Giant TCR SL Headset for 1/18 to 1-1/2 fork

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I was given a TCR SL a few weeks ago, made it a frame for testing bits on. What i decided i would do was the run discs on, just for un, so i can swap out wheelsets and go ride cross, but its main use will be for the road. anyhow i ordered a Tapered 1-1/8 to 1-1/2 tapered fork, which is between countries currently, but the stupid Giant overdrive is made for 1-1/8 to 1-1/4 tapered forks. I was led astray by being told at the LBS that it ran a standard upper bearing and then on the stock fork it ran a chunkier lower bearing, therefore it should run a normal 1-1/2 fork and bearing happily. So sure enough in confidence i ordered the headset from them and lo and behold the thing is not even close to fitting the 1-1/2 bearing in the bottom... So heres my question...

1) Do i Search in vain for a bearing to run the 47mm OD and 1-1/2 ID
2) Chuck the fork to a machinst and ask them to turn the lower crown to 1-1/4 to run a giant headset (about 3mm per side would be taken off)
3) Spin up a couple brass bushings to use as a lower bearing instead...

Im really annoyed the guy at the bike shop that sells giant assured me it would work out, and now its not an easy bolt together thing.

Any opinions?
I guess there's worse hobbies than making a bike light? Right?

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Isn't the overdrive 1 1/4 upper 1 1/2 lower? If anyone makes any sort of reducer bearing it'll be Chris king.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

The fork that's come out of it is 1-1/8 upper 1-1/4 lower. It's 2011 model SL TCR.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If the fork is indeed 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 than the fork is from 2008 or 2009 (can't quite remember when they switched.)

If the frame is indeed 2011 then I would just get the correct fork from Giant.

FYI if the frame is also 2008/2009 than there is a free replacement for the headset. The stock item could not be adjusted properly - it would tighten on its own.

Riding cross on a TCR SL???. Good luck with that cause you'll be doing it on 23 mm or maybe 25 mm tires.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

mattyNor

by mattyNor

Right I don't know what is was thinking :P

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Well the fork I had brought was a cross fork and had the room for a big front tyre, the rear will squeeze a 25. Hmmmm

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

So current option is to ditch the aftermarket fork I brought, buy a standard 1-1/8 fork and headset and run one of these shims which take the headset lower bearing from a 1-1/4 to a 1-1/8 lower OD

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Oswald

by Oswald

Your best option would be to sell/trade it for a proper cross frame...

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Yeah if this is going to see any off road use I'd say fuggetaboutit. The rear triangle on the TCR SL is very tight. A 25 mm slick will barely clear the brake bridge and is equally tight behind the BB. Space behind the seat tube isn't much better. Sorry, just not going to work.

Now set it up for road use and you have yourself a real weapon.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

By off road I mean gravel roads around where we holiday, not proper cross racing. Should have clarified.

Fork and original headset is sold, now trying to find a fork that is to my liking

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry but you will have the same problem. 25 mm tires on gravel won't be fun.

Oswald

by Oswald

25mm is doable for the occasional gravel section. But there is a big chance of getting a flat tire or falling on your face. I would go for at least a 28mm tire. And that won't fit the TCR.

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

I'm not talking 80km at a time, just splashes to liven up rides and all that. If it doesn't fit I'll run a 23. No big deal.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

weeracerweenie

by weeracerweenie

Anyone know of a 1-1/8 non tapered 700c road fork that's not mega dollars?