Trouble adjusting direct mount brake

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

merlin3008

by merlin3008

Hey all...I'm building up a new ride featuring an Ultegra direct mount brake. The front setup really easily, but the rear is proving to be super tricky. For some reason the brake appears to be off center. I cannot get the arm on the drive side of the bike to open far enough. It doesn't seem to be a spring tension issue. It appears to be the end of it's range of motion. It's so off center that the brake moves the wheel over when the brake is engaged. Any ideas?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Housing too short?

Rear housing needs to be just right.

Other than that it's the normal centering procedure for which I use a slim wrench and watch the wheel for any movement as I apply the brake.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

merlin3008

by merlin3008

Ahhhh so a cone wrench near the mounting bolts actually does something? couldn't figure that out. I'll play with it.

merlin3008

by merlin3008

And I don't even have the cable hooked up yet. I just mount the brake and already have issues touching the rim without any cable tension at all.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Although my reply was not completely wrong, I was not understanding "direct mount" at first.

On the Universal Cycles site there is this customer comment which may assist:

Did not come with install instructions and i tried to find em online but couldn't (that was until after i finished installing em that i found em on shimanos dealer manual website.)

Unfortunately depending on the bike you will be using em on more then likely you will need to re-do the rear cable housing and possibly the rear cable. Nothing a trip to the LBS couldn't cure but it was added install time.

Warning: Setting up the rear brake on a Madone 5-6-7 series with direct mount is a PITA. Centering em is much easier with these then the bontrager but the cable routing on the rear caliper arm is a nightmare. Only thing ive yet to figure out is why the rear lever requires slightly more force then the front. Otherwise they feel incredible.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM