21 Gram Pump

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sm4100

by sm4100

It sounds like you haven't opened the supposedly "bad" Ipump that a friend of mine sent to you. Sorry to say but the video is clear this pump was back to you because it was not working. I have tried many times and my friend told me he had the same experience. Now you say something different without even opening the pump ?!?!? I trust my tests and confirmed with somebody else he also thought the pump was useless at that point. Why should he send you back a "good" pump? As far as I heard from him he got a new one exactly same looking pump but immediately he could feel the difference. .. I can't say because I haven't tried his new ipump. He even paid the shipping from his pocket so I don't believe he was sending it without a good reason, anyway... no offence here but for me the Barbieri Nana is a much better choice in many ways.

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Last edited by kbbpll on Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

barsook77

by barsook77

What is the max P.S.I. on a few of the most common brands?

Vittoria Corsa SC II Tubular 200 P.S.I

Continental Competition Tubular Tire 170 P.S.I.

Tufo C S33 Pro Tubular Clincher 175 P.S.I.

Veloflex Carbon Tubular 145 P.S.I.

Not that I would ever run them at that ... but you asked!

ipump

by ipump

hi everyone.
after a flat tire, what pressure do you pump up too?
how long does the whole process take from getting off the bike to back on the bike due to a flat tire?
do all of you carry tire irons? i have seen racers peel the tire off with their hands while wearing gloves.
morris

DMF

by DMF

All right, I'm gonna help you out here as you seem to have some trouble grasping the market...

First of all, we want a pump that goes to 150psi but we never pump to more than 1001-110psi. The reason for this being that we don't want to be pumping at the end of the pumps capacity for the last 20-30psi which is damn hard work on ANY pump, yours too. I.e we want the 2/3 part strokes towards 100psi to be close to as easy as the 3/3 part of the strokes. This is a game of capacity. And can only be achieved when you never use more than ~70% of the pumps total capacity. This is where 150psi comes in.

Also, please try to understand that a pump made out of crap will always be crap. There is a reason Lezyne makes all aluminum internals with very solid connections, rods and such. It is absolutely vital to getting the pressure, liability and usability in real life. You have to understand the difference between real world physics and crappy desktop products that only work in theory. For instance you can't make the rod twice as long and half as wide because the rod will be too flimsy for the pump to work in real life.

About levers. Some tire/rim combos will allow you to work off a tyre without levers. Some don't. This is also affected by if the tire is fairly new or much used. At least 90% of riders still carry tire levers for clinchers.

RimClencher

by RimClencher

It's probably safe to assume almost all road cyclists with clincher tyres carry 2 or more tyre irons. It's very hard to remove a tyre without them.

My personal requirements for a pocket pump are pretty much identical to kbbpll's above. It's what my current pump does for me (125 g).

You only need to consider the pumping time, not the tube changing/repair time. Personally, the upper limit for me would be around 5 minutes to reach 100-110 psi.

mattr

by mattr

ipump wrote:how long does the whole process take from getting off the bike to back on the bike due to a flat tire?
If it's my bike, i'm usually done and back on the bike before the people i'm riding with have finished mucking around with using it as an excuse for toilet break/clothing rearrangement/banana eating.

couple of minutes and 100 psi (ish).

Haven't used a tyre lever on the road for ~3 years. And that was in subzero temps, blowing a gale and sleeting sideways. So i didn't want to take my gloves off. FWIW, i don't even think i have tyre levers in my tool pouch anymore.

And the gloves/tyre removal is a red herring, gloves don't help very much at all. In many cases they are a hindrance.

sm4100

by sm4100

Pump inventors should focus their attention to build a reliable pump for at least 100 psi with regular pumping effort and around 4-5min max pumping time on a light but primarily functional pump. It looks like this was not achieved yet with the current version of ipump. Forget tire change and levers for now and show a us real pump

mattr

by mattr

Or just use gas.

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

There are certainly golden lessons to be learned from other innovators here on WW.

The good guys use WW as an incredible resource providing insight into customer needs. Following sound, robust and manufacturable design, they refine their innovations based on user experience and provide an interface for engaged customer feedback, without being defensive.

The bad guys flit from one design to the next, poorly execute each one and then move on to the next project leaving a wake of disappointed users and broken promises. Products are released too early in development without the integration of user input.

Up to you 21g pump guy - which one are you?

ipump

by ipump

hi everyone, its morris the inventor of iPUMPMICRO and hopefully to to come iPUMP!!!
I have a simple question for you hard core bicyclist-weight-weeners!!!
how important is a gram less?????
what do you want your bicycle emergency pump to have!!!!
morris

ghisallo2003

by ghisallo2003

The ability to pump up tyres.

I would start there and then worry about how much it weighs.

mattr

by mattr

I'd start with a basic course in comprehension. You've got 12 pages of customer wants here.
Then, while you are at it, I'd do an engineering course.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

He's got 12 pages of free marketing. Maybe not the best marketing, but it's free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipump

by ipump

hi everyone, it me morris, the inventor of iPUMP and iPUMPMICRO.
I have to thank you all. Thank you!!!
I have decided on the next iPUMP to start marketing and it is exactly what you want.
Pressure and speed using regular, not supper human, strength.
I have built many prototypes and this is my favorite by far.
Thank you and love you guys,
Safe riding,
morris