wrote:Couldn't you just mount a set of sprint shifters in the same area instead? I've also heard some people can reach the sprint buttons in the drops with their pinkies from the tops...

Friend of mine has this on her Propel. Sprint shifters are glued onto the underside of the flats of the bars. Brilliant idea and location really.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That works and is great (in my opinion). You place the sprint shifters on either side, in a calculated position so that you can shift without even moving your hands.... I might go down that road

spandexboy817

by spandexboy817

he must use the k-edge mount because it is so secure and he cannot live without looking at his stem. I hope you are ready to waste/enjoy/laugh for the next 20 minutes of your life. http://chrisfroomelookingatstems.tumblr.com/

petal666

by petal666

Do you think lookingatstem and not the road caused his crash the other day?

RobyDogma

by RobyDogma

Have done it on my dogma with 7950 di2, works great!

/Roberto
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Attachments
ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1402900650.613502.jpg

kode54

by kode54

that's a better place to put it rather than have climbing and sprinter switches. good tip. plan on moving mine when i redo the handlebar tape.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

2old4this

by 2old4this

I thought I was the only one. :-)
I just hated how bulky was the 600. Removed the faceplate and painted the white plastic with a little black spray paint. I think it even opens up a little space for the garmin's remote :-)