Cannondale SiSL2, Speedplay Zero Ti, Q-Factor, and Washers.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

I have a Rotor 3D+ crankset on one bike and just got the Cannondale Hollowgram SiSL2 for another. The difference in Q-factor is 6mm. I have two sets of Speedplay Zero Ti pedals.

My question is: Could I safely use 3mm of pedal washers on each Zero Ti pedal on the Hollowgram crank? Anyone have any advice/experience? I know I could just use the 3mm longer spindles on the Zero Stainless Steel pedals, but would prefer not to if I don't have to.

I also measured the length of the threaded portion of the pedals and it came out to 13mm.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Would it not be easier to move the cleat sideways 3mm?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Or buy some longer Ti spindles?

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

Moving the cleat doesn't solve the q-factor discrepancy when moving from bike to bike.

I was trying to avoid spending further money but longer ti spindles might have to be the solution if no one chimes in and says they've seen 3mm of washers be safely used. Any recommendations anyone?

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I wouldn't use washers in that area. The stress factor of the Ti-spindle has got to be very high there and washers will only give you less contact to the arm with threads. Go longer spindles and you don't have to think about safety issues. I have longer ti-spindles and only weigh 130lbs but I think they have a limit of 180lbs direct from Speedplay, you might want to check on that.

DCnoJ

by DCnoJ

Did you get longer Ti spindles from Speedplay? My understanding is that they only provide different length spindles in stainless steal and custom Ti lengths are only available as third party.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

http://www.titaniumspindles.com/
I would contact them. With the stronger titanium that they have, they can probably help you out. Calling them works better. Search around here and you will find more about them. I have purchased several spindles from them in the past. Never had an issue with product or customer support.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I bought mine second hand from somebody on a forum moving to mtn bikes. They were barley used and they said they ordered them direct from a speedplay dealer with the longer axels. It doesn't matter where you get the longer axels as they will be to the same spec and work fine. Actually the needle bearings didn't last as long as the axels and I have since replaced the zero-ti to the zero-ss body on the ti axels and it is a much stronger combo.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com