Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

53x12

by 53x12

No, not CS. I believe that picture was taken from a shop in UT.

Maybe just me, but running Di2 on the AR just makes things look "right" to me.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

aaric

by aaric

Ok, got my FRD frameset - groupset should be here tomorrow. However, I'm looking at the small parts, and there's two relatively thin, long (20mm ish) red anodized bolts that I can't figure out what they are for :noidea: pretty sure they came in the same bag as the valve extenders.

Anyone know?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I was wondering that today too. Are they the ones that use the o rings?

aaric

by aaric

Nope... the ones with o rings are valve extensions. I got a reply from superdave on another forum: They are plugs for the external di2/eps bolts.

53x12

by 53x12

Those of you that have now have had a decent amount of saddle time on the AR, how does it climb? Not going to use this as a climbing bike, but curious about rolling terrain or short steep climbs that I typically deal with.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Mize

by Mize

I rode the ar1 all over the Athens GA area and find it climbs better than my SL3 Tarmac. Descends like a frickin jet fighter :)

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

53x12

by 53x12

Nice. That is what I like to hear. Thanks.

Also, any WW reviews of the AR FRD?

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

Definitely climbs better than any other bike I have ridden. I know it's all very subjective depending on personal fitness levels etc, but today I did 61 miles with 4000ft of ascent at 18.5mph. I set personal best times up every climb on my route and I've been climbing those hills for years.

Thanks for the heads up on the Di2 bolts. I swapped them with the ones that were in the frame out of the box and I've saved 2 grammes! Magic!!

53x12

by 53x12

Yeah climbing performance is very subjective, but it seems it is definitely up to the task. Very good.

Well, I think I will be waiting for the '15 models to start hitting Felt inventory later this summer/early fall. Will give me a chance to decide between the AR1 or FRD frame set. The heart says FRD, but I think the frontal lobe is telling me AR1.

commfire

by commfire

Any changes to the FRD framests for 2015? love to see a bit more color

53x12

by 53x12

^ Not sure we will know anything until around Eurobike time unless something is leaked.

Just my opinion, but the FRD is perfect as it is looks wise although that weave takes some getting use to.

JasperGr

by JasperGr

Color is weight, right?;)

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met behulp van Tapatalk

integroid

by integroid

53x12 wrote:Those of you that have now have had a decent amount of saddle time on the AR, how does it climb? Not going to use this as a climbing bike, but curious about rolling terrain or short steep climbs that I typically deal with.

I have been riding my AR1 since January and it climbs better than my S-works Venge and Felt FC1 that the AR1 replaced. Honestly I have kept my S-works Venge because I couldnt find a faster bike until I got the AR1. Will probably sell the Venge this summer. The new AR1 is the fastest road bike I have owned to date. It is also very comfortable compared to other aero bikes and climbs just as good as any non aero bike I have been on. I typically get a new bike every season from whatever team I am on from the last 10 years.

aaric

by aaric

The FRD weave definitely grows on you. It isn't nearly as obvious as the pictures make it out to be IMO.

It's pretty muted until the light hits it at the right angle, then it looks a bit NASCAR-ish IMO. All the pictures are well lit, so the weave is pretty obvious. Or maybe I'm just getting used to it from ogling the thing till my group arrives ;)

The red anodized bolts/hanger are a very nice touch too. Top cap, bottle cages, derailleur hanger. I'm thinking I'll need to get a wheelset with red nipples, and some rear derailleur bolts to match ;)

53x12

by 53x12

aaric, that was a quick turn around. Didn't you just order the AR FRD frameset earlier this week?

When you get a chance, take a few pictures and post them if you don't mind. Would be interested in seeing more pictures of the FRD frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com