11 Speed Di2 Front Shifting Troubles

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

goodboyr

by goodboyr

And here's a 10 speed Dura Ace Di2 7970 setup with the SRM Dura Ace 7900 crank, Shimano 7900 50/34 chain rings, after probably 5000 km.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I mean can you warranty a crank for that or am I just SOL? The more I have been playing with this it seems it is a ramp and pin/crank thing. I have exhausted the FD.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

I think the marks on the crank and rings are the symptom, not the cause. And I don't think that would affect shifting quality. As others have said, and in my experience with over 20 di2 installs of various configs, the front shifting should be pretty perfect, and that goes for all kinds of cranks and rings. There has got to be something about your FD or setup that's not right. Good luck.

Causidicus

by Causidicus

Last edited by Causidicus on Tue Jun 17, 2014 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

goodboyr wrote:I think the marks on the crank and rings are the symptom, not the cause. And I don't think that would affect shifting quality. As others have said, and in my experience with over 20 di2 installs of various configs, the front shifting should be pretty perfect, and that goes for all kinds of cranks and rings. There has got to be something about your FD or setup that's not right. Good luck.

I appreciate all of your help. I guess a new bike is in order... :wink:

scico

by scico

Hi.
I have Ultegra 6870 with SWorks crankset and SRAM chainrings.
With 34 is absolutely silent in every gearing, but with 50 there is a kind of noise increasing with cadence and speed. The shifting is flawless.
I have noticed that the support bolt is not touching the frame, so it's useless...do you suggest me to adjust it to touch the frame? Could it be the solution for the noise?

kode54

by kode54

maybe the chain is too short...causing too much tension?

did you set up your RD in the 5th gear...so the trim works properly? (or is that with the older 7090?)
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

goodboyr

by goodboyr

scico wrote:Hi.
I have Ultegra 6870 with SWorks crankset and SRAM chainrings.
With 34 is absolutely silent in every gearing, but with 50 there is a kind of noise increasing with cadence and speed. The shifting is flawless.
I have noticed that the support bolt is not touching the frame, so it's useless...do you suggest me to adjust it to touch the frame? Could it be the solution for the noise?

Just set everything up from scratch according to the dealers manual. That support bolt should not be "useless", and my suspicion is if that's not set up properly, other adjustments are out too, so going back to square one and following the dealers manual is a good first step. If the problem remains, report back at that time.

http://si.shimano.com/php/download.php?file=pdf/dm/DM-UL0001-00-ENG.pdf

Ltoddokc

by Ltoddokc

LoggingMiles, have you resolved your issues? I'm having similar problems on my 6870 with Praxis rings.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

I never solved it with Praxis Rings. I swapped to a DA 9000 crank and all is well in the world. Follow Goodboyr's tips they are all spot on. The support bolt is definitely NOT useless, and probably the most critical thing to the entire front shifting experience. Once you have the derailleur cage perfectly parallel to the rings and 1-3mm above the largest chainring, then just setup the limits as it states in the dealer manual and you will be good to go.

When the entire setup is Shimano I have had a flawless experience with the shifting.

showdown

by showdown

I know this is totally one of those silly questions but have you lubricated your drivetrain with a good high quality lube? I ask only as I've found that and dry DA9070 chain is loud and certainly not as smooth at one that's been properly lubricated.

Also, is your crank properly seated in the bearings, and then bearings in the frame. Do you need wave washers for preload or anything else like that? If there's any lateral movement it'll totally throw off the shifting.

Are the chainrings bent at all? Again, silly question but worth a look.

My DA9070 was a cinch to setup and worked flawlessly out of the box- I hope you can get yours resolved as it's an amazing system. I feel for ya. Good luck.

LoggingMiles

by LoggingMiles

kode54 wrote:maybe the chain is too short...causing too much tension?

did you set up your RD in the 5th gear...so the trim works properly? (or is that with the older 7090?)

Yup. If you set it up via the dealer manual using their Big/Big technique then I bet it is a tad short. In the dealer manual they also show you the small/small method for cassettes smaller than 28. Use that method and see if you need to add a link. If you do, add a link and I bet it goes away. When it was time for a new chain I added a link and when riding in the 53 there is considerably less noise.

MNX1024

by MNX1024

Don't want to create a new thread with the same title, so I'm going to ask my question here.

My problem is different from the OP's, but still a front derailleur issue. Basically in the small chainring and big cog, the chain would rub against the front derailleur cage. No matter how much I back out with the low limit screw, the auto trim takes it back to the same position where the chain rubs. Anyone know how I can solve this?

goodboyr

by goodboyr

You need to follow the dealers manual and in particular the part where you put the FD into micro adjust mode. That will allow you to adjust the position. As well, in you case I would check to ensure the csge is exactly parallel with the chainrings. A slight off parallel could cause this.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MNX1024

by MNX1024

You can micro adjust the FD? Thought that mode was available only for the rear. Mind telling me which page in the dealer manual I should be looking at for micro adjust mode on the front? I'm assuming the same method as the rear, hold the button down on the front junction until it lights up red? If so, did that and there's no movement on the FD when pressing button on my left shifter.