AX Lightness Vial EVO

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

marcob wrote:Ready!

Weight: 5,75 kg
Build: Sram Red 22, KCNC C7 brakes, THM M3 crankset, Zipp SL bar, Extralite stem, Procraft seatpost, Tune Komm Vor saddle, Time expresso pedals, Enve 3.4 clinchers

that looks great. love the hint of orange.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

That is some seat drop!
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

AXAxel
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by AXAxel

That indeed is quite a drop :!: :twisted: But definitely a very cool build and also great weight given the size (of the bike and rider). Encourages me to indeed be setting up a customer's gallery (once more pics became available).
Eager to hear about your riding experiences as well!

spytech wrote:So when do the wheels ship?

Sooner than you may eventually expect: Keep an eye on Facebook and/or our website :twisted: :thumbup:

/Nils

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

marcob wrote:Ready!

Weight: 5,75 kg
Build: Sram Red 22, KCNC C7 brakes, THM M3 crankset, Zipp SL bar, Extralite stem, Procraft seatpost, Tune Komm Vor saddle, Time expresso pedals, Enve 3.4 clinchers

With that build I would have epxected it to be lighter, then again 3.4 clinchers aren't the lightest of wheels. Still looks killer! :thumbup:

Arlberg

by Arlberg

I am also surprised at that weight, I would have expected it to be considerably lighter than that too.

Especially given that this STEVENS bike weighs 4.9kg with Di2, which is considerably heavier than SRAM red and has a heavier frame than the Vial EVO.

http://www.stevensbikes.de/2014/index.php?bik_id=233

My build will have DI2 and Lightweight Meilenstein clinchers and I am aiming for about 5kg.

jooo

by jooo

Really Arlberg? It's an XL with ENVE Smart clinchers/CK hubs and the heavier 3T fork etc. Basically every single part on the Stevens build except for the frame and Di2 transmission is lighter than marcob's build. Not hard to figure out why it's heavier is it?

Krull

by Krull

jooo wrote:Basically every single part on the Stevens build except for the frame and Di2 transmission is lighter than marcob's build. Not hard to figure out why it's heavier is it?

shure. and: the difference in frame-weight is, with 100 gramm at most, the smallest factor!

marcob`s vial evo looks really nice, even in this size. better pictures would be great!

btw: noticed marcobs parlee. wouldn`t sell it-very nice frameset! :thumbup:

marcob

by marcob

Well, this is the weight i was expecting. The wheels are about 1475 grams, so with some carbon tubulars you can loose easy 400 grams. My own weight is 82 kg and i'm 1,93m tall, so the build has to be solid and i don't want to take risk with lighter (and probably more expensive) parts.

The fork (after cutting, but with ring) was 323 grams. The frame without the all bearings will be around 700 grams, I don't think you can find a lighter frame in size XL. And for sure not for the price of the Vial Evo.

jvanv8

by jvanv8

Can anyone speculate (since only 1 or 2 people here have ridden one) how the frame might handle compared to other framesets in the 1kg category (with the Scapula fork)?
The Addict SL, Cannondale SuperSix EVO are 2 production framesets that come to mind with slightly less cachet than the Vial EVO, but perhaps the mass produced frame are slightly more refined when it comes down to details?
The cable routing looks similar to the new Addict however it might be good to hear some first hand accounts on how easy it is to install/maintain and if any noise or issues emerge on the road.
What type of headset does the Vial EVO require?
As for the BB, am I right to assume that a BB386 EVO such as this THM M3 bottom bracket (67g) will work?
How long is the manufacturer warranty? (I can only find info on CrashReplacement policy)
Last edited by jvanv8 on Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AX Vial Evo: 4970g
Addict SL : 5235g
My Cycling Blog
Strava: Wayward Cyclist

marcob

by marcob

jvanv8 wrote:Can anyone speculate (since only 1 or 2 people here have ridden one) how the frame might handle compared to other framesets in the 1kg category (with the Scapula fork)?
The Addict SL, Cannondale SuperSix EVO are 2 production framesets that come to mind with slightly less cachet than the Vial EVO, but perhaps the mass produced frame are slightly more refined when it comes down to details?
The cable routing looks similar to the new Addict however it might be good to hear some first hand accounts on how easy it is to install/maintain and if any noise or issues emerge on the road.
What type of headset does the Vial EVO require?
As for the BB, am I right to assume that a BB386 EVO such as this THM M3 bottom bracket (67g) will work?
How long is the manufacturer warranty? (I can only find info on CrashReplacement policy)

Today was my first ride. I can compare it to an Parlee Z5 and a Cervelo S5. First impressions are very positive, the bike feels very direct, stiff and fast, but still comfortable. Have to do some more miles to get better impression.

For the BB the frame uses a direct fit BB386, so you don't have to use the THM cups. You can directly mount your THM M3 crankset. I have contacted THM, they advised me to use no spacers on the drive side and 2mm of spacers on the non-drive side.

trikobe

by trikobe

When you mean direct fit bb386, do you mean u just need 2 x 6806 bearings to use the THM cranks?

marcob

by marcob

trikobe wrote:When you mean direct fit bb386, do you mean u just need 2 x 6806 bearings to use the THM cranks?

When you get the frame, the bearing are already pressed in the frame, directly without cups.

Arlberg

by Arlberg

I'm very interested to hear how this ax-lightness frame rides and performs compared to the Lightweight Urgestalt. Has anyone ridden both?

Also just how the frame quality and finish compares between the German made Ax-lightness Vial Evo and the Asian made Lightweight Urgestalt....
Last edited by Arlberg on Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kode54

by kode54

marcob wrote:Today was my first ride. I can compare it to an Parlee Z5 and a Cervelo S5. First impressions are very positive, the bike feels very direct, stiff and fast, but still comfortable. Have to do some more miles to get better impression.

good to hear about the initial ride impression. waiting to hear after more miles.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mnmasotto

by mnmasotto

Has anyone elso received their frame?