Felt 2014 AR1

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ultyguy

by ultyguy

2 questions please....

1- I was moving my stem down last night, undid the top cap, swapped stem and spacers around, screwed it all back together again (multiple times) and can't seem to get a bit of wiggle out of the headset, any pointers? Have tried tightening the expander with a 5mm a bit (reverse thread) but no luck.

2- Anyone tried a lower headset topper? The cone thing is huge.
Last edited by ultyguy on Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mize

by Mize

1 - uh...the cap is the adjuster and the stem holds it all in place:
http://sheldonbrown.com/headsets.html (read threadless)

2 - many people have (though I've not yet)

Tenlegs

by Tenlegs

ultyguy wrote:1- I was moving my stem down last night, undid the top cap, swapped stem and spacers around, screwed it all back together again (multiple times) and can't seem to get a bit of wiggle out of the headset, any pointers?

Sometimes the tapered compression ring that sits on/in the top bearing gets a bit stuck so when you tighten the top cap you can't remove all play,
Take the bearing cover and seal off, wiggle the tapered compression ring up a bit and apply a little bit of grease around the steerer and top bearing before reassembly.

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

ultyguy wrote:2- Anyone tried a lower headset topper? The cone thing is huge.

the middle sized has been used on a few bikes in the thread. Can't say i've seen a 8mm or less on an AR1/FRD. Yea huge cones look real bad. Image

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

I'm currently using the low stack headset cap, no issue as you would expect. I've been slowly lowering the front end, I now have the low stack cover and a 5mm spacer.

To the guy having issues with the headset re build, make sure the compression bung inside the steerer isn't moving, I've found mine slips quite easily.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Tenlegs wrote:
ultyguy wrote:1- I was moving my stem down last night, undid the top cap, swapped stem and spacers around, screwed it all back together again (multiple times) and can't seem to get a bit of wiggle out of the headset, any pointers?

Sometimes the tapered compression ring that sits on/in the top bearing gets a bit stuck so when you tighten the top cap you can't remove all play,
Take the bearing cover and seal off, wiggle the tapered compression ring up a bit and apply a little bit of grease around the steerer and top bearing before reassembly.

Cool thanks, will give it a shot. So annoying to have it and not ride it yet!

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

I've been greatly enjoying my Exergy team bike, but is it really true the AR1 has a longer head tube in the 54cm size? The F series head tube comes in definitely lower than my old Tarmac's 140, and I've been much more efficient (and cornering/descending better) on the Felt.

trilocus

by trilocus

Yes ar1 has more stack ( longer head tube) than the f series in the same size

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Thanks for the reply. On the one hand: dang. On the other: that tempers my lust and keeps me happier on my current frame.

mitchgixer6

by mitchgixer6

There are ways round a higher head tube. Could you not run a -17 stem? Bars with a bigger drop at the hoods?

aaric

by aaric

Anyone happen to know if the internal battery seatpost hanger comes with the AR3 EPS? or is available after the fact?

I'm contemplating pulling the trigger on the bike, but don't want to stuck with campy if I don't like it...

aaric

by aaric

Nevermind...Pulled the trigger on a FRD frameset instead. :shock: :unbelievable:

53x12

by 53x12

:thumbup: Nice. Let us know when you get it. I might be tempted to get a '15.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

53x12

by 53x12

Came across this AR1 build. Sure is an attractive looking frame.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

Mize

by Mize

Sweet!
Colorado Springs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com